★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Choobrie - now on App Store (FREE for limited time)

06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Choobrie - now on App Store (FREE for limited time)

This game made by fans of Pac-Man has no dots in the maze but it has what original Pac-Man doesn't have - several levels and better graphics.

Choobrie is a cute and funny creature who likes candies very much. He travels across various worlds looking for candies and cakes. Candies can bring Choobrie to the next world or give him power to eat monsters he otherwise would have to avoid. Choobrie also likes some world-specific food and treasures.

First release includes 5 worlds to explore, more worlds to come soon.

App Store link:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=319739112&mt=8

Gameplay video:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Prab; 08-10-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: embedded video
06-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
This game made by fans of Pac-Man has no dots in the maze but it has what original Pac-Man doesn't have - several levels and better graphics!
Actually, if I wanna play Pacman I'll be better off playing Pacman

No seriously, why don't you write a little bit about gameplay and maybe post a gameplay video or something? Would be quite helpful.

06-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthas View Post
Actually, if I wanna play Pacman I'll be better off playing Pacman

No seriously, why don't you write a little bit about gameplay and maybe post a gameplay video or something? Would be quite helpful.
Haha, this is not an exact clone with dots because I don't want to violate Namco copyrights But I still wanted to fill original pacman gaps - a single level and poor graphics.

The goal is to eat yummies that appear in the maze randomly and avoid monsters. If you manage to eat the Big Cake you become immune to monsters and can eat them during the next 15 seconds (acts like a strength pill in Pacman). When you eat 5 special yummies that become displayed in the top right corner you are taken to the next level. Every level adds you one life but there is a limit of 6 lives. On hard mode you face 6 monsters which is quite challenging.
06-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Added screenshots to initial post

Video coming soon...
06-27-2009, 03:13 AM
Looks promising, but I need to hear someone's impressions =O

back
06-27-2009, 12:59 PM
The 'poor graphics' is what sold the iPod version of Pac-Man to me. I think it's charming ^^
06-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Thanks for your reply!

Haha, this is not an exact clone with dots because I don't want to violate Namco copyrights But I still wanted to fill original pacman gaps - a single level and poor graphics.
I'm having trouble understanding the way you're trying to promote your game. You're saying it has better graphics than Pac-man...
Pac-man was made 29 years ago, we'll be playing your game on a 3.5 inch screen on a handheld electronic device capable of handling graphics that not even the Super Nintendo can handle. Technology has improved just a bit since 1980.

It's not fair in the least to say that Pac-man has poor graphics. And if anything, the reason Pac-Man was such a hit was due to it's simplicity and elegance.

GameCenter/OpenFeint/Plus+/Agon/Gameloft Live/Xbox LIVE/PSN ID: VoodooVyper
06-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Pac-Man is timeless.

No other justification needs to be made.
06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I love Pac-Man's clean interface. I guess it's one of those things you can't clone as expect to be as good as the original. This game just seems... too cluttered.
06-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
I'm having trouble understanding the way you're trying to promote your game. You're saying it has better graphics than Pac-man...
Pac-man was made 29 years ago, we'll be playing your game on a 3.5 inch screen on a handheld electronic device capable of handling graphics that not even the Super Nintendo can handle. Technology has improved just a bit since 1980.

It's not fair in the least to say that Pac-man has poor graphics. And if anything, the reason Pac-Man was such a hit was due to it's simplicity and elegance.
Yeah that's true, Pac-Man was made 29 years ago but its iPhone version was made less then 1 year ago. If you read its reviews you will see that some customers are complaining about it having 29 year old design and only one level. When I looked through the market I was very surprised that there was no modern game of that genre on the App Store and I thought why don't I create such a game... and here I am.

Regarding iPhone graphics sorry but you are wrong - it has hardware 3D acceleration and can handle things many times more complex that my game is. Super Nintendo is no match here (if you really mean 16-bit super nintendo, not wii).