★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: From the creators of the highly acclaimed "Juniper's Knot" comes "Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos".

Dysfunctional Systems is a visual novel series featuring Winter Harrison, a student mediator from a utopian world. What is a mediator? A mediator is a person who travels between chaotic worlds, attempting to resolve the issues plaguing them. The first entry in the series follows her second mediation, where she shadows the experienced and aloof mediator: Cyrus Addington.

A visual novel is a story told through a combination of art, music, and writing where the player can make choices which change the course of the plot.

"Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos" features two distinct endings, unlockable bonus art, an animated opening video, and a jukebox of in-game music.

TouchArcade Bot's comments:

08-10-2013, 11:03 AM
I love such visual novels but did somebody tried it? I would like some impressions!

08-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity89 View Post
I love such visual novels but did somebody tried it? I would like some impressions!
So far it's intriguing but slow. But I'm not very far in, yet. The overall experience is very polished.
08-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
So far it's intriguing but slow. But I'm not very far in, yet. The overall experience is very polished.
Please give more impression since I think its great but don't want to waste my money as this will be my last.
08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity89 View Post
Please give more impression since I think its great but don't want to waste my money as this will be my last.
Let me read further and post more this evening
08-10-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm definitely interested with this, any chance for a video?
08-10-2013, 01:59 PM
It's a little on the short side (you can read through the different 'routes' to the end in a couple hours), but it's definitely a good ride along the way with decent production values.

Most visual novels that I've seen have choices with results limited to either "gain / lose romance points" or "continue story / find bad end." While there's only one major decision to make in this one, the 'right' choice is debatable and it plays out the remainder of the story with either choice, considerably altering how the remainder of the tale will play out. (It also teases the idea that the path you choose will carry over to the next chapter - not sure if it will actually detect this somehow or if you'll manually enter the choice in the next app.)

Trying not to spoil anything, but there's also the interesting possibility that using a certain "alternative" too soon might limit your options in a future chapter. Leaves me wondering which route might actually be the "best" one at the end of it all.

Wouldn't mind reading a future chapter with Waverly (a character introduced near the very end) as the protagonist, either.
08-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter77 View Post
I'm definitely interested with this, any chance for a video?
It's been available as a PC download for awhile now, the overall appearance should be about the same.

Here's a quick 3-minute "teaser" of the start that they had on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thl1oGoV3Cw

(Since it shows a few scenes from in the middle of the story, there might be a spoiler or two, so I'd view it more as a display of how the game looks without actually reading the text too closely.)
08-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laire View Post
It's been available as a PC download for awhile now, the overall appearance should be about the same.

Here's a quick 3-minute "teaser" of the start that they had on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thl1oGoV3Cw

(Since it shows a few scenes from in the middle of the story, there might be a spoiler or two, so I'd view it more as a display of how the game looks without actually reading the text too closely.)
Thank you very much!!