Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-19-2012, 07:34 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

The irony here is that everything about the trailer is great (especially BTiLC's Gerald Okamura), except for the actual gameplay footage, which is underwhelming at best (and is, unfortunately, an accurate reflection of the game itself).

I'm hoping that the touch-based interface on iOS devices goes some way towards making up for a core combat system that is even shallower and less immersive than that of the Infinity Blade games.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

These reviews has me less than excited, unfortunately. But perhaps this is much like God of Blades, a game that you buy less for the actual combat mechanics, but for the overall vibe and atmosphere instead. Didn't quite work for me with God of Blades, that line of thinking, so perhaps it will not here either

Last edited by Ayjona; 12-19-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
These reviews has me less than excited, unfortunately. But perhaps this is much like God of Blades, a game that you buy less for the actual combat mechanics, but for the overall vibe and atmosphere instead. Didn't quite work for me with God of Blades, that line of thinking, so perhaps it will not here either
Except the combat mechanics in God of Blades are much more engaging, and are actually pretty fun in and of themselves. I apreciate what they tried to do with the Karateka remake, and there is some fun to be had, but i can't help but think that this game could have been much better if they had stayed at least a little closer to the original.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
Ok, 30 mins of unique playtime sucks. Now I'm having second thoughts...I thought the way TA was promoting this meant it'd be a great game...
I'm with you on this. Considering the filesize as well I'll just wishlist it for now. Good thing there are some other solid releases tonight.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:46 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I played the demo of this on xbla and IMO its just one big QTE sequence.
I wasn't tempted on xbla and I'm not tempted on iOS.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
I played the demo of this on xbla and IMO its just one big QTE sequence.
I wasn't tempted on xbla and I'm not tempted on iOS.
Well, I would have felt gipped if I paid full price for the console version, but for a $3 iPhone app, you could do alot worse.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:52 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
But perhaps this is much like God of Blades, a game that you buy less for the actual combat mechanics, but for the overall vibe and atmosphere instead. Didn't quite work for me with God of Blades, that line of thinking, so perhaps it will not here either
While I appreciate what the developers were trying to do with God of Blades in terms of presentation, the fact that "swipe right" got me through as much of the game as I could stomach rapidly quenched my desire to return to it. Never really got why people were so enthusiastic about the infinitely tedious and plodding Infinite Warrior, either. :P
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
While I appreciate what the developers were trying to do with God of Blades in terms of presentation, the fact that "swipe right" got me through as much of the game as I could stomach rapidly quenched my desire to return to it. Never really got why people were so enthusiastic about the infinitely tedious and plodding Infinite Warrior, either. :P
GOS was boring like hell with a very silly and useless art to my eyes, I guess I beter find an ancient karateka original and an emulator. I hate when they come out with old franchise just to ruin them.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:08 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPE View Post
GOS was boring like hell with a very silly and useless art to my eyes, I guess I beter find an ancient karateka original and an emulator. I hate when they come out with old franchise just to ruin them.
Especially when the original game designer is so intimately involved with the project, as Mechner was with this game.

I would love to see Karateka get the "Prince of Persia Classic" or "Retro" treatment.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
Heh. I debated with the 2 sensible percent of my cognition whether or not to mention that I seemed to be able to overcome any opponent just by performing the right swipe double attack endlessly, but figured people would yell at me and say that I was doing it wrong

So, yeah, all of what you say, in particular in regards to Finite Warrior. And I too appreciated what the God of Blades devs did with the art style and archetypical narrative. (Elric nods appreciatively, though he wants to point out that he is not really nameless, but understands that White Whale Games wanted to dodge the lawsuit.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin View Post
Except the combat mechanics in God of Blades are much more engaging, and are actually pretty fun in and of themselves. I apreciate what they tried to do with the Karateka remake, and there is some fun to be had, but i can't help but think that this game could have been much better if they had stayed at least a little closer to the original.
Except I didn't find them engaging or fun at all. Hence the comparison.

But yeah, agreed on the Karateka sentiment.