Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
- Game difficulty has been adjusted for improved playability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruhi View Post
I guess SE feels the need to dumb down the game for "casual" iOS gamers.

*sigh*
Reduced difficulty could be a deal breaker for me. I wish they would allow an original difficulty option. That was the most disappointing thing about some of their other ports, the dwarfed difficulty. SE can tie this up in shiny new graphics but if there's limited playability then I don't see the point. I will definitely wait for impressions on enemy/combat balance from reliable fans before diving in.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Enix
- Game difficulty has been adjusted for improved playability.
Well, doesn't that give you pause? Cuz that's what turn-based combat without movement, circumstantial modifiers and other tactical complications need: less challenge!

Unjustified bitterness aside (and who knows, perhaps the difficulty has been increased instead. One man's playability is another man's inability), together with FF V or VI, the original FF IV was the last pure FF game I ever enjoyed. And the iOS version seems supremely well adapted to the mobile paradigmwatchamcallit. Square have really been up to quite a lot of silly tricks on this platform, but FFT (which contained no small number of interface and port silliness itself) really has left me forever biased in favour of one of the developers I always shunned back in those desktop days of yore.

Now do the one with the mini-mechs, Square!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Instead of using the wide screen to show more environmental details like in most games, Square Enix decided to just stretch the characters to fit on the iPhone 5's screen. As much as I love FFIV, I think I might have to pass...

Comparison (iPad on top, iPhone 5 on bottom):

Last edited by Haruhi; 12-19-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM

Wasn't the game supposed to launch with a sale?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

When I played the DS, it had a map on 1 screen.
Does this one still have a map so you could see where you're walking ?

Also only $1 off is a sale ???
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Haha silly square, but then a sale is a sale no matter how small. Guess you can't expect a company that charges $150 worth of iap to be too generous.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pka4916 View Post
When I played the DS, it had a map on 1 screen.
Does this one still have a map so you could see where you're walking ?

Also only $1 off is a sale ???
I'm going to hold off buying the game right now on the off-chance that the price does drop suddenly within the next day or so as a belated (proper) intro sale, given that $1 off does seem a bit weird. Already getting the caramel popcorn ready for the inevitable tears and tantrums from the early adopters if that does happen, though.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

I don't think FFIII ever went on sale though did it?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM

This shows up as $15.99 on the PH appstore.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
Well, doesn't that give you pause? Cuz that's what turn-based combat without movement, circumstantial modifiers and other tactical complications need: less challenge!

Unjustified bitterness aside (and who knows, perhaps the difficulty has been increased instead. One man's playability is another man's inability), together with FF V or VI, the original FF IV was the last pure FF game I ever enjoyed. And the iOS version seems supremely well adapted to the mobile paradigmwatchamcallit. Square have really been up to quite a lot of silly tricks on this platform, but FFT (which contained no small number of interface and port silliness itself) really has left me forever biased in favour of one of the developers I always shunned back in those desktop days of yore.

Now do the one with the mini-mechs, Square!
It gives me pause, although in this case there may be some merit toward reducing the difficulty, depending on HOW they reduced the difficulty. For one thing, it's an ATB game, not turn-based, and even with wait mode on, you still lose time in part of the menu selecting. One problem I had with the DS version was that I could be very fast in my selection but still have to party get wiped out before it could actually do anything. The only way around that was just to grind more than I think was necessary in a game with so narrow a quest path. The original version from the 90s wasn't that harsh, and I'm talking about the Japanese version, not the easy-type released in the US. I doubt this will be easier than the original, simply because it's a port of a much harder version of the game to begin with.