Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

I downloaded based on the recommendations above from ppl that have been around for a long time.

My advice is to quickly get this game before the Dev realizes that they should probably be selling this game for more than a buck.

It's similar to triple town in terms of matching 3 items to make something stronger, than matching 3 of those to make something even stronger (ex. brown square makes a basic fighter, 3 of which makes a barbarian, 3 of which makes a you get the idea.). Different coloured squares makes a different type of character (ex. sorcerers, ninjas, etc...).

Unlike triple town, there are no bears walking around. Instead there are waves of enemies that show up, who want to harm your VIP. The VIP you have to protect (like a princess) has a certain number of hit points. The enemies also have hit points. The defenders you make can be activated using Action Points (AP). AP are gained as you make matches. Then when you have enough AP's, you use your defenders to hit at the enemies (stronger defenders will hit for more).

So basically you have to kill off the waves of defenders prior to them killing off your VIP.

Briefly other things that add to the depth (all of which are explained in a playable tutorial):
- there are obstacles that sometimes have to be placed, match these to get something useful
- once a defender uses up all their available attacks (level 1 guys can only attack once, level 2 twice...) they turn into obstacles
- some attacks grant negative status effects (such as blindness)
- the bad guys also have sorcerers that pop in and out of view (can only be attacked when in view) that can grant positive status effects to their team (such as healing or armor boosts)
- there are some magical special items that you sometimes get to help you out (ex. a megapixel that can automatically match any 2 like items or be used to heal your VIP)
- there is a store if you want to buy more magical special items (I haven't played enough, but would assume that you would not need to use this if you play well)
- there is one spot on the board that you can use as a storage space (similar to triple town)

Anyways, I only played the tutorial and first stage, but have a suspicion that it was a well spent buck.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
Ladies and Gentleman, we have here definitely Game of the Week Material in front of us...
Yes, yes.

I'm definitely liking Pixel Defenders Puzzle a lot! 36 levels AND an endless mode? Plus, it's all for just $1... Mhm.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Guess I'll probably buy this. All the big games, deep games, etc. I never end up playing. Partly due to the small screen size. This is embarrassing but I probably play Homerun Battle 2 more than anything else. :dodges rocks:

I saw this early this morning, but didn't know if it was a good game or someone just had access to clean pixel-art.
If you are still not sure about it then just wait a few more Minutes till I`m done with the Gameplay Trailer of the first few Quests. It`s pretty much shows you a tiny bit of the hole Gameplay overall while the Tutorial was sometimes so damn dry that I needed an Drink while playing it.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

And I`m out. Good Night World...
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

A clever take on Triple Town BUT...

-Endless mode is a HUGE disappointment! Take out everything that made this a unique take on the Triple Tiwn genre (Baddies, Hero Abilities, and Action points) and you have the Endless mode. Basically their own take on a Triple Town, play until you run out of moves.

-Buy your victory. Just like Triple Town, getting a high score means either lots of grinding before hand in earlier runs to save up a bunch of items or simply spending some IAP cash to buy them, but unlike Triple Town, there is no upper limit on item usage per session.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:01 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post

-Endless mode is a HUGE disappointment! Take out everything that made this a unique take on the Triple Tiwn genre (Baddies, Hero Abilities, and Action points) and you have the Endless mode. Basically their own take on a Triple Town, play until you run out of moves.

-Buy your victory. Just like Triple Town, getting a high score means either lots of grinding before hand in earlier runs to save up a bunch of items or simply spending some IAP cash to buy them, but unlike Triple Town, there is no upper limit on item usage per session.
Dang, maybe they can change that in an update? I really want this game to be a huge success! The levels so far are great.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post

- Endless mode:
Agree that the Endless mode is not as good as the regular levels, although it is slightly different than Triple Town.

- Buy your victory.
This really only applies to the Endless mode since it is the only mode that keeps a high score.

My take on it is that there's the Real Game, which is 36 levels of uniqueness that so far I have yet to need to use IAP because the "highest score" you can get is 3 stars. This part is well worth the asking price of $0.99. Then they just added Endless Mode as an extra mode for those people that want something to do after they have 3-starred all the levels of the Real Game.

My only gripe so far is that it's been too easy to get 3 stars, but I'm still early in the game.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dense View Post
This is Triple Town with a RPG spin. Don't bother thinking about it, just buy it.

There is IAP but it is minor and is more about being able to buy more of the special blocks. Not necessary to play the game at all and you earn them by just winning levels too.

Note for iPad users, it doesn't use the entire iPad display area. It is still native, but clearly hasnt been fully scaled to take advantage of it. Not even close to a gripe considering how good this game is.
Actually...now I'm thinking about it. I don't care for Triple Town; god only knows how many clones there have been of that game.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

A retro Triple Town RPG Hybrid? I have little to say about this game right now except that so far - one level after the tutorial - it seems top notch!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 PM

I can hear this game calling me to spend a dollar on it. I must obey!