★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: If you want to sell, simply post a VIDEO!

12-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to your personal robot
If you want to sell, simply post a VIDEO!

Dear Devs,
please please please, if you want to sell your app and if you
can stand behind your product, then it should be easy to post
a video on your website or at least on YouTube before or in
time of the release date. You would quickly get muuuch more
decisions. Nearly nobody gets an app because of 5 pictures today.
App store is a bit behind, ok, but I'm sure they will add this feature
sometime. But if I click on your link I want to see a video! If you
are proud of your app, it should be a pleasure for you to show your
treasure. Otherwise it very often makes me think you would NEVER
post a vid, because then people will see quickly, that you just want
to make quick money with shit
But please, posting videos is easy as posting pics today.
And you should be interested in the best possible marketing.
And this is simply POSTING A VIDEO.

THANK YOU.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..

Last edited by your personal robot; 12-03-2008 at 02:20 AM.
12-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Agreed. Watching a good video of a game has made me purchase when I wasn't really sure before.

12-03-2008, 02:55 AM
+1
Especially for impulse buys (when the game is just released and there are not a lot of reviews yet), a video is THE way for the player to see what gameplay is like.

Stefan
12-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Better release a demo version which takes you through the first mission/level for around 30 seconds or a minute and the the app closes automatically. I think such demos will be far better than "Lite versions"

Currently Playing: N.O.V.A, Skater Nation, 33rd Division, 7 Cities, Karnival.
Looking Forward to: GTA: Chinatown Wars, Ravensword (update), 1112 ep 02 and yeah the hangover on 1st
12-03-2008, 03:01 AM
And yes release the demos a little before the full versions.

Currently Playing: N.O.V.A, Skater Nation, 33rd Division, 7 Cities, Karnival.
Looking Forward to: GTA: Chinatown Wars, Ravensword (update), 1112 ep 02 and yeah the hangover on 1st
12-03-2008, 03:28 AM
Posting a video isn't really as easy as posting pics. Most devs would rather release a 'trailer' rather than a standard 'gameplay video'. Trailers sell the product, and they also give context to what you're seeing.

Put simply, a trailer lets the developer control what you think of the game *they don't want the possibility of you misunderstanding anything and thinking "that looks boring".

Step two of this point: Creating a trailer takes much more effort than you probably think. And is therefore not near as easy as posting pics, and I wouldn't expect many of the current iPhone devs to bother with it.

Also, when you consider this next to the thread starting comment about not wanting to accidentally buy a trashy game... most iPhone games are pretty trashy so either they don't want you to know this and buy it unsuspectingly, or, they would have to work double-time on a trailer to make you think it's good when it actually isn't.

I personally think 'impulse buys' are half of what make the AppStore go round and round. How many of us can't count on one hand the amount of apps we've bought and been disappointed with?
12-03-2008, 03:47 AM
What the?

Thanks for the videos, but:

A large number of iPhone buyers are Mac users. (not most, but a large number)

Those MSN video (didn't even know that site existed) links bring up a 'Your operating system / browser is not supported' link, telling me to get Internet Explorer. It says 'Click here to continue anyway' and then i got video showing an advert for a Reese Witherspoon movie, along with a big flashing "Your video will startt after this' and I figure, ok, i'll wait... watch the crappy chick flick trailer, then the movie starts... but not your movie, it's a news buletin about a taxi driver getting run over...

WHAT THE?

People, use Youtube!!

ALSO, the main reason for this rant is that a lot of the youtube links to videos on this site say 'this video isn't supported on the iPhone' from the iPhone's youtube client.

If you're having videos of iPhone games to entice buying, doesn't it make sense to have them watchable on the iPhone itself?

Devs obviously have a mac. When they've recorded their demo movie, if they haven't used the free iMovie 08 built into every mac then just drag your movie in, and click the share menu, Send to Youtube, and tick the box for iPhone size compatible and it will automatically submit it suitably for the iPhone.

It's not that hard....
12-03-2008, 03:48 AM
Polarbit: on the second attempt, those links worked... odd.

But if you can use youtube in an iphone friendly res (made easy by uploading from iMovie) then I could watch them on the iPhone at work and buy your app directly from there

Also: Where's the sound? I can't hear any of those games...

I'm not interested in the car one as I didn't really like Crash, and have Fastlane, but Armageddon Squadron looks absolutely awesome! Hadn't seen this till now, how did it slip past me? Downloading now...

Last edited by darwiniandude; 12-03-2008 at 03:54 AM.
12-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Cool! Hope you like it. Be sure to tell your friends.

The reason we use MSN / Soapbox is that the video quality is unsurpassed among online video services. It is a bit troubling that you had issues on your first attempt, but hopefully it was a temporary glitch.