★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Asteroid BBQ

06-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Asteroid BBQ

itunes link - $1.99

Fire up the afterburners and soar into space to battle an onslaught of
asteroids spawned from menacing portals. Use your cunning skills to dodge and destroy asteroids and deadly mines that track your every movement. Protect mankind from a threat that could be more then just a cosmic eruption!

- Inspired by games such as Geometry Wars and Robotron 2084
- Incredibly smooth gameplay at 60 frames per second, built on a custom graphics engine.
- Choose from virtual analog or tilt control modes
- Spend more time playing and less time loading: game launches almost immediately and uses little memory

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Devilishly Good; 06-28-2009 at 06:44 PM.
06-28-2009, 06:42 PM
i'm tempted by that description, can never have enough asteroid shooters.

Currently Playing::Meteor Blitz, EW Jim, Boost 3D, COD: Zombies, Eliminate::

06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
sold by the video

06-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veratek View Post
sold by the video
come back and give us some impressions/feedback
06-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
come back and give us some impressions/feedback
Very replayable arcade asteroid shooter. It's as smooth as advertised and the enemies intensify fairly quickly, some asteroid games end up being..boring, not this one.

The thrust controls are a highlight for me, an auto-centering d-pad pops up anywhere you touch, and then touch with a second finger anywhere for thrust. That's the way I have it setup at least.

This gives you the ability to aim + shoot without moving ( very important..). So many games have terrible use of thrust acceleration, but i love this ones (similar to annihilation arena imo).

The portals where enemy mines and asteroids come from, those portals will start appearing directly under your ship if you stay in one place too long. Like I said the action gets really frantic, within 5 minutes the screen is chaotic.

There are healing power-ups, so it's not a one-hit death game, thankfully. At max your ships weapon becomes triple-shot.

If i could change one thing, I'd increase the size of the arena boundaries.

Also comes with 2 settings: easy + pro

So i'd say it blows away most every thrust controlled asteroid game currently available.

Last edited by Veratek; 06-28-2009 at 07:26 PM.
06-28-2009, 07:43 PM
Developer here - thanks for the nice review Veratek!

We appreciate all comments good or bad so that we can start putting together an update for BBQ. We have lots of ideas we would like to implement if people like the game. And please rate our game on the app store =)

BadDoxie Website

Last edited by BadDoxie; 06-28-2009 at 07:47 PM.
06-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veratek View Post
The thrust controls are a highlight for me, an auto-centering d-pad pops up anywhere you touch, and then touch with a second finger anywhere for thrust. That's the way I have it setup at least.

This gives you the ability to aim + shoot without moving ( very important..). So many games have terrible use of thrust acceleration, but i love this ones (similar to annihilation arena imo).
So, Veratek are you controlling the game like circuit strike one then with one stick for direction, touch to thrust, touch elsewhere to fire?

Is there a twin stick option for control as well?
06-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
So, Veratek are you controlling the game like circuit strike one then with one stick for direction, touch to thrust, touch elsewhere to fire?

Is there a twin stick option for control as well?
Right, it's the same as cs.one except this game uses auto-fire.

And for movement: "touch-thrust on" or "touch-thrust off"
Your second finger will either give you thrust, or give you stopping power ( with thrust off, the dpad will give you thrust automatically)

Sorry if that's confusing. No option for twin sticks.

That's cool the dev's around too

06-28-2009, 08:16 PM
ah, okay, autofire, that explains why the movment was so quick in the video, cool

thanks!
06-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Very fun game, been playing all day and it's pretty enjoyable. Highly recommend this one. Veratek was dead on with his review, probably the best asteroid shooter out there. The gameplay is real smooth and the control options are great. Good job on this one!