Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Send a message via Skype™ to bladko
Default Opinion about Corona SDK from native iOS developer or Unity

What is your opinion about Corona SDK from native iOS or Unity developers perspective (those more Pro)?

Probably you will say its not so good but there are cons or pros. Would be great to hear from you about your opinion. The more IMHO the better.

I am a Corona SDK user for some time and have some real limitation but on the other hand...
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm going to tag on to this thread as I'm curious about CoronaSDK opinions as well, for a business application that will need to be available to both iphones and androids, that's initially the main thing that attracted me to it.

In general I dislike the idea of using a middle layer for coding, but my timeframe doesn't allow for learning both platforms natively at the moment.

But Lua, the language used by Corona, seems to be popular/accepted, so who knows...
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM

I switched to Corona from native iOS dev (about 1.5 years ago). I haven't looked back since. Corona is amazingly good! It's just so fast to get stuff up and running, performance is awesome, tons of community support, and they're always improving on it (they've hinted at Mac App Store and Windows Phone 8 support). I can't imagine using any other SDK now. It's actually that good! If you're on the edge about using Corona, go for it; you'll thank me later
Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

We have switched from native iOS cocos2d to Corona about 1 year ago and we are quite happy about the result.

Only thing to keep in mind though - if you develop free game and rely on the Ad, the availability of the ad networks may be limited. E.g, the Mobclix is not supported. Also Chartboost, PlayHeaven et al are not supported either.

Eric Lu
Toccata Technologies
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

try revmob in Corona SDK. I am using Corona for aprox 12 months so I can say same as you i was wondering to get some exp from the "dark side of the force".

Tom
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM

I use inmobi + Revmob and it's been working great. In the past I've tried admob, iAd, Mobclix and a couple more but I've finally settled on inmobi (banner ads) and Revmob (full screen ads). And they're both fully supported in Corona
Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Default What limitations are you hitting?

What limitations are you running into @Bladko?
Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

If we assume that project Gluon is done and Corona Cloud would be as good as Game Minion API (plus cool pricing) then i lack Twitter API, some few minor API functions. Simulator is somehow limited, to many features require device, so its time consuming to use it. Would be nice to turn off launchpad because it sucks anyway.

for full featured IDE you have awesome Glider IDE (huge update in few days) so i would not bother to have one from Corona. For UI editor i always use some build in house solution based on SVG + inkscape. For ads you have revmob.com and iAP is working fine (would be nice to have some server validation in the house) thou would be nice to have one for Amazon.

I wonder what "native" folks think about this.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:01 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to MarkFromBitmenStudios

I am one of the "native" guys but I have never used Corona SDK and the same prolly is true for most natives. It looks kinda mature but I'd personally only use it for prototyping. I'm using lua to script missions or similar stuff but I'd not do a sophisticated game fully in any scripting language.

At the end of the day, it's about using the right tool for the right purpose. If you are doing a simple game then it may well work out for you. In my experience with other "rapid prototyping tools" in other areas, you always run the risk to run into something that was not supported by the environment and then whatever time you saved early on, you're going to spend trying to figure out how to solve that special problem. Or you need to leave out features you actually wanted in the game which is also not good.

IMHO, get a good upfront design of your next game, then check against the capabilities of the platform. If you feel comfortable that you can realize all its features with that platform, then go for it. Otherwise don't.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I'm looking into doing some Corona work, but my intents are purely business app related, no 3D/physics or fancy audio/video needs, for which I think a system such as Corona is brilliant, especially since I need the app to be available for android/ios/kindle(android'ish') users.

When I get into actual game coding, I would go pure ObjectiveC/iOS, as I don't really 'trust' any middle man for the reasons stated in the post above mine.

Granted, there are probably many game apps (educational/learning) I could build that would still be perfectly fine in Corona (which I will probably be asked to do if the business app works out solid), but for a 'real' game, i'd personally be extremely leery to do Corona.

But then again, maybe I'm not giving it enough credit, who knows. I haven't seen anything on their site bragging about any 'real' game.