Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Default What do YOU look for in a platform game?

So I've gathered a few fans and followers with AWESOME Land and MANOS, and I another few are in the works for 2013, many bigger or more complicated, but I'm curious. What do you, personally, look for in your platform games? What makes them stand out and ensure that you buy them?

For me it's the structure - iOS games tend to do the Angry Birds thing, throw hundreds of tiny levels at you which go past faster than you can blink and rank your performance. I always think a platform game stands out when the developer shifts focus to the variety of the experience - so that you don't spend too long in one world, focusing on the same backdrops in a different layout for 10-20 different levels before you get to see anymore. I prefer the console-style platformer, where worlds tend to be varied and contain boss battles. Usually if a platform game on iOS shows screenshots of boss battles and variety then I'll pick it up.

But what about you? What makes a platform game stand out for you, and what do you think iOS is lacking in the genre?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantJ View Post
So I've gathered a few fans and followers with AWESOME Land and MANOS, and I another few are in the works for 2013, many bigger or more complicated, but I'm curious. What do you, personally, look for in your platform games? What makes them stand out and ensure that you buy them?

For me it's the structure - iOS games tend to do the Angry Birds thing, throw hundreds of tiny levels at you which go past faster than you can blink and rank your performance. I always think a platform game stands out when the developer shifts focus to the variety of the experience - so that you don't spend too long in one world, focusing on the same backdrops in a different layout for 10-20 different levels before you get to see anymore. I prefer the console-style platformer, where worlds tend to be varied and contain boss battles. Usually if a platform game on iOS shows screenshots of boss battles and variety then I'll pick it up.

But what about you? What makes a platform game stand out for you, and what do you think iOS is lacking in the genre?
Console style platformers
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantJ View Post

Basically I agree with you, but I would add a few things:

* personality: the best platformers have strong personalities. But also that personality is fully integrated into the gameplay. Examples: Super Mario Bros, Rayman Origins

* characters: there's a reason why Mario continues to be sell games, and why some of the most memorable platformers of the SNES era were Disney-based. They all have strong, identifiable characters. You root for Mickey in Castle of Illusions, enjoy Scrooge McDuck's antics in Ducktales. There's more to it than just getting from point a to point b.

* variety: great platformers constantly introduce new gameplay ideas, even as they provide variations of established ones.

* puzzles: not every platformer needs to be a "puzzle" platformer, but the best ones provide challenges that go beyond dexterity. They make you think, not just react.

* consistent and predictable physics. Bad platformers feel "floaty," with characters, enemies, and objects lacking the "weight" that we expect from them. That doesn't mean that the physics need to be realistic, but they should at least feel internally consistent.

* checkpoints: long levels are great, but a lack of checkpoints can lead to unnecessary frustration, particularly in a mobile platform.

Boss fights can be great, but they can also be deeply frustrating if carelessly designed. Longer levels give you room to explore, but I can think of games like Mini Dash that hook you with bite-size but wildely creative levels.

On iOS, I would say that the following hit most or all of those marks:

Wimp
Nihilumbra
Frogatto
Oscura
Terra Noctis
Wacoon!
Incoboto
Shantae
Jazz
Mutant Mudds
Crazy Hedgy
Storm in a Teacup
NyxQuest

I'm sure there are others.

Last edited by squarezero; 12-15-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Old 12-15-2012, 11:28 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Basically I agree with you, but I would add a few things:

* personality: the best platformers have strong personalities. But also that personality is fully integrated into the gameplay. Examples: Super Mario Bros, Rayman Origins

* characters: there's a reason why Mario continues to be sell games, and why some of the most memorable platformers of the SNES era were Disney-based. They all have strong, identifiable characters. You root for Mickey in Castle of Illusions, enjoy Scrooge McDuck's antics in Ducktales. There's more to it than just getting from point a to point b.

* variety: great platformers constantly introduce new gameplay ideas, even as they provide variations of established ones.

* puzzles: not every platformer needs to be a "puzzle" platformer, but the best ones provide challenges that go beyond dexterity. They make you think, not just react.

* consistent and predictable physics. Bad platformers feel "floaty," with characters, enemies, and objects lacking the "weight" that we expect from them. That doesn't mean that the physics need to be realistic, but they should at least feel internally consistent.

* checkpoints: long levels are great, but a lack of checkpoints can lead to unnecessary frustration, particularly in a mobile platform.

Boss fights can be great, but they can also be deeply frustrating if carelessly designed. Longer levels give you room to explore, but I can think of games like Mini Dash that hook you with bite-size but wildely creative levels.

On iOS, I would say that the following hit most or all of those marks:

Wimp
Nihilumbra
Frogatto
Oscura
Terra Noctis
Wacoon!
Incoboto
Shantae
Jazz
Mutant Mudds
Crazy Hedgy
Storm in a Teacup
NyxQuest
Mutant Mudds

I'm sure there are others.
You like mutant mudds so much you listed it twice
Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
You like mutant mudds so much you listed it twice
Actually, I should have listed Wimp and Crazy Hedgy twice, too .

I'll add Paper Monsters to that list.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Actually, I should have listed Wimp and Crazy Hedgy twice, too .

I'll add Paper Monsters to that list.
Mikey shorts should be there
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Lol..noticed that too. Think I finally have some time later tonight to pick up Mutant Mudds.
My favorites is Frogatto, Mikey Shorts and Shantae right now...

I guess I'm more of a wimp in platformers so I prefer a lot of check points with infinite lives. Platformers that make you start from the beginning of levels are just too annoying for me.

Last edited by tops2; 12-15-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

For a touchscreen platformer, I find that auto-runners perform the best. That's not to say manual-move platformers are not good - you've got games like Nihilumbra and Waking Mars which are simply amazing. But I don't think traditional platformers are fun on touchscreens.

Among the best auto-running platformers:
- Rayman Jungle Run
- Polara
- Wind Up Knight
- Gear Jack
- Totem Runner
Old 12-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I play primarily on an ipad, so moveable controls are a must like on Mickey Shorts and wimp.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:56 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

I disagree, auto runners have been done to death, we need more standard Platformers and not based on speed runs (cuz those have been down to death aswell)

It should be something like Megaman or castlevania. Also puzzles, I'd like for a platformer filled with a good bit of puzzles to go along with fighting and maneuvering etc..

Story is important too... As well as music, graphics(don't mean 3d) and most importantly last appeal and longevity. I feel like most Platformers end too soon I'd like one that lasts twice or 3 times as long.

Epic Boss battles are another must...

Agree with the games listed above also I still define games with platforming and fighting as Platformers rather than action/adventure(I dunno I guess it depends but i feel like too many games are focusing too much on just the platforming aka Mikey shorts...not that it's not good its just not the kind of platformer I prefer)

I guess my favorite Platformers ever would be magical quest starring Mickey mouse, super Mario world 2 yoshi's island and Donkey Kong Country 2/3 there needs to be more games similar to these on iOS. The closest to it is I guess terra noctis, shantae and froggato.. But even those fall a bit short too the great console Platformers of old...