Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-07-2013, 09:29 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to S-Mario
Default Maximus - Original Arcade Hack 'n Slasher (Relative Touch Controls) [Universal]

Youtube link | Pop Up

If anyone remembers us from making 'Toon Shooters', we've just released our arcade hack 'n slasher 'Maximus' - feel free to check it out, especially if you like classic D&D brawlers or modern stuff like castle crashers. We're using relative touch controls instead of virtual joystick, nothing fancy - just smoother.

It's a free game, there are a few in-apps, but you can obtain everything in the game fairly through gameplay. We don't force payment on players, just hoping with enough players people would be willing to chip in the odd dollar for something they feel been worth paying for.

Enjoy

(We're still working on the multiplayer functionality and want to make absolutely sure its 100% stable before releasing an update)
Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Downloading now; Toon Shooters was a blast... Skeptical about F2P.

Edt: Wow. The relative touch controls are crazy smooth.

Last edited by undeadcow; 06-07-2013 at 09:42 PM..
Old 06-07-2013, 09:53 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I think Maximus is more like a paid game which is free because we want that initial boost/exposure (and tbh we're really not great marketing guys), I dont like the regular F2P model where you have to pay for stages or something to that effect
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

This looks right up my alley. Downloading
Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 PM
iPhone 3GS

This week keeps getting better.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 PM

I am severely disappointed, I thought this would be "IAP if you feel like being generous", but it's more "You're getting killed over and over, and your revive tokens are gone, BUY SOME COINS!" Not to mention, no shop, just some gamble machine and some COMPLETELY unexplained skill(?) set, which does nothing as far as I know. Enemies deal regular damage, to your low health, and weapons are shared? So no difference between a lead sword, and an axe?
I was hoping for a CC clone, instead, I got a freemium, badly animated, repetitive app with no want for me to keep playing due to it's impossibility of getting better weapons without dishing out cash. Controls are as expected, smooth, but the fact that enemies take away, say 75% (usually) of your health before the boss, that leaves you 25% to kill bosses that only get tougher. Two out of five stars, nice try, but this is a freemium maggot begging for cash. Let's hope Quadropus Rampage isn't the same.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I am severely disappointed, I thought this would be "IAP if you feel like being generous"

Intended to be, yes - it will be if not the case.

But it's more "You're getting killed over and over..."

It may be too difficult, but what stage are you talking about? 1,2,3...?

"...revive tokens are gone, BUY SOME COINS!"

Revive tokens are optional, we don't want people to get blocked so early on to have to use em.

Not to mention, no shop just some gamble machine

Ok I can see the point on this one, although the machine isn't as bad as you make out

and some COMPLETELY unexplained skill(?) set, which does nothing as far as I know.

We decided to try and only explain the basics for the game and let the player learn
the rest if they are interested. I'm already doing a wikia to explain some of the
more detailed stuff.

Enemies deal regular damage, to your low health, and weapons are shared? So no
difference between a lead sword, and an axe?

Dual wielded weapons have faster attacks, double hit combos and are generally better
to combo with - they are different than single-handed weapons. I'm getting guilty
about not explaining all this in game :P

I was hoping for a CC clone, instead, I got a freemium, badly animated, repetitive app
with no want for me to keep playing due to it's impossibility of getting better weapons
without dishing out cash.

We can only try our best, we dont intend to make anyone 'dish out cash' sorry to
dissapoint.

Controls are as expected, smooth, but the fact that enemies take away, say 75%
(usually) of your health before the boss, that leaves you 25% to kill bosses that
only get tougher.

That's an issue if it turns out to be the case for the majority (for early levels anyway
I wouldnt expect to walk into inferno mode in diablo and walk through it)

Last edited by S-Mario; 06-07-2013 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: responding to quotes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:34 PM
iPhone 6 Plus

I just played through stage 3 (nice scenery by the way), got a new weapon, new skill and tried the gamble, got a burger of sort and sold it for a profit. I like the diversity in having allies one stage and another stage, blazing on a moving platform. What I can tell so far, the enemies did barely any damage and there's health-regen-chicken-thighs flying everywhere, but that may change in later stages. Coins come at a decent pace, but I imagine grinding is required, like in most games - free or premium. Will have to play a bit more before looking at the IAP. Quick question - is it possible to get new loot from replaying stages?

Last edited by Pham; 06-07-2013 at 11:37 PM..
Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Yup, you can get new loot from old stages, they're designed in a 'pool' format so stage 2-8 you'll get a certain level of items and stage 9-14 you'll receive another level of items (weapons armor rings).. dunno if that makes sense

Luck stat does play a small factor in how often you'll see items flying around, hopefully there's not THAT much grinding on the 'normal' level of the game

•••Spoiler:  that should come in the extra difficulty after the normal game is beaten with extra items and challenges

Last edited by S-Mario; 06-07-2013 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Mario View Post
I am severely disappointed, I thought this would be "IAP if you feel like being generous"

Intended to be, yes - it will be if not the case.

But it's more "You're getting killed over and over..."

It may be too difficult, but what stage are you talking about? 1,2,3...?

"...revive tokens are gone, BUY SOME COINS!"

Revive tokens are optional, we don't want people to get blocked so early on to have to use em.

Not to mention, no shop just some gamble machine

Ok I can see the point on this one, although the machine isn't as bad as you make out

and some COMPLETELY unexplained skill(?) set, which does nothing as far as I know.

We decided to try and only explain the basics for the game and let the player learn
the rest if they are interested. I'm already doing a wikia to explain some of the
more detailed stuff.

Enemies deal regular damage, to your low health, and weapons are shared? So no
difference between a lead sword, and an axe?

Dual wielded weapons have faster attacks, double hit combos and are generally better
to combo with - they are different than single-handed weapons. I'm getting guilty
about not explaining all this in game :P

I was hoping for a CC clone, instead, I got a freemium, badly animated, repetitive app
with no want for me to keep playing due to it's impossibility of getting better weapons
without dishing out cash.

We can only try our best, we dont intend to make anyone 'dish out cash' sorry to
dissapoint.

Controls are as expected, smooth, but the fact that enemies take away, say 75%
(usually) of your health before the boss, that leaves you 25% to kill bosses that
only get tougher.

That's an issue if it turns out to be the case for the majority (for early levels anyway
I wouldnt expect to walk into inferno mode in diablo and walk through it)
Talking about stage 3 and on.
I see about the duel wielding.
I never tried to say "Gambling machine is bad and should have been removed" just "A shop would be better", regardless of whether you pull a PlanetSide 2 and make every weapon look the same with different stats, a shop would be nice.
Animation, to me, felt like a 1-2-3 animation and repeat, I guess my disappointment made my statements harsh and uncalled for, I hope you forgive me for taking a pointlessly angry approach to this
And the health, still a problem, but once I realized that barrels had food, it became much easier to sail through.
And again, about the dishing out cash, I was just unhappy because my childish needs were not met.
I am truly sorry for
A:Making too harsh of untrue statements based off of opinions
B:Judging a game with no updates, and for all I know, can become amazing in one update
C:Expecting too much because I have been waiting for a CC/CC clone since I got my iOS device
Deepest apologies, I could have been much nicer about these subjects but I was not, most likedly because I have a fever, and it's been greatly affecting my mood.