12-19-2012, 01:28 PM
#21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nschneider350 View Post
Do you have to tilt to move left and right or can you swipe like in Agent Dash?

Edit: Sorry just watched Sanuku's vid and that answered it .
You have lots of controls options but no tilting since that would be a big disadvantage, that would be not precise enough and too much delayed. It also not like Agent Dash, there are no lanes to select, you can strafe freely!
Exact-Psience eplained the default controls really well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
First off, this game has a mix of goods and bads.

Graphics are definitely top notch. The art style is a bit cartoony, but it does work well with what the game wants to achieve. Tons of graphic options are available as well, but unfortunately, the realtime dynamic shadows on my ipad3 makes the game stutter a bit. I had to turn it off to get that buttery smooth gameplay.

Sounds are ok. Nothing so far has been an instant memory filler, and nothing sounds irritating.

Controls. Very good how it has multiple options, but only the default works for me.

Imagine having an invisible dynamic vstick that you use to move Left and Right. Tapping and Holding your finger down doesnt do anything, you have to slide your finger to a direction to move. Swiping up makes you jump, and can be combined with moving left or right for some diagonal jumps, and swiping down makes you prep your lance to attack constantly, until you cancel it with a jump or a directional move.

The other control options just felt a bit awkward, except for the buttons option which has a left and right button on the left side of the screen, and a jump and attack on the right.

Now as for the actual gameplay, i had a bit of frustration on some of the hitboxes. The lance tip is admittedly small, and if it misses, you will hit the obstacle and it's game over. The first level after the tutorial took me over 5 revives just to get right coz i wanted to hit all obstacles and i get to hit the obstacles more than I should. If not the hitboxes, it might be that the controls arent that good as i see it.

Right now I have to say that this is a good game, but comparing it with the top behind the back runners wont look too good for The Last Knight.

Im sure there will be updates and tweaks, and im looking forward to how the game pans out. Definitely has the potential to be one of the best runners, but some things need to be ironed out first.

EDIT: by the way the UI, is fantastic.
thx for your impressions! Im gonna set the shadows default off for iPad3 in the next version. Btw you can also cancel the lance by just touching the screen. With "The lance tip is admittedly small, and if it misses, you will hit the obstacle and it's game over." are you talking about the wood targets? I have to agree that they need tweaking, it can also be frustrating when you hit one but then bump into pillar that holds it. Trying to get all those many wood targets in that level is also really hard.

If you want to go for the gold award you only have to make no use of the checkpoints. So for that its better to ignore some of the targets. If you want to get lots of gold early on you might want to consider playing the endless mode first. You get les gold in the story mode for the different things, thats in there to prevent grinding with story levels.

Toco Games - iPhone Game Developer
Twitter: tocogamescom, Website: tocogames.com
Games: Last Knight - MagniFusion: Push, Combine, Squash and Pop
Upcoming Games: - Space Shapes
12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
#22
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: The red Skittle
Posts: 4,998
I like it overall too, similar feelings to EP about the graphics/presentation/etc, but what really irks me is the fact that once you put down your lance you can't adjust your movement without it resetting.

I haven't even got past the first level after the tutorial, since there's a target to hit, but it's on a turn so I'm finding it hard to set up. After (hilariously, btw) smacking into it a dozen times I just moved on to trying out one of the other releases from tonight. (really, if that was changed I'd enjoy the game a while lot more)



Need proofreading, editing or writing done for your game?
Contact me via PM or email and we can talk.

Last edited by Echoseven; 12-19-2012 at 01:34 PM.

12-19-2012, 01:43 PM
#23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
I like it overall too, similar feelings to EP about the graphics/presentation/etc, but what really irks me is the fact that once you put down your lance you can't adjust your movement without it resetting.

I haven't even got past the first level after the tutorial, since there's a target to hit, but it's on a turn so I'm finding it hard to set up. After (hilariously, btw) smacking into it a dozen times I just moved on to trying out one of the other releases from tonight. (really, if that was changed I'd enjoy the game a while lot more)
When you can strafe while having the lance down it would be much too easy. It really is a easy to start game but also realy hard to master. Also hard to master for endless runner veterans since it has different controls and mechanics. I think you also have to get a feel of how the curves go with playing a lot.
So just ignore that target for now, you don't have to master it already But you could also try the button controls since there it should be easier to quickly realign your lance. I think I will adjust that level, have not thought of people trying to get all the targets from the get go.

