Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

If you're a fan of first person shooters Shadow Warrior is essential and at a free download I wouldn't let nay-sayers turn you away. I'm also confused by the complaints about controls. I understand the iPad argument but on iPod//iPhone the controls are the same traditional design shared by many popular iOS first person shooters (ID Software uses a similar mechanism in their Doom port, Gameloft for NOVA(s), etc)

One thing I appreciate about this game is the ability to customize controls. Shadow Warrior has a sensitivity adjustment control, ability to reposition buttons, etc. Traditional drag screen to look or dual sticks, Left handed mode option... even some stuff that seems too detailed like "invert y axis" and "vertical aim." The only thing missing is the ability to resize controls (which would help iPad people).

Last edited by undeadcow; 12-21-2012 at 02:22 PM..
Old 12-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
If you're a fan of first person shooters Shadow Warrior is essential and at a free download I wouldn't let nay-sayers turn you away. I'm also confused by the complaints about controls. I understand the iPad argument but on iPod//iPhone the controls are the same traditional design shared by many popular iOS first person shooters (ID Software uses a similar mechanism in their Doom port, Gameloft for NOVA(s), etc)

One thing I appreciate about this game is the ability to customize controls. Shadow Warrior has a sensitivity adjustment control, ability to reposition buttons, etc. If you don't like the fire button there's a tap the screen to shoot option. Traditional drag screen to look or dual sticks, Left handed mode option... even some stuff that seems too detailed like "invert y axis" and "vertical aim." The only thing missing is the ability to resize controls (which would help iPad people).
I can't find any tap to shoot option. There's a screen tap configuration, but that doesn't let me tap to shoot, it only gives me a floating joystick. If I could get tap to shoot to work, bigger controls, and a crouch toggle, that would fix any issues I have with the controls.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnbuddy View Post
I can't find any tap to shoot option. There's a screen tap configuration, but that doesn't let me tap to shoot, it only gives me a floating joystick. If I could get tap to shoot to work, bigger controls, and a crouch toggle, that would fix any issues I have with the controls.
You are right, not finding the idea of "tap the screen" to shoot I didn't try that setting but it does turn out to to be a floating joystick option. Potentially you could re-position the shoot button to the middle of the screen but there aren't any options to control button transparancy.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:22 PM

In the easier to play touchscreen FPS games they keep the buttons relatively far apart and give you a lot of leeway about what actually counts as a press. In this one, though, maybe because they have so many keys and the default is clustered close together, you have to be very precise. The jump button is a problem, too, it made some of the jumping sequences near the end ridiculous.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennadiy Potapov View Post
You can move button as you like: "Controls" -> "Customize" -> Drag buttons to new place
You can? Great... but now I'm wondering how I missed that option!

That aside, the defaults really are like shooting ones self in the foot. Lots of people will pass on the game because of them.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Just have to say I'm enjoying this way more than I expected - only ever tried a shareware 1st level on an old Mac and quite liked it but never got round to getting.

The controls take some getting used to but, believe me, it's worth persevering with. (I think I did space them out a bit more in the options bit)

One thing to remember is that you can change aim whils holding down on fire for the Uzi etc which really makes the game playable as you can fine tune your aim.

This is probably my all time fave game right now - lots of crass humour and gross-out scenes but it's married to some classy gameplay with lateral thinking required to progress. Levels are huge - so 4 for free is v generous.

Works great on iPad 1 too (in fact maybe a bit too quick!)
Old 12-25-2012, 10:43 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Send a message via ICQ to Gennadiy Potapov Send a message via Skype™ to Gennadiy Potapov

Quote:
Originally Posted by menom View Post
Just have to say I'm enjoying this way more than I expected - only ever tried a shareware 1st level on an old Mac and quite liked it but never got round to getting.

The controls take some getting used to but, believe me, it's worth persevering with. (I think I did space them out a bit more in the options bit)

One thing to remember is that you can change aim whils holding down on fire for the Uzi etc which really makes the game playable as you can fine tune your aim.

This is probably my all time fave game right now - lots of crass humour and gross-out scenes but it's married to some classy gameplay with lateral thinking required to progress. Levels are huge - so 4 for free is v generous.

Works great on iPad 1 too (in fact maybe a bit too quick!)
Nice to hear that you like it. It will be good for us if you will put submit your review to the App Store. Thanks.

Right now we are working on update, which will bring more options for controls, bug fixes and new content.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennadiy Potapov View Post
Nice to hear that you like it. It will be good for us if you will put submit your review to the App Store. Thanks.

Right now we are working on update, which will bring more options for controls, bug fixes and new content.
Yeah - I have put a very positive review on the UK app store & 5* (had originally said the controls made it a bit tricky)

I think people need to see corrections of those saying controls suck - they take some getting used to but that's the way anything is that works well. Very quick to get used to would end up too easy.

Congrats again on great work - I'll try and spread the word
Old 12-28-2012, 04:31 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Send a message via Skype™ to dariusjr98

Can someone tell me how to get the silver key???
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM
iPad, OS 3.x

Send a message via ICQ to Gennadiy Potapov Send a message via Skype™ to Gennadiy Potapov

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariusjr98 View Post
Can someone tell me how to get the silver key???
Level №?