★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Wake up Mr. Moore! - Paid to Free for Christmas

12-22-2012, 09:13 AM
#1
Wake up Mr. Moore! - Paid to Free for Christmas

Wake up Mr. Moore! (iPhone/iPod Touch, and iPad versions) are free for Christmas

Check out our other games here: The Moonwalls

Enjoy!







Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year
Marcin Makaj,
The Moonwalls.
12-22-2012, 10:13 AM
#2
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: AL
Posts: 4,361
Thanks. The last giveaway ended up as an iPad game (my family only has iPhone & iPodTouch devices) but this one I can try out.

12-23-2012, 12:34 AM
#3
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: AL
Posts: 4,361
I tried playing this earlier. Production values are pretty high. I like the art style and theme of the game... but like the one review said on the AppStore, it's hard to line up the gears because your finger is in the way. It's also hard because the gear can be perfectly in place but if it's off by 1 pixel in any direction it just won't work sometimes.

I think y'all need to work on this one a little more. It is hard to get 3 stars in the levels not because of the challenge but because of the nearly broken controls.

It has potential... everything else is so nice... just get someone to fix the controls. It would be nice to have an option for a passive touch... where you could see the gear... but if it just allowed a little more fudge factor in aligning them then it would be much better even if your finger hides the gear. Sort of like how Geared (by Bryan Mitchell) is.
12-23-2012, 04:06 AM
#4
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
I tried playing this earlier. Production values are pretty high. I like the art style and theme of the game... but like the one review said on the AppStore, it's hard to line up the gears because your finger is in the way. It's also hard because the gear can be perfectly in place but if it's off by 1 pixel in any direction it just won't work sometimes.

I think y'all need to work on this one a little more. It is hard to get 3 stars in the levels not because of the challenge but because of the nearly broken controls.
Yep, this one can easily become frustrating, depending on what you're doing. The thing about positioning the gears is that the game takes into account the gears that have already been placed, and will only let you put down a gear if you physically approach and drag it in from an angle that wouldn't cause the gear you're placing to cover one that has already been placed. If you do this, you'll find the gears don't turn red, and you'll consistently be able to put them in position without trouble.

The problem is that if you just try to do the most obvious and intuitive thing - simply put a gear down right on top of the peg on which it should go - the game won't let you, and this has the potential to become very irritating very quickly. It's not actually an issue of pixel-perfect positioning, but that's how it appears because of the little "flashes" that make it look like you just missed the correct spot, when often you really couldn't have placed it at all. This aspect of the gameplay isn't explained very well in the tutorial.

I'd prefer just to be able to use the standard "put the gear straight on the peg" method myself, rather than have to do the fiddly dance that seems unique to this particular game, but I'll see if I get used to this one. Once I realised the trick involved, though, it wasn't hard to consistently place gears and get three-star ratings - there's definitely more room for error on the iPad, though, and it'd probably be harder on smaller-screened devices.

Last edited by Appletini; 12-23-2012 at 09:15 AM.
12-23-2012, 07:40 AM
#5
Thank you for your feedback! Update with iPhone 5 resolution support, and control fixes should be available in January
12-23-2012, 10:28 AM
#6
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: AL
Posts: 4,361
Appletine, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoonwalls View Post
Thank you for your feedback! Update with iPhone 5 resolution support, and control fixes should be available in January
Cool. I'm looking forward to that update.
12-27-2012, 09:37 AM
#7
Bump, free for the last few days
12-27-2012, 10:28 AM
#8
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: AL
Posts: 4,361
Using Appletine's trick I was able to finish much of the game... but there is a bug I keep meaning to report which has allowed me to get what I think is the top score in each level and sometimes full stars. I'll pm it over though so as not to ruin the game for anyone.
12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
Using Appletine's trick I was able to finish much of the game... but there is a bug I keep meaning to report which has allowed me to get what I think is the top score in each level and sometimes full stars. I'll pm it over though so as not to ruin the game for anyone.
I will be grateful for this info, I weren't aware that there is such "bug". Thank you!
12-27-2012, 10:39 AM
#10
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: AL
Posts: 4,361
No problem. Just sent the pm. Beyond the easy way to get top scores in the game and sometimes all 3 stars without earning them... there's a bug in the broken cog levels. It's all in the PM. Hopefully it'll help y'all sort out the issues and make the game better.