★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

So why haven't Harbour Master Devs been sued by Firemint

06-28-2009, 08:52 AM
So why haven't Harbour Master Devs been sued by Firemint

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am thinking of making a game similar to Harbour master, won't I get sued?
06-28-2009, 08:53 AM
no. Thats like saying there can only be one FPS on a console and one rpg and one rts. You can make same genre games.

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06

06-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Flight Control isn't the first game of this genre.

Also wrong section this should be in General Game Discussion and Questions.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
06-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palfince View Post
Flight Control isn't the first game of this genre.

Also wrong section this should be in General Game Discussion and Questions.
Ahhh thanks dudes, pretty new to all of this stuff! sorry about the wrong section!
06-28-2009, 09:02 AM
That's like asking, "Why hasn't Nintendo sued everyone else that made a platform game?" Harbour Master is a different game than Flight Control. It's similar, but there are differences in the play mechanic (as well as the setting, graphics, sound, etc). In addition, it's not like Harbour Master is based on a reverse-engineered version of the Flight Control software. Now, if that were the case, then Firemint could go after the Harbour Master devs.

--DotComCTO
06-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by facepickle View Post
Ahhh thanks dudes, pretty new to all of this stuff! sorry about the wrong section!
It doesn't matter, although a lot more people are going to flame you...

A lot of people will just think that Harbor Master is a copy of Flight Control and that will make it have lower sales than it should. In my opinion Harbor Master is a lot better than Flight Control.

Games Uncovered / Twitter / YouTube
We are looking for reviewers to write at Games Uncovered. PM me if you are interested!
06-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Quote:
It doesn't matter, although a lot more people are going to flame you...

A lot of people will just think that Harbor Master is a copy of Flight Control and that will make it have lower sales than it should. In my opinion Harbor Master is a lot better than Flight Control.
Yeah I love Harbour Master, in fact it's the inspiration for be becoming a dev (got alot to learn first!)
06-28-2009, 09:13 AM
Funny Fact: The Harbour Master developer forced another developer to remove a "copy" of one of their word games some months ago.
06-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Quote:

No offense to the people who made harbor master, but it is very similar to flight control (I have both) and it came out whilst flight control was up high in the 25. Because of this they don't deserve as many sales, mostly due to timing. Now I'm not saying HM or FC are brand new concepts but it appears HM was trying to ride on FC's success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The prez 12521 View Post
No. But there's a good chance she'll put her hand down there. Like we were holding hands in the movie, she moved our hands on my lap and I was just thinking...oh god please not now please stay soft
Reminding for when I get new iPod: Epic Win
06-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnadenlos View Post
Funny Fact: The Harbour Master developer forced another developer to remove a "copy" of one of their word games some months ago.
Yeah see this is what worries me, if I made a Harbour Master style game they'd sue me right?