Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 AM

Default Gamebook Adventures 8: Infinite Universe - (by Tin Man Games) [Universal]

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Sanuku; 02-28-2012 at 04:48 AM..
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

These are just first impressions, but--

From what I've seen so far, this entry is much different from prior GBAs for a number of reasons. Sure, it's a sci-fi theme which, as far as I can tell, doesn't have anything to do with Orlandes. Beyond that, however, the story structure seems quite removed and in some ways more elaborate than the more traditional "choose a path and try not to die" structure. No spoilers on this front, but I will say it is quite interesting.

Of course the design and implementation is at least as good as the past entries, which is to say, basically flawless. Something I have been really impressed with regarding Tin Man Games is how they've continually improved the UI and features of their apps and in turn updated existing apps to maintain the same level of quality across their whole series. There is a lot to be said of this, considering GBA 1 is now a few years old.

Combat mechanics seem to be much the same as in past books--dice-based attack/defend turns which can be done "under the hood" so to speak if you want to go quickly. Of course there is the fitness and luck mechanics that are thrown in to add a more user-dependent risk/reward element. I haven't gotten to the ranged or vehicular combat yet so I'm unsure how that will affect gameplay.

In all respects this looks to be a great new gamebook but for one detail--I think the writing feels a good deal more amateurish than in past episodes. I hate to say it, because I was really excited for the sci-fi setting, but there is often something awkward about the dialogue and not a lot of interesting imagery so far in my opinion. This is something of a minor complaint given that gamebooks don't usually aim to emulate a Whitmanesque level of composition or anything... I guess that, to me, this just feels more like something from the "young adult" section in some ways than past GBAs, and it's possible that that's partially due to the setting and genre. It does make a certain sense for this character, for example, to say he feels "old school and cool," but it still makes me cringe. Plus, I would be lying if I didn't admit I'm pretty picky about writing since it's part of what I do for a living and as a hobby. Just something to keep in mind.

Anyway, for those who want to try it out, the pricing model makes it low-risk so I suggest going for it. Also, if you're one of those people who likes to support really nice developers who are serious about putting out quality work and rewarding their customers, look no further than Tin Man Games.

Last edited by medianotzu; 02-27-2012 at 07:13 AM..
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

What's the pricing of the chapters/full book etc?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I guess it's good that the new setting is accompanied by a free-to-try app.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavarotti2007 View Post
What's the pricing of the chapters/full book etc?
Free to try with each additional chapter available for 99c USD, (which will bring the total to about $5), or $3.99 to buy the whole thing at once.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:25 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I was waiting for this one quite a lot> I'm a bit sorry to hear that the writing is not on par with previous entries, but I'm still very excited to read/play it.

Since yoú seem to have read it (beta test?), Medianotzu, is there any difference in playing as a woman or man? Does it offer different branchs in the storyline?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Sweet. Can't wait for this to hit the UK I've got all of tin mans gamebooks and love them all. It should be a nice change to have a sci-fi setting.
Although I'm not to impressed by the IAP route and would rather just buy it outright it's not enough to stop me getting it. They are with out a doubt the best choose your own adventure stories on the app store.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Marking this as the 8th is confusing, since it's a separate universe from the previous 7 titles.
Also I find myself wishing there was a "full" version, even though I understand the anti-piracy benefits of having paid unlocks.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Marking this as the 8th is confusing, since it's a separate universe from the previous 7 titles.
There's kind of a historical precedence in the gamebook "industry" for this. Puffin's Fighting Fantasy line kept the numbering from the fantasy line, even when they branched out into sci-fi, superheroes, horror, etc. TSR did the same with their Endless Quest line.

Also, Tin Man Games tried to end the numbering altogether with the last book, but overwhelming complaint resulted in it being re-labeled as book 7.

Not saying you're wrong about it being potentially confusing, just giving a couple of probable reasons for the choice.