Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Default Reasons why you're liking Freemium games?

Yes, yes yes, I know. So many people hate IAP, Freemium and Paymium stuff or whatever. But I am more interested in those people here who actually LIKE Freemium or Paymium games. Looking at Apple's top grosssing charts, you'll always find more Free- or Paymium games there than premium apps. Ok, exclude Angry Birds Star Wars and the other famous casuals.
There must be a reason why Paymium / Freemium spills a... few more bucks than Premium apps into Apple's purse.
To make one thing clear: Freemium = play the whole games without the need to spend money and only a little bit of grinding could be involved - Paymium = after paying for a game, another paywall hits sooner or later or there's heavy grinding needed.

I am playing Lies of Astaroth, D.O.T., Shufflepuck Cantina, Jewel Dragon, Lovi Town, Puzzle & Dragon and some f2p K-RPGs at the moment. Because I have family, my gaming time is limited. I don't spend money on consumables, skins or in-game items, but occassionally I buy IAPs - still these games are really good and in short bursts once or twice per day (after the usual recovering phases) really satisfying.
I will try out Clash of Clans soon.

I am always very asmused by the fact that people using Freemium/Paymium apps are looked at like Premium traitors... as if you made a pact with the devil when downloading F/P apps. None of that nonsense here.

So, what do you play and why do you like Freemium or Paymium?
Recommendations pointing at hidden gems in Freemium are always appreciated!

People about to complain about Freemium/Paymium: please do that somewhere else. If you really made it until here, that is.

Last edited by Vovin; 12-31-2012 at 12:21 PM..
Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Nimble bit games:
Tiny tower
Pocket planes
My favourite freemium games
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Big fish games and G5 games..i like freemium because you can try game and buy if you like
Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Another two
Middle manager of justice.
Total recoil
Old 12-31-2012, 09:11 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

I just play what I find fun regardless of whether it contains IAP or not. I usually don't buy most IAP anyways. One thing, to me, is these freemium games probably offer a sense of progression and are simple enough to play, with hidden depth the more you play. And a lot of these seem easy to jump in for a few minutes to play.

This break I tried Arcane Legends and have played it quite a lot. It's quick to jump in for a few minutes, and with easy match making, I go for a few dungeon runs with strangers while collecting loot. The game is simple enough, but offers enough carrot on the stick to me..and I don't even notice it's a freemium game. Heroes of Order.and Choas is pretty fun, high quality game to me too, but DOTAs are all a bit too intimidating to me. I enjoyed Gun Bros quite a lot back when I first for my iPod touch. The last 3 I liked a lot is Pocket Planes, Jetpack Joyride and Subway Surfers.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

I just dled baseball superstars 2012. Game is a lot of fun but man (maybe i'm just doing it wrong) it seems like you have to use the cash shop. At least being a noob and not understanding the game much and the fact that it does not seem to explain enough to you to know how to play without the IAP or attempt to.

Sucks but when it's that bad it turns me right off the game. I posted a thread trying to see if there was a guide to it to get the most out of the game with out cash (I don't mind spending cash but not right away lol).

I've encounter only a few good f2p games and they have all been on pc.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops2 View Post
This break I tried Arcane Legends and have played it quite a lot. It's quick to jump in for a few minutes, and with easy match making, I go for a few dungeon runs with strangers while collecting loot. The game is simple enough, but offers enough carrot on the stick to me..and I don't even notice it's a freemium game. Heroes of Order.and Choas is pretty fun, high quality game to me too, but DOTAs are all a bit too intimidating to me. I enjoyed Gun Bros quite a lot back when I first for my iPod touch. The last 3 I liked a lot is Pocket Planes, Jetpack Joyride and Subway Surfers.

Arcane Legends? Thanks, I'll take a dive into that!

But if somebody ever wants a watered-down magic-like card game, I highly recommend Lies of Astaroth. The game provides you with lots of stuff and the battles get tactically quite deep!

Last edited by Vovin; 12-31-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbl3 View Post
I just dled baseball superstars 2012. Game is a lot of fun but man (maybe i'm just doing it wrong) it seems like you have to use the cash shop. At least being a noob and not understanding the game much and the fact that it does not seem to explain enough to you to know how to play without the IAP or attempt to.

Sucks but when it's that bad it turns me right off the game. I posted a thread trying to see if there was a guide to it to get the most out of the game with out cash (I don't mind spending cash but not right away lol).

I've encounter only a few good f2p games and they have all been on pc.

Oh yeah, I've played Runes of Magic until total exhaustion...
Old 12-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Dude you got it all wrong. Paymium means pay a price and then there's consumable IAPs. Lol!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:22 PM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by defred34 View Post
Dude you got it all wrong. Paymium means pay a price and then there's consumable IAPs. Lol!

That's what I've meant. I added the missing 3 words.