★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: RES Update

06-28-2009, 12:00 AM
RES Update

http://appshopper.com/link/res

Well since I can't seem to find my old thread about this nifty game, I thought I'd make a new one since it was put back in the store and a new update was released. The game is now called RES Tank Mobile Combat and is still $0.99.
The new update with 'updated graphics' adds another layer of polish to the game, and features spiffy grayscale shading and rendering. (I'd post some screenshots but honestly still images don't do the game any justice)

My Quick Review:
It's not often you can find a nice retro inspired shooter that controls well, is easy to pick up and play, and costs only a dollar. However RES has exceeded my prior expectations to downloading it. It's basically a retro tank FPS, something similar to Vector Tanks. Looking at the screenshots many may think it looks horrible, hard to control, and overly simple. However this is a key example of not judging an app by it's screenshots. I was really surprised at how well the controls work, especially since I am not a big fan of accelerometer controls. The game calibrates as soon as you press 'Start' and from there you tilt forward, back, and to both sides to steer. Since this is a tank battle game there is no strafing or moving directly right/left.

You must move quickly throughout the level, dodging bullets and shooting enemies. A unique feature of the block-like structures is that enemies and bullets can't move through them. This can provide some quick shelter while you're running from the masses. In order to defeat them you simply tap anywhere on the screen to fire. Repeatedly tapping will result in a machine gun type spray. While this does sound pretty easy, believe me it gets harder. You start the game out with 12 lives, when you get hit you lose a life. Each level you can gain another life by surviving for 30 seconds. However, there are easily ten or more enemies per level, which are bent on destroying you. The randomly generated "cities" add to the replay value, but the main factor is trying to beat your high score. The game saves your all time highest score, and compares it with your newest score once you are defeated. Overall the game is challenging, addictive, and plays great. For just a dollar and the incentive of updates, this game is great fun for your buck.

Last edited by Seishu; 06-28-2009 at 12:08 AM.
06-28-2009, 11:06 AM
feedback

Thanks for starting this thread. Your initial review prompted several design improvements and as the dev for RES I really appreciate constructive feedback. If anyone else has constructive criticism I will factor it into future updates. Thanks again for taking the time to review RES Tank Mobile Combat.

06-28-2009, 11:12 AM
You mean my thread?
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ght=res-+retro

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
06-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I only have one concern for now, and it's that I can't play this game on my iPod Touch 1G because it's not supported.

Games, games, games..
GameCenter ID: GkCHN
Add me! :]
06-28-2009, 12:27 PM
oversight

That was an oversight on my part. I have changed the settings in iTunes to allow First and Second Generation IPhone and IPod Touch owners to install RES. Since you made me aware of this issue I would like to email you a promo code. If you email me, res@sky.io , I will reply with a promo code. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.
06-28-2009, 12:28 PM
can i have a promo code?

Add me on Steam for TF2: eggzbacon
06-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Haha, thanks for the offer RES, but I already have the game so it's alright. I just wanted to play it.
You can email the code to someone else if you like.

Games, games, games..
06-28-2009, 12:42 PM
promocodes / thank you

I should have thought to send eggzbacon a Promocode since he started the original thread. GaiaIllusion - I will send you a free promocode when I release my next game; it's going to be a few months though.
06-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Actually, I'll forward the code I got to eggzbacon. Thanks again, RES.

Games, games, games..
06-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RES View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. Your initial review prompted several design improvements and as the dev for RES I really appreciate constructive feedback. If anyone else has constructive criticism I will factor it into future updates. Thanks again for taking the time to review RES Tank Mobile Combat.
I really like the look of the game aesthetically; very stark and minimalist. Great choice of typeface too. Unfortunately, for me, it doesn't offer much in the way of compelling gameplay right now, to be perfectly honest. That's not to say it isn't a good start, but right now, it lacks depth.
  • The degenerative strategy is just to back up for as long as possible, since you score points for simply being alive. At some point, you start firing while backing up. I scored over 2.5 million points this way. I'm sure much higher scores are possible, but it's an issue you may want to consider.

• While I like the low-rider tanks design, I think you might want to consider giving them a more recognizable profile. In the distance, they look very similar to your own tankfire, which makes target acquisition difficult. I will say that the extreme rapid-fire is a nice touch, though.

• Tanks should splinter into a pixel explosions when they are destroyed. Have a look at Noiz2sa, for instance.

• The enemy tank indicators on the radar look too similar to your own.

• Adding a couple other tank types with diverse AI, would make this much more interesting; one that is more likely to hide behind cover, one that is bigger and slower, but has bigger shots, one that darts back and forth quickly, but its shots are weak. Each new tank should have a recognizable profile, as I mentioned above.

• You could even add aircraft, that are tap-to-shoot or drag-to-select for homing missiles.
Anyway, just a bunch of initial thoughts. Good luck with your game!

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 06-28-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Removed p.s. - sounded snarky and it wasn't meant to be