Toco Games - iPhone Game Developer
Twitter: tocogamescom, Website: tocogames.com
Games: Last Knight - MagniFusion: Push, Combine, Squash and Pop
Upcoming Games: - Space Shapes
12-19-2012, 01:59 PM
#24
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: The red Skittle
Posts: 4,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toco Games View Post
When you can strafe while having the lance down it would be much too easy. It really is a easy to start game but also realy hard to master. Also hard to master for endless runner veterans since it has different controls and mechanics. I think you also have to get a feel of how the curves go with playing a lot.
So just ignore that target for now, you don't have to master it already But you could also try the button controls since there it should be easier to quickly realign your lance. I think I will adjust that level, have not thought of people trying to get all the targets from the get go.
I'm the kind that has to get 3 stars/perfect/etc on a level before I can move on to the next.

It's not so much the game's fault as it is my own, so most people wouldn't even notice. By all accounts, I've enjoyed the game, but with me leaving only about 15 minutes per game last (K)night that was the point where I stopped, that's all.



Need proofreading, editing or writing done for your game?
Contact me via PM or email and we can talk.
12-19-2012, 02:02 PM
#25
I watched sanukus video and there is no game center?! Makes the decision easy for me. As soon as gc is integrated I'll buy it.

Edit: "iPhone 4 is not recommended" damn it..

Game Center: sink_or_swim
12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
#26
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Forge World
Posts: 6,310
Argh still 3 and a half hours to go
12-19-2012, 03:37 PM
#27
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 18,241
Urgh. I didnt play my other downloads because i want to like this a lot, but having to fail because of a target post or meneuvering in between small passages is just unnecessarily difficult and is pulling out all the fun from this game.

Some suggestions i can think of...

Controls. Slide left and right relatively rather than a dynamic vstick. I want a way to stop moving left and right by keeping your finger held down on one spot, and move again when i slide my finger without lifting it up. Kinda like capt. Antarctica or super mole escape. Then, add an attack button that attacks when the button is held down, and stops attacking on release. Or maybe constantly attack when pressed untill a new command is inputted.

I believe that when you cant control your character well in reasons other than "the enemies or obstacles are well placed" then there is something wrong with the controls.

Time to test out other downloads.
12-19-2012, 04:34 PM
#28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidgoku123 View Post
why no support for ipod 4g,this is a strictly linear game which doesn't render much onscreen.no reason why ipod 4g not be supported,especially when it runs mc4 so smoothly.
I could answer this just by saying its a Unreal engine game! But there are also other technical challenges like that the whole huge world is in a single map, everything can appear all the time randomly! There are also normal maps lighting baked in lightmaps which add a lots to the needed textures, which eats a lot of ram. Furthermore there are advanced shaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Urgh. I didnt play my other downloads because i want to like this a lot, but having to fail because of a target post or meneuvering in between small passages is just unnecessarily difficult and is pulling out all the fun from this game.

Some suggestions i can think of...

Controls. Slide left and right relatively rather than a dynamic vstick. I want a way to stop moving left and right by keeping your finger held down on one spot, and move again when i slide my finger without lifting it up. Kinda like capt. Antarctica or super mole escape. Then, add an attack button that attacks when the button is held down, and stops attacking on release. Or maybe constantly attack when pressed untill a new command is inputted.

I believe that when you cant control your character well in reasons other than "the enemies or obstacles are well placed" then there is something wrong with the controls.

Time to test out other downloads.
releasing to stop strafing is always faster then dragging to a deadzone. But you could do that too with the normal D-Swipe controls. You can even adjust the deadzone with the sensitivity settings to your liking. Having to drag all the time will not work because you will reach the end of the screen at one point.
It really sounds you need to have instant controls that only buttons can give!

I don't understand your last sentence, you have always full control, you just can't strafe and charge at the same time!

Toco Games - iPhone Game Developer
Twitter: tocogamescom, Website: tocogames.com
Games: Last Knight - MagniFusion: Push, Combine, Squash and Pop
Upcoming Games: - Space Shapes
12-19-2012, 05:21 PM
#29
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 8,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Urgh. I didnt play my other downloads because i want to like this a lot, but having to fail because of a target post or meneuvering in between small passages is just unnecessarily difficult and is pulling out all the fun from this game.
With this year's behind-the-back runner overload and my trust in your impressions, I might sit back on this one for now until maybe some updates can be made. Sounds like it can be frustrating and there's just too many other good BTB runners that I'm not dying for another one at this point.

EDIT: Well, alrighty then, missed that the 3GS isn't supported so guess that makes that decision even easier.
12-19-2012, 05:26 PM
#30
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Forge World
Posts: 6,310
Only half an hour, I'm getting this for the realistic horse rag doll physics well worth my 69p
It's this and santa's slippery slopes (by hondune games) for me tonight.