★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Ronnie O'Sullivan Snooker released

06-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Ronnie O'Sullivan Snooker released

Ronnie O'Sullivan Snooker - I-Play - $4.99

"Within Ronnie O'Sullivan's Snooker, you play through the highlights of Ronnie's career culminating with his famous World Championship wins. Have you got what it takes to re-create his many stunning victories?

Ronnie guides you through the game, giving advice, even taking you back to his home table where you can perfect your cueing action in his very own practice room. Ronnie O'Sullivan is without doubt the most realistic game on the iPhone with amazing gameplay and stunning graphics. Even better, you get to play opponents all over the world via Wi-Fi and the internet in our unique multiplayer game modes!"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	4992   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	4994  

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 06-27-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added more photos
06-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Would've sworn it said Rosie O'Donnel

But holy heck, look at those graphics

06-27-2009, 12:45 AM
For those who missed the thread in the upcoming games forum, here's the teaser from a week ago:

Youtube link | Pop Up

The graphics look really really nice

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
06-27-2009, 04:23 AM
But what about the gameplay? Is it better than International Snooker (which I think is very good)?
06-27-2009, 04:38 AM
agree with iGewappnet - we need to know more about gameplay - sounds a little strange - the way it says you get to "..play through the highlights of Ronnie's career"

if that means playing at various career levels - that's great - just sounds a little more 'pre-defined' than I'd ideally like

International Snooker is great fun (even if the computer AI opponents play unbelievable shots at times) but there's always room for another snooker game on my iPhone

If anyone's tried this - please let us know your thoughts - if I cave and get this, I'll be back too
06-27-2009, 04:59 AM
@ menom, the AI in IS really let it down for me. The better opponents often make ridiculous shots. Even when I play a good safety or snooker them, which is a major part of Snooker - it what separates it from pool really. I need to know how the AI in this game compares...

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD
06-27-2009, 05:02 AM
international snooker is not good at all.

i hope this snooker game will feature some more freedom in terms of camera perspective and guidelines (switch them OFF) as well as better physics
06-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Think I'm going to get this, love snooker games.

Will let you know what I think
06-27-2009, 05:46 AM
I bought it and here are my impressions:

In short: International Snooker is still the best Snooker game on the iPhone. Ronnie O'Sullivan Snooker is great for his fans and the graphics are better than in International Snooker. But the gameplay is too restricted and it is too easy.

You can play full games in which you play as Ronnie against Ronnie in different ages (which is rather strange). I played against "Ronnie at the age of 7" (the easiest) and the AI was totally dumb (foul in every play!). And you can play in career mode in which you re-play only selected situations of Ronnies's career, not complete games. That's more like managing different challenges to proceed to the next challenge.

You can control in two different modes: Full 2D view from above and a 3D view. You can also switch in a view-only mode to go around the complete table. It is possible to change the angle, the power and the spin. This is quite nice, although the actual aiming is too imprecise. But that doesn't matter as the holes are too big and it is very easy to pocket the balls.

So it is fun in a way, but not the real Snooker deal. If you are a fan of Ronnie, you should get it. Otherwise get it only in addition to International Snooker.
06-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Send a message via MSN to synagence
Agree with iGewappnet's comments in the main ...

The career is just that... snippits of R O'S career 'highlights', it drops you into various parts of a game and you just finish a frame or other challenges

The aiming is nice, but i'd like it to offer quick and slow queue movement to get precise aiming

The graphics and framerate and general physics are pretty much spot on ... and its great to play

The spin control is a little poor imho .. you hold finger over the queueball and move the strike spot but you can't see where it is cos your finger blocks it ...so its a little hit and miss ... maybe an improvement would be to allow you to select the ball and then allow the movement to be tracked from anywhere on screen until you click the ball again ... would all more control.

Haven't played too much of the AI yet in quick-matches but i would like a championship mode where (even if they're fake opponents) you can progress in your own way through a championship.

Overall, its a good game, could be improved a lot with some relatively minor tweaks (aiming and spin control mainly) and the tournament option would be nice but i could live without

I still like International Snooker but there is room in my life for both of them.... is it worth 2.99? I think so ... if you're a snooker fan obviously ... it offers a different approach than IS and is sufficiently different to offer a different challenge