Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Which iPad model ONLY to play?

I'm evaluating to buy an used iPad only to play. Which model do you suggest? Of course I'm not interested in 3G connection.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Get an iPad 4 if you really wanna do some heavy gaming on it.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Banned
iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by masvil View Post
I'm evaluating to buy an used iPad only to play. Which model do you suggest? Of course I'm not interested in 3G connection.
if u don't care about price, i think crex really hits the point, no doubt ipad 4 would be the best model
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaricb View Post
if u don't care about price, i think crex really hits the point, no doubt ipad 4 would be the best model
Well, there is no doubt about that. But there probably are no used models out there for sale. That's why in this case, the new ipad (3) might be the best option. You might be able to find a used one for up to $300 less than an ipad 4. For that much of a price difference, it is probably worth it. There are only a handful of titles that are optimized for the ipad 4. Out of 6000 games on my new ipad, only one, Nova 3, Seems to run a huge difference right now. Wild blood, nfs most wanted, shadowgun deadzone run really well now on the new ipad after updates.

Try to find a new ipad for $300 less than an ipad 4. But of course, if you want the latest and greatest get the ipad 4 definitely.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to Pman

Well if you need productivity then you could go ipad 2, but gaming is so much abut processor/ram you need an ipad 4.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 AM
iPad (4th Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Well, there is no doubt about that. But there probably are no used models out there for sale. That's why in this case, the new ipad (3) might be the best option. You might be able to find a used one for up to $300 less than an ipad 4. For that much of a price difference, it is probably worth it. There are only a handful of titles that are optimized for the ipad 4. Out of 6000 games on my new ipad, only one, Nova 3, Seems to run a huge difference right now. Wild blood, nfs most wanted, shadowgun deadzone run really well now on the new ipad after updates.

Try to find a new ipad for $300 less than an ipad 4. But of course, if you want the latest and greatest get the ipad 4 definitely.
I'd say your advice is right-on there. I'd go with that if I was in his situation now for sure.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

The iPad 4 is a nice step up but I must say that I play (and keep most off) my games on the ipad 2 as its 64 gb are filled to the brim and they all run very smooth, theres virtually no game that the ipad 2 runs choppy at this point so if retina display isnt a necessity you certainly could do worst than an ipad 2.

So far the only games Ive had the need to put on the 4 are those who need ios6 to run and while the retina display and bump in performance is great it doesnt take away the more than competent performance of the ipad 2.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Yes but the A5 is getting a tad dated. If money is no object then the iPad 4 will both last the longest and provide a noticeably smoother and prettier gaming experience.

An iPad 2 will probably last you another year before you notice things getting pretty slow.

An iPad 3 is a tad trickier; retina is beautiful but the device is underpowered. You'll typically be getting worse performance than the iPad 2.

An iPad 1 is out of the question, so really it boils down to price and longevity, the iPads 2 & 4: do you want a cheaper model that lacks some features and won't last you as long or do you want to lay down double that amount and get a faster, prettier iPad that'll being the playing field for quite some time?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaricb View Post
I care about price, that's the reason why I'm evaluating an used device. My purpose is to use iPad (+ iCade) only for games. I know I'm going to a overpriced solution (if you consider a good console costs half an iPad), so I'd like to to reduce that "over" :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanTuna View Post
theres virtually no game that the ipad 2 runs choppy at this point so if retina display isnt a necessity you certainly could do worst than an ipad 2.
That's a good point for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
An iPad 3 is a tad trickier; retina is beautiful but the device is underpowered. You'll typically be getting worse performance than the iPad 2.
Oh, very useful info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
But of course, if you want the latest and greatest get the ipad 4 definitely.
An used iPad 2 would costs $ 300. A new iPad Retina (4) $ 500. It's just to play games!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:24 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

^^^ Yep, thats why I suggested getting the ipad 2, im sure games in the future will undoubtly phase it out but as off now that hasnt happened. The screen on my ipad 4 is beautiful indeed and it feels faster for sure but as the OP said its a pricier option.

Cant really say anything about the third gen ipad as Ive never used one but I dont think it should have any probelm running most games although maybe not at full retina resolution.