★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

[Soft Launch PH] Midnight Star Renegade (by Industrial Toys LLC)

03-25-2016, 02:05 PM
[Soft Launch PH] Midnight Star Renegade (by Industrial Toys LLC)

Midnight Star Renegade

Industrial Toys LLC
Genres: Games Action Adventure
GAME CENTER ENABLED
Free

Quote:
Save humanity in the brand new shooter from Industrial Toys!

* IMPORTANT * Midnight Star: Renegade requires an iPhone 5s (or newer), an iPad Mini 2 (or newer), or an iPad Air (or newer).

Craft your own weapons and gear while ascending the ranks of the GMSC's elite Renegade forces. Shooting combat spans fast, action-packed levels as you unravel the mysteries left behind by a space faring civilization that went missing 22,000 years ago.

SHOOT ALIENS
Built for touch, Renegade offers the best in shooting action on mobile. Run around levels using directional swipes and touch to shoot a wide variety of pistols, rifles, rockets and grenades.

CRAFT WEAPONS
Play the way you want as you build your Renegade's gear from a huge variety of available parts. Choose burst fire over auto fire for close quarters or explosive rocket ordinance and jump boots to let you fly and destroy- the options are limitless.

LEADERBOARDS
Endless Mode let's you compete for high score between friends and the community. Upgrade your gear and enter the fray with challengers from all over the world.

A DEEP STORY
Written with Hugo-winning author John Scalzi, Renegade puts you in the pivotal role of an elite GMSC soldier fighting to unlock the secrets of a long lost alien race before the Dust Empire beats us to it! You'll shoot aliens, recover archives, rescue POWs and a lot more on your journey to victory!

Supported Devices:
  • iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G
  • iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s
  • iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus
  • iPodTouchSixthGen

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 8.0

Download Size: 293.7MB

03-25-2016, 02:06 PM

There’s a lot of potential here. But right now it really feels like an early access game. There’s pretty much no sound in the entire game, the aspect ratio of the menus is weird, the walking controls are super awkward, there is no option menu and the levels feel empty. But the shooting feels right and that’s the most important thing. There’s plenty of loot which I really like and some parts of the levels are gorgeous. And last but not least, there’s an option to continue without GC.
03-25-2016, 04:00 PM

Midnight Star Renegade (aka what I was and always will call it Midnight Star Academy) is pretty much a straight One Tap Shooter that is complete playable with your thumb (Only Zooming does require you to use a second finger!).

The Core Gameplay Mechanics are pretty similar to Midnight Star which already has shown us that 3D First-Person-Shooter can actually worth very well if the UI is polished well enough with only a Thumb.

The current Build runs as far as I can tell pretty stable during the Campaign Mode and only the Endless Mode lead me straight after a couple of seconds in it to an Crash right to my Home Screen (Versus Mode is not yet included in the current Build so no Multiplayer Headshoots for now )

Weapon and Equipment Parts are upgradeable/replaceable with new Gear that you can obtain either by playing through the Game itself and that way obtain InGame Drops & Gold Coins with which you can buy those Drops in the InGame Store Those Drops/InGame Gold Coins are also buyable for $$$.

The InGame Levels are pretty well crafted and get over time very challenging if you try to obtain always three Stars so expect to either replay some of those a couple of times or get back to those later when you have better gear since there is no way you could get through those always with the Standard Gear you are getting at the beginning.

The Shooting Part itself is as already mentioned before well done and I really did enjoy playing the Game so far for around one hour and trying to always obtain all three Stars even if made me once Rage Quit the Game to take a break from it

The hole Game pretty much feels like Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions back on my PlayStation which is already a pretty good sign since I had spent with that Game more hours then I had thought at the beginning I would.

In the end it`s really up to the Team at Industrial Toys LLC what they will make out of the Game. It`s currently just to early to even guess how the Game might change over the upcoming months and how the hole Freemium Part might influence the hole Gameplay Experience since at the current time a lot of the Game Mechanics aren`t even yet added to the Game so the Testing can be done without having first to wait till a Timer does run out or whatever there might be else missing in the Game that could hold us away from just keep playing the Game till our Battery does run out.

Conclusion:

Midnight Star Academy, sorry I mean of course Midnight Star Renegade is a nice expansion to the Midnight Star Universe and it will be interesting to see what else might be missing in the Game or how the Multiplayer might expand the Gameplay of the Game that is currently sadly not yet added in the Game.

Since many Features of the Game aren`t yet included I am not able to rate the Game and/or guess what it`s Full Potencial might be at the current moment so I will leave it currently without a Rating till the Game get`s all Modes added.
03-29-2016, 04:27 AM
Yeah, I agree with Sanuku's analysis.
The shooting mechanics and the weapons modding/crafting are very good, but the game as of now is in very early development stage. I mean, the campaign is there (150 levels) but the music is missing and the interface needs some polish.
I think that in a few months the game could be ready for full scale launch.