Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Battlemass looked a mess, but Octagon Theory was very interesting.

It needs a defensive unit - something you can drop that doesn't push anything, but can't be pushed. Or different map shapes, maybe, or objective based modes (eg. there are 7 tactical hot spots and it's who can control most of those at the end of the game, rather than just who has most).

The basic mechanic is good, though. Very clean.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

@acrotran, Battlemass has a single-player mode so even if not so many people are playing it it is still worth getting for oneself. Also you write as if it is not "polished and gleaming". That tells me that you've never even tried it. it's VERY polished and gleaming. VERY MUCH so. Last night I was playing it on my Mac against someone on an iPad. And it amazed me at how stable and smooth it was. I thought it was synchronous turn-based. But I found out that it is also async turn-based. If you loose a connection it comes back up and you can continue right where you left off. And you can leave and come back to games later. Dynamite! The network coding behind Battlemass is superb. So download it and try it before you make presumptions. And it does have mass appeal, more than that of Hero Academy (which is good but I think is a bit childish). It's is just one of those games that fell through the cracks.

And @FoolishEarthling, thanks for the ideas for The Octagon Theory. The defensive unit is a great idea, I never thought of that one, nor tactical hotspots either. Cool ideas. I have thought of different map shapes though, that possibility is already built-in. But to tell the truth although my game and Battlemass are totally different I think Battlemass is a light years ahead of my game is all aspects. I just wish I had the skill to make such a superb game.

Last edited by TheOctagonTheory; 01-07-2013 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: addition