★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Squad Based Real Time Tactics

06-29-2009, 10:22 AM
#1
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,272
Squad Based Real Time Tactics

What's your opinion on games like Tom Clancy's Endwar and SOCOM Tactical Strike? There should be something similar to them on the Iphone/Itouch. It does'nt even have to be 3D as long as it looked decent and some good gameplay and AI.
06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
#2
Socom and end war are different games. One is an rts and the other is a tactical shooter. The tom clancy tactical shooters are GRAW (and other ghost recon games) and Rainbow Six

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06

06-29-2009, 03:54 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsh06 View Post
Socom and end war are different games. One is an rts and the other is a tactical shooter. The tom clancy tactical shooters are GRAW (and other ghost recon games) and Rainbow Six
Actually SOCOM Tactical Strike is a spin-off of SOCOM series, it plays more like Full Spectrum Warrior. Its not like in SOCOM where you play as 1 character and lead 3 others.

Current: iPhone 6S, new 3DS, Vita
06-29-2009, 04:13 PM
#4
Really. I never heard of that game. Anyway they still are different a bit. And what he is talking about (squad tactics) is more like GRAW and rainbow six anyway. But if he wants an rts then end war is class. Out of all so called rts games in that you actually need strategy

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM
#5
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 160
i'd much prefer to see a real time squad based shooter like the original socom series or GRAW, any type of coop suqad shooter with inbuilt voip would kick ass!

Plus+ : Tavoss (feel free to add me)
06-29-2009, 04:57 PM
#6
Joined: May 2009
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsh06 View Post
Really. I never heard of that game.
I don't blame you. It was a PSP exclusive, but it was an amazing game for the system. I would love to see something like that on iPod, or even a turn based squad tactical game like Warhammer 40,000: Squad Commander.

Currently Listening To: Wolfmother
06-29-2009, 04:59 PM
#7
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by uSICu View Post
I don't blame you. It was a PSP exclusive, but it was an amazing game for the system. I would love to see something like that on iPod, or even a turn based squad tactical game like Warhammer 40,000: Squad Commander.
I think RedLynx did Warhammer40k Squad Commander, they also do some iPhone games and I think Pathway to Glory on the ngage.

Current: iPhone 6S, new 3DS, Vita
06-29-2009, 06:09 PM
#8
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 144
ya it would be pretty cool to have a dawn of war style squad-based shooter, endwar is actually a very hard rts when you play online, but it has nothing to do with squad tactics or micromanagement, its more about your general strategy and unit placement, although tactics do help :P

Top 3 games: Real racing, F.A.S.T, Caster

Check out daily game reviews here>>>>>here<<<<<<<

Last edited by somedude445; 06-29-2009 at 06:12 PM.
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
#9
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude445 View Post
ya it would be pretty cool to have a dawn of war style squad-based shooter, endwar is actually a very hard rts when you play online, but it has nothing to do with squad tactics or micromanagement, its more about your general strategy and unit placement, although tactics do help :P
It would be awesome to have online multiplayer on a RTT on Iphone/Itouch. There's a difference between RTS and RTT. RTS you command armies and have a commander's POV, while RTT you command one unit and have the soldier's POV.
06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
#10
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 144
endwar is both, because you control the units from their point of view, but if u have the command vehicle unit out you can control them from the holographic map which is kinda like the rts god view.

Top 3 games: Real racing, F.A.S.T, Caster

Check out daily game reviews here>>>>>here<<<<<<<