★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Wouldn't it be cool if apps had their own ads?

06-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if apps had their own ads?

Wouldn't it be cool if apps had their own ads? Like say your watching the news or ESPN and say an ad for Hero of Sparta comes up! Wouldn't that be awesome? I've already seen and ad for the Sims 3 for iPod Touch and iPhone on the TV. I think that would be great and developers would rake in alot more money. Devs what do you think if your app was on TV and had an ad? Discuss.

Quote:
and lastly we have the abu sayaf and MILF, two terrorist factions in the Philippines, and ivé yet to see any fruits of labor from the government concerning these terrorist threats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBG View Post
There's a MILF terrorist faction? Awesome! Sign me up.
06-28-2009, 02:56 PM
"In this age of revolutionary technology, the power of computers must be harnessed, that is why us, the devs of tomorrow, would like to introduce to you our breakthrough in modern science... iFART!!!" *cue mushroom cloud*

TV ads are a BIG no-no. Too many devs, too little time (and prime time slots are expensive), and too many stupid apps.

06-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
"In this age of revolutionary technology, the power of computers must be harnessed, that is why us, the devs of tomorrow, would like to introduce to you our breakthrough in modern science... iFART!!!" *cue mushroom cloud*

TV ads are a BIG no-no. Too many devs, too little time (and prime time slots are expensive), and too many stupid apps.
True, but I'm talking about games! Not stupid entertainment apps!

Quote:
and lastly we have the abu sayaf and MILF, two terrorist factions in the Philippines, and ivé yet to see any fruits of labor from the government concerning these terrorist threats.
Quote:
06-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Besides, at the current rate iPhone and Touch users expect devs to sell their apps at, there's no way they'd be able to make enough money to afford TV ad space. Prime time ad space on a couple of major networks can run into the millions or tens of millions for even a short campaign. EA can afford to blow that kind of dough on a Sims 3 ad. Most others can't.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
06-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
True, but I'm talking about games! Not stupid entertainment apps!
Yaa.. No

"Money makes the world go round, so I got to.. buckle down, do anything for the dollar."
06-28-2009, 03:12 PM
Too costly id say for an iphone dev.

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
06-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Besides, at the current rate iPhone and Touch users expect devs to sell their apps at, there's no way they'd be able to make enough money to afford TV ad space. Prime time ad space on a couple of major networks can run into the millions or tens of millions for even a short campaign. EA can afford to blow that kind of dough on a Sims 3 ad. Most others can't.
Yeah maybe during the Superbowl.... but an ad on a regular wednesday night on a kids channel could be worth it.
06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
The system Apple has right now for showcasing cool apps with the 'There's an App for that' campaign is as far as I see this going. It might be cool if there were more commercials with more apps being showcased in this space but I think as it stands the indie developers (myself included) cannot afford the pricetag of an official TV ad for our game or utility application.

I think that there should be some more work done with iTunes to bring to the surface some of the cooler apps that are out there. Maybe an App Review blog roll or internet television show so that cool apps can get more visibility and face time . . . all of this inside the iTunes application would be useful IMO.

Brandon
bware218
check out my app TicTacToeTen here
official TicTacToeTen website is here
06-28-2009, 05:47 PM
LogMein Ignition has an ad that I see CONSTANTLY on Hulu

Not quite tv but pretty darn close
06-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, speaking of which, E-Trade Mobile has an ad and NationWide does too. That's all I can think of so far.

Quote:
Quote: