Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-07-2013, 04:18 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Default Dungeon Masters (by SUPE, LLC)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Looks like a remake of the classic game Dungeon Master.

Hope this will come for the iPhone, too!

Last edited by Echoseven; 01-09-2013 at 02:05 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 04:21 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

No. Way.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:33 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Yep this was posted in ipod touch/iphone games section initially.

Hope this comes to ipod not just ipad. Anyone tried it yet ? Seems very close to the original !
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
No. Way.

No-way-what?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Played it for a couple of minutes. Fun. Graphics seem dated (duh) but the game play seems to be there. No real instructions that I saw. Hard to tell equips and who can equip what and so on, but a good start.

I don't think they be able to get this to iPhone, due to the amount of Precision tapping needed to explore and exchange items between party members.

I played a lot of dungeon hack on the old pc, and this is pretty similar.

Will post more after I get a chance to explore some more.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Impressions

It's Dungeon Master. It works.

Ok, it doesn't work as well as it could. The interface for inventory management is pretty messed up. Equipping items and in particular transferring them from one character to another is a massive chore. So much so, I suspect something is actually broken and needs a fix. But it is manageable. And it is Dungeon Master.

The graphics have been spruced up a little from the original, but everything else appears to remain exactly the same. The dungeon layout, object placement, monsters, are as and where I recall them to be. (And the fact that I recall anything, almost what, 25 years since I last played it? Says a heck of a lot about the game.)

Another possible issue is to do with spell casting, and here I really can't recall: in the original game, were rune names displayed as you cast them? I think they were but am not certain. They aren't displayed here, so when you find a scroll that tells you to "invoke Ful for a magic torch," you might be scratching your head as to which rune that refers to. That is, assuming you