★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Even a supposed FC knockoff can be cloned...

06-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Even a knockoff can be cloned (Boat Mania)...

Quoting from DaveMc99 in the Harbor Master thread comes, Boat Mania:

Quote:
So I guess folk could call it a knock-off of a knock-off, eh? It actually does, at least from the screenshots, look like it might have a few interesting tweaks that stand it apart from Harbor Master:

1) Multiple Lives (with the ability to get more from powerups)
2) Varying level mission objectives (like docking so many of a certain color boat).
3) The idea of snagging various powerups in the water.
4) 10 levels so I can only assume 10 different layouts.

On the minus side it doesn't look that polished and, maybe it's just me, but I find it very suspicious that they don't seem to list anyway to contact the developer on their webpage (do they fear Imagani will flick them shoot or is it simply that they REALLY don't want to hear from the consumers?).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 06-29-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Changing Title.
06-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Well, someone from imangi told anyone who wants to have a go at the genre should have one. They have learnt from their past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The prez 12521 View Post
No. But there's a good chance she'll put her hand down there. Like we were holding hands in the movie, she moved our hands on my lap and I was just thinking...oh god please not now please stay soft
Reminding for when I get new iPod: Epic Win

06-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Haha, great, but this time Imangi itself should sit still
Crazy cheap iPhone gaming world...

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
06-29-2009, 02:39 PM
i don't think the guys at imangi r gonna care about this too much cuz their game is still by far the better one, and i'm sure harbor master has waaaaaaaaaay more sales than boat mania anyway
06-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_10 View Post
i don't think the guys at imangi r gonna care about this too much cuz their game is still by far the better one, and i'm sure harbor master has waaaaaaaaaay more sales than boat mania anyway
have you even played it, if not don't judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The prez 12521 View Post
No. But there's a good chance she'll put her hand down there. Like we were holding hands in the movie, she moved our hands on my lap and I was just thinking...oh god please not now please stay soft
Reminding for when I get new iPod: Epic Win
06-29-2009, 02:45 PM
harbor master was released not too long ago...do you really think these guys copied the game so quickly? maybe they were in development in tandem?
i have harbor master and dont like it at all....yes, im one of the few....this game looks better as far as im concerned....ill wait to see what people think..
06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattylux View Post
The gameplay is more like Dock'em than Harbor Master.
http://xblcg.info/game/dockem

06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by super6ft7 View Post
i didn't say its a bad game or people shouldn't try it..
06-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by super6ft7 View Post
In term of graphic and how the game put up together as a clone brand its surely behind Harbor Master.

Nexx Studio - Indie Game Publisher - Blog | Facebook | Twitter
Dulp - Zig Zag Boom - Sidechain - Warship Solitaire - Bloom Box - Pig Shot - Glow Puzzle - The Idiot Test 3 - and more awesome games!
06-29-2009, 03:47 PM
I have Harbor Master and I love it. I agree with "aleceiffel" though. However, Boat Mania does appear to be not very polished and probably isn't compared to Harbor Master.

EDIT: I just noticed this but in fact both games were released on June 17, 2009, so Boat Mania could not have been a clone of Harbor Master. Probably a coincidence. So if anybody was going to complain, it should be Firemint, hehe.

Last edited by hawks12thman; 06-29-2009 at 03:49 PM.