★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone 2G Peer To Peer

06-27-2009, 08:23 AM
iPhone 2G Peer To Peer

Yesterday I was going to start implementing bluetooth peer-to-peer in my game. To my surprise, I found out bluetooth peer-to-peer doesn't work on the iPhone 2g.

Now this is my rant... Clearly the iPhone 2g has what it takes to support such a feature. Now not only as an indie dev will I have to buy a new iPhone. What is even more appalling is the fact that by doing this, they are dividing the app store market needlessly.
06-27-2009, 09:08 AM
From what I recall, they did announce this in WWDC that 2G will not support the function. So I guess that is the case now.

Nexx Studio - Indie Game Publisher - Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Dulp - Zig Zag Boom - Sidechain - Warship Solitaire - Bloom Box - Pig Shot - Glow Puzzle - The Idiot Test 3 - and more awesome games!

06-27-2009, 09:45 AM
yeah it probably was.
Must've missed it. It just seemed like a no brainer to include p2p bluetooth on the 2g.
06-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeout View Post
yeah it probably was.
Must've missed it. It just seemed like a no brainer to include p2p bluetooth on the 2g.
I only saw it and it says that only the 1G iPod Touch can't support it. 0.o and also heard that from engadget too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer
06-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Quote:
I only saw it and it says that only the 1G iPod Touch can't support it. 0.o and also heard that from engadget too.
I saw that too, im so annoyed at apple. Gimme video, voice control and peer to peer bluetooth!!!!!!!
06-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Hmmps from this article, it didn't say if any device is excluded from the function..
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3621

No idea..

Nexx Studio - Indie Game Publisher - Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Dulp - Zig Zag Boom - Sidechain - Warship Solitaire - Bloom Box - Pig Shot - Glow Puzzle - The Idiot Test 3 - and more awesome games!
06-28-2009, 05:41 PM
My understanding is that the Bluetooth chip in the first generation hardware lacks the needed features to support peer-to-peer. There are other Bluetooth features missing from gen 1 as well (such as A2DP).