Support our Sponsors:

Old 01-06-2013, 05:45 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by masvil View Post
I wonder:

1. which hardware/cable is needed to have HD video mirroring? Is AmazonBasics cable good for that? Is Apple 30-pin Digital AV Adapter needed?

2. How/why app/game has to support specific output?

I'm evaluating to adopt a dedicated iPad (+ iCade) to be my only game machine, so I'm very interested
Well I think both cables are fine though I don't think that the Amazon one can do 720p/1080p. Mainly because it's RCA and not HDMI.

Any game is compatible but only renders in the aspect ratio and size of the ipad on the tv. But some games are specifically designed to render at 1080p when connected to the tv. Almost any gameloft game will do that and you can find some more on this list: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=88875

It can also lead to some very interesting features like splitscreen multiplayer in real racing 2 where other players use ipod/iphones/ipads as controllers.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by killercow; 01-06-2013 at 05:57 AM..
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
I wonder:

1. which hardware/cable is needed to have HD video mirroring?

2. How/why app/game has to support specific output?

I'm evaluating to adopt a dedicated iPad (+ iCade) to be my only game machine, so I'm very interested
Your cable you mentioned is not HDMI! Also, your tv needs to have a HDMI input.

Get this cable: 25 foot hdmi cable for $6.20.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s01_i00

This cable has worked for me. At first I was going to get a 15 foot cable, but man, now I am happy that I got the 25 foot cable as one person recommended, cause I use my ipad in more unexpected places than I thought. Plus you need a long cable so you don't get constrainted.

This generic cable is good quality, doesn't circle up, and has been very reliable, no problems even at 25 foot. Highly recommend it for $6. Don't get a 6 ft cable, your ipad needs space to move. Get the 25 foot even if you don't need the length now, it is plenty cheap and good.

For the hdmi connector, couldn't find a cheap alternative on amazon. I wouldn't risk a couple of bucks to get a china one and constantly getting a not recognized on my ipad errors.

The ones in the applestore are probably your best bet. Make sure you get the right one cause they make new lightning connection ones too.

Yeah, I too am curious whether icade would work with hdmi out. The cable comes out the bottom, so would it dock correctly? Maybe someone with icade and hdmi could let us know.

Ironman on ipad 3 hdmi

Last edited by Connector; 04-29-2013 at 02:41 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
For the hdmi connector, couldn't find a cheap alternative on amazon.
Have a look. Is there something interesting for us?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:42 AM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Have a look. Is there something interesting for us?
Yeah, I looked at lot of the generics on amazon, but wasn't happy with them. Many did not have a way to power your ipad like how the official apple hdmi connector does, also, reading a lot of reviews, many seem to work, but an error pops up that says this device is not supported by the ipad. Of course it will still work, but getting that error message would be a little irritating, cause I constantly hook up and disconnect my ipad with my tv many times a night.

Wish it could be wireless, but apple tv does not do mirroring as well as hdmi due to lag and I think the resolution is less in mirroring mode.

Anyway, a lot of the generic connectors are not that much cheaper than an apple one, to save $10 and have to wait a month to ship from china, or have one that keeps getting an error code, or to get one that does not power and charge the ipad; I just don't think it is worth it.

My recommendation would be, pay the $40 for an original apple hdmi from the apple store (many stores like target are $5 more expensive).

Buy the $6 25 foot hdmi cable I reference in an earlier post, this will save you a ton of money. This cable sells for close to $50 in a lot of stores.

So, for $46 and an ipad as the console, and an iphone as a wireless joystick, you have one of the most wacked and crazy consoles ever. Cables running everywhere, an ipad as a weird tilt and touch joystick, a dvr, music player, a crazy crazy console system.

But damn fun. I used to have an xbox with over 200 games, mame with like 4000 games. But my weird ipad console is sooo much funner. Games like alpha zero, asphalt, nfs, beat hazard, mutantstorm, deathsmiles, jetpack joyride, crumble zone, shmups, endless runners, driving games, repulze, wild blood, orc vengeance, lili, wraithbourne, dariusburst, etc play soooo well on a tv.

