★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Miku Flick + 02 ($13.99/$11.99 → $7.99)

12-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Miku Flick + 02 ($13.99/$11.99 → $7.99)

I don't know if anyone here cares about Hatsune Miku, but the two Miku Flick games are on sale for $7.99 each.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
12-20-2012, 10:48 PM
These games are more complex than your typical rhythm game, as you actually input lyrics in time with the music, using a flick-style keyboard (from which comes the name). For the harder difficulties, it greatly helps if you actually understand Japanese and have memorized the lyrics, so you know what inputs you need to make next, rather than having to react quickly as the words scroll across the screen.

Miku Flick has a total of 13 unlockable songs, which are the most well-known and popular ones like "World is Mine" and "Melt". That's it. Miku Flick/02 starts with 10 songs, then offers a bunch of 3-song packs for $4.99 per pack (there have been seven of these packs so far, so this game can get expensive really quickly).

I really don't like how Sega handled these games, though. Gameplay-wise, they are virtually identical. Flick/02 has extra hard difficulty levels and features Vocaloids other than Miku, but that's about it. There was no reason (besides a desire to double-dip) that they couldn't have just updated the first game, then sold the songs in the second game as IAP. The songs in the first game are not in the sequel, so if you're a fan, you'll need both apps installed at the same time, taking up more space.

12-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Someone has purchased both? I only have credit for only one, I think the 02 has more characters (by the screenshots look like the 02 have songs of different Vocaloids) but the 01 has a better selection of songs.

Opinions?

P!
12-29-2012, 01:30 AM
I'd go with Flick 02 based on having the harder difficulty levels alone. The original Project Diva on PSP was far too easy even on hard mode. When PD2 came out and added Extreme mode, it was a lot more challenging and enjoyable.

That said, both of the Flick games are awful compared to Project Diva. Unless you desperately need a Vocaloid fix on your phone, I'd skip both. Cytus is a much better iOS rhythm game.
12-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzo View Post
Someone has purchased both? I only have credit for only one, I think the 02 has more characters (by the screenshots look like the 02 have songs of different Vocaloids) but the 01 has a better selection of songs.

Opinions?
The original Flick has more songs in the game, but Hatsune Miku is the only Vocaloid used. The resolution used for the videos is lower, as well.

Flick/02 has more Vocaloids, a different sound for when you hit a "Safe" note (either off-beat or in the wrong direction) - in the original you can't always tell when you break combo because the noise is the same - and five difficulty levels per song. It also seems to have a slightly more forgiving timing window.

Break The Limit, where you have to hit EVERY syllable, is more of a different mode than a different difficulty, since you can't break combo and Sad/Miss notes aren't displayed. This mode kinda ruins the high score tables, though, because your highest score for each song will ALWAYS be from Combo bonuses earned in Break The Limit.

While it would have been convenient to have all the songs from Flick and Flick/02 in the same game, it wouldn't have appreciably reduced the amount of space used - over 90% of each game's space is from the songs and videos.

In terms of song familiarity and overall song content, the original game is better. But in terms of overall polish and levels of difficulty, /02 is superior.
03-08-2013, 08:35 AM
On sale, $5.99

P!
03-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Wondering who Hatsune Miku is? Let this guy from Domino's Pizza tell you:

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
on sale again, $6.99

P!
08-29-2015, 09:03 PM
New sale Flick/02 for $3.99

P!
08-29-2015, 11:04 PM
What the hell. That's what Hatsune Miku is?