Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Ronfar View Post
I disagree, auto runners have been done to death, we need more standard Platformers and not based on speed runs (cuz those have been down to death aswell)

It should be something like Megaman or castlevania. Also puzzles, I'd like for a platformer filled with a good bit of puzzles to go along with fighting and maneuvering etc..

Story is important too... As well as music, graphics(don't mean 3d) and most importantly last appeal and longevity. I feel like most Platformers end too soon I'd like one that lasts twice or 3 times as long.

Epic Boss battles are another must...

Agree with the games listed above also I still define games with platforming and fighting as Platformers rather than action/adventure(I dunno I guess it depends but i feel like too many games are focusing too much on just the platforming aka Mikey shorts...not that it's not good its just not the kind of platformer I prefer)

I guess my favorite Platformers ever would be magical quest starring Mickey mouse, super Mario world 2 yoshi's island and Donkey Kong Country 2/3 there needs to be more games similar to these on iOS. The closest to it is I guess terra noctis, shantae and froggato.. But even those fall a bit short too the great console Platformers of old...
Check out Vergence. It's the closes thing to a Metroidvania in the App Store.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Check out Vergence. It's the closes thing to a Metroidvania in the App Store.
Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

I LOVE platformers.

Its worth going over some of the best ones over the last 30 years, from Manic Miner to Sonic to Mario etc.

Variety is good in a platformer, eg i remember Batman/Mario Land on the Gameboy (mono), mostly a platformer, the odd section where you're in a vehicle and so you're constantly moving up and down and shooting.

Some levels need more platforming jumping skills, others more 'shooting' skills for the enemies. Variety is good.

Your Manos game i really enjoyed, i do think Respawn points are very important as its so frustrating going back through a long level or restarting again, make sure you can save your progress as well !

Both your platform games i've got and i do really enjoy. Again i think a variety, eg one level might have lots of enemies so its a bit 'contra'-ish so you have to shoot left/right/enemies above as well etc. Other ones more platforms so more jumping. Disappearing/crumbley platforms are always good.

But worth doing some homework (sure you are) and checking iOS games which get it right, Storm in a Teacup, Meganoid, Stardash, Paper Monsters, Little Acorns and others. Look again at Mario/Sonic and see what they did right (or wrong). To me Super Mario Land on the Gameboy (black and white) is one of the best platform games i've played, simple graphics, its all about the gameplay at the end of the day.

Look forward to your next platforming game though.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:59 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Yeah, I love platformers too, I remember Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy and all this back on my Acorn Electron (BBC Micro), and these days I'm enjoying Rayman Origins and Sonic Generations and the like on my Xbox, and the Mario Galaxy series on the Wii was amazing. I would say my favourite 2D platformer ever was Yoshi's Island though.

Unfortunately on iOS there are certain budget issues. For example some people dislike how AWESOME Land has variations on the same boss rather than a different boss for each world, but when prices are a race to 99 cents, there's just not development budget in there to program multiple bosses if you see what I mean.

I dream of creating a Yoshi's Island type game, where I can just pour all my ideas and creativity into it without worrying, but the risk is that you can spend months or years on a project and end up making about $200 total on it, so unfortunately you have to play it safe on this platform =/ ONE day though!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I like all these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (425.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:35 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Buttons...real ones.

/thread
Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I like all these:
Yep some great ones there. Got most of them and i'll check out the others.

I've got (Ahem) 7 folders full of platform games so i'll have to list them at some point !! On screen buttons work very well on platformers (and also icade compatible !)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:51 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Bean's Quest
Mutant Mudds
Soosiz

Those are among my very favourite platform experiences on ANY console in the last year or so.

Personally I like secrets in my platformer games. Secret walls that hide things, secret exits, secret levels. I love secrets! (Don't tell the wife).
Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

My current project is looking like it'll be a pretty epic platform game, but it's quite different in its gameplay as an attempt to create a deep platform game which doesn't use virtual buttons. Not a runner, not a platformer, something different altogether... It's extremely fun to play so far, I'm looking forward to unveiling it in the new year.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantJ View Post
My current project is looking like it'll be a pretty epic platform game, but it's quite different in its gameplay as an attempt to create a deep platform game which doesn't use virtual buttons. Not a runner, not a platformer, something different altogether... It's extremely fun to play so far, I'm looking forward to unveiling it in the new year.
Looking forward to it!