The list is endless, it is taking me tons of time to reload a lot of games to see if they will play well on tv. Even iphone only games look great, so I am starting to buy iphone only games like deathsmiles.

Anyway, in conclusion, recommend everyone to go to target or any store, buy it, try it, if you don't like it, return it for your full money back. Also make sure your tv is hdmi compliant and that your tv has a lot of zoom
Modes. My tv has many modes like original, wide, stretch, super zoom, panoramic, so I can pretty much force any landscape game to go fullscreen. Portrait games, you have to get pretty close to your tv cause all the zoom modes are pretty useless.

Try it, you all will be impressed, I sure am, and I hope more of you all join me on this weird console tech demo experience, but man, it is fun!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:27 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Try it, you all will be impressed, I sure am, and I hope more of you all join me on this weird console tech demo experience, but man, it is fun!!!
I've been using HDMI since day one with my ipad 2 and I love it. It's the only capable mkv player I have. But while I play some games with it from time to time, It's not always great. Modern Combat 4's framerate, even on an ipad 4 is too low to be enjoyable and increases input lag, and every game using tilt is very awkward due to that cable. Nevertheless, I enjoy it and I love all those crazy ideas like the one found in RR2.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:29 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
I love all those crazy ideas like the one found in RR2.
RR2 is by EA, bro.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
My recommendation would be, pay the $40 for an original apple hdmi from the apple store.
Can you please provide a precise link?

Quote:
Buy the $6 25 foot hdmi cable I reference in an earlier post, this will save you a ton of money.
I'll do that for sure

Quote:
I've been using HDMI since day one with my ipad 2 and I love it. It's the only capable mkv player I have.
Which app do you use as MKV player? I'm currently using Good Player, but I'm not sure is the best for our purposes.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
RR2 is by EA, bro.

Quote:
Can you please provide a precise link?
Hdmi out for the ipad 4: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...cturer%3Dapple

Hdmi out for the ipad 2/3: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...cturer%3Dapple

Quote:
Which app do you use as MKV player? I'm currently using Good Player, but I'm not sure is the best for our purposes.
For me there's only one player that works perfectly: Avplayer (HD version for the ipad). With the latest updates it now supports any mkv with hardware decoding. Super fast and fluid.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:01 AM
In Time-Out
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Ipad 2 is 720p on hdmi out (For video). Ipad 3 and up is 1080p. Other than that it's mostly about performance, the retina aspect doesn't change anything. Some games will run better with the ipad 2 in Hdmi because it doesn't need to push that huge resolution at the same time, especially against the ipad 3.
Does ipad 2 output mirrored games in 720p? I think my new ipad is outputting mirrored games in 1080p, cause it looks much better than hd tv which is 1080i.

Also, how can retina ipad not affect the tv graphics? On my tv, graphics for retina ipad games look so much better than ipad 2 resolution games. It doesn't even seem close at all. So what your saying about retina not affecting the image on tv kind of puzzled me, I would have to disagree.

It seems like to me that everything on my new ipad screen is converted directly into 1080p format, so since ipad retina is so much sharper than ipad 2 resolution, it will display much better. Not ipad retina quality, but far better than ipad 2.

Let me know what you think. There seems to be so few people that have experienced the wonders of hdmi, it is confusing cause no one seems to know a lot of the technical aspects of hdmi, airplay, and mirroring perfectly.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:45 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

...made all the more confusing by the term HD being used for everything and everything. HD audio? Dubbleyou Tee Eff is that supposed to mean? Depends on the company pitching it. Then you have the phrase "true" HD bandied about as if they mean we REALLY mean it this time! Pinky swear! That is, until 4k becomes the "this time we mean it" HD.

1080i, 1080p, 720p etc are very specific standards for video output. They don't necessarily correspond with tablet/PC/phone/whathaveyou screen resolutions. I think HD only Refers to an ability to, at least in theory, play back a video encoded in an hD format without sacrificing image quality.

But now I've gobe and gotten myself confused