Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM

Sounds cool. I look forward to anything more you're able to show us during it's development.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:34 PM

The graphics are awesome. Can't wait to try it.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:35 PM

Definitely interested but sure hope there is some way to change the background color. Too much green for my taste plus a little hard on the eyes.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofunguy View Post
Definitely interested but sure hope there is some way to change the background color. Too much green for my taste plus a little hard on the eyes.
Different areas will use different background graphics / colors - the whole game won't have green walls / floors.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Looks a bit like an 8 bit...oh what was that genesis game called, Equinox I think? Is that the style of gameplay you're shooting for?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:22 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
Looks a bit like an 8 bit...oh what was that genesis game called, Equinox I think? Is that the style of gameplay you're shooting for?
The Immortal is the game you are thinking of. It is certainly an inspiration - specifically the NES version - but won't be as unforgiving (at least not at Normal difficulty). The game will also have some of the aspects of Solstice/Equinox and classic dungeon crawlers.

You will directly control your character - able to manipulate objects in the environment (switches, push objects, pressure plates, etc.). You'll be able to jump and have to navigate some areas like Equinox or Solstice. The character will be able to cast spells, learning new spells as he travels and upgrading himself using equipment, similar to Zelda.

Combat will mostly be ranged, your Wizard will have a basic ranged attack using his staff that can always be used and selection of spells with different affects. The combat is realtime and in the same view as everything else - think of Zelda or the Immortal on the Amiga (not the NES or Genesis version in this case, no seperate combat screens), except with spells and ranged attack rather then melee.

Not all spells will be offensive and some will rely on the environment. For example, one is a Wind spell that pushes enemies or objects within its cone of effect but does not damage directly. So what can you do with this? Push objects from areas you can't reach so they are accessible, push enemies away if they get too close, push enemies off a ledge and into spikes - killing them, deflect a deadly projectile before it can land and more. Some spells, like Fireball, may be powerful but have side effects that can be disastrous or a boon - such as area of effect damage when it explodes. It could kill a group of enemies but just as easily kill you if you're too close. It could light up some torches in a dark room full of dangers or melt the ice bridge, causing you to have to find a new way around.

There will be a lot of exploration and optional content - you'll need to explore fully if you want to really prepare for the dangers deeper in the dungeon, or can skip ahead and enjoy a greater challenge. More advanced challenges may have multiple solutions - if you're properly prepared and have a keen eye you may find an easier solution, or at least a novel one. But there will always be a solution, you'll never be able to leave behind something you really need to beat the game.

Basically I'm going for a quality, thoughtful and fun experience with solid content while striving for the atmosphere that was so captivating about the best old 8-bit games of yore.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redflame View Post
Different areas will use different background graphics / colors - the whole game won't have green walls / floors.
Maybe so but all the screenshots show lots of green in the background. Might be good to show the variety in some different screenshots.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofunguy View Post
Maybe so but all the screenshots show lots of green in the background. Might be good to show the variety in some different screenshots.
I will on the next update. I'll post another update once some more art and sound is complete - so I can show a proper video.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I was going to wait for the video to update. However I have the first pass of the UI integrated, the character and a variety of sprites. In addition the player can now take damage and die as well. I'm currently working on the trigger/state system, which will be how pressure plates, doors, treasure chests and so forth work followed by basic combat.

Anyway these are basically the same rooms as last time, but the other rooms aren't really ready to show yet.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Very nice picture update! Will movement be continuous or stop-start turn based?