Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Battlemass (by PL Young) [Universal]

Because of the shear number of cheap or free games on the App Store you can download and try one game right after another. But if learning the gameplay of a particular game takes more than two or three minutes of thought you'll probably put it in your 'to-be-deleted' folder or even delete it and then move to the next game you just downloaded. Well due to this App Store characteristic I almost missed out on one of the best games I ever played.

About six months ago I downloaded a turn-based strategy game along with some other games. I took a look at the game in question and it seemed too complicated to learn with my Twitter induced short attention span. So I put it in my 'to-be-deleted' folder and moved to the other games. Then a few days ago I decided to free up my iPad's memory by actually deleting the games in my to-be-deleted folder. But before doing this I usually take one more serious look at the games. This is how I retroactively discovered one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's really very simple. It's fun, deep, the essence of strategy. The graphics are 3-D. The work that went into the game was done by a true professional.

And it's now FREE! It was 600 yen when I bought it and until a few days ago.

You've GOT to get this game.

http://plyoung.com/battlemass

Last edited by metalcasket; 01-05-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

No I am not the developer. I have no connection to the game nor the developer. I just like to see a good game get it's due.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Eh, I'll just stick to greed corp. I don't care about games if they're free or not, if its a quality game ill spend money on it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Actually about a year ago I was trying to promote the game I did develop but it never got anywhere so I actually ended up pulling it from the app store. http://TheOctagonTheory.com That was my game but it is gone now.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I think you'll like it. Let me know if you do and your player name so maybe we can play an online game.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

TakenXXDeadly. You really should give it a try. Battlemass is a quality game. You'd be surprised and you might like it better than Greed Corp. At least give it a try.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually the skin I designed had a more SciFi theme but I went with my friend's skin because my family (all women) liked his better. Another friend said the name is bad - it sounds like something a math professor would use. I did do a lot of unsuccessful promotion. And it got some good reviews, one in Edge Online: http://www.edge-online.com/review/oc...theory-review/

But if a game doesn't get noticed by Apple or gain a grass roots popularity it's doomed.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctagonTheory View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Actually the skin I designed had a more SciFi theme but I went with my friend's skin because my family (all women) liked his better. Another friend said the name is bad - it sounds like something a math professor would use.
Honestly, you should revisit the game, changing the name to something a little less clinical and reworking the art to present the game as a more visually appealing "real-world boardgame" instead of a neon abstract, while keeping the same rules. I can pretty much guarantee that these features would draw greater interest to the game than it has gained thus far, and would also increase the likelihood of gaining notice over at BGG as well. You may not be able to justify the expense involved in doing this, though, which is fair enough.

Quote:
But if a game doesn't get noticed by Apple or gain a grass roots popularity it's doomed.
I'll let you in on a secret... want to know what dooms a game more completely than lack of recognition by Apple or a thundering fanbase? Pulling it from the app store completely. :P
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Appletini, The reason I pulled it from the App store was because of Gree buying and discontinuing OpenFeint. This effectively 'broke' my game. I used Ansca Corona to develop the game and the sales of my game couldn't justify purchasing another year subscription of Corona which would have allowed me to make the necessary changes to the game. So instead of selling a 'broken' game I decided to pull it from the App Store.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

In order for a game to be popular, it first has to have appeal. Battlemass graphics, as seen in iTunes is not appealing. It's not even clean. It's a mess.

It may be a great game, but if nobody else is playing it or even interested in it, then I wouldn't want to waste my time learning how to play it. Let's face it, people want to play games that other people are playing and talking about right now.

Don't bring a game to the IOS market until it is polished and gleaming and has obvious mass appeal (at least within it's own genre). The first couple of weeks are critical. If the initial reviews are not excellent, your game may be sunk, because those reviews won't go away no matter how many improvements you make to your game afterwards.

P.S. What does 600 yen mean to Americans? Nothing, it's a foreign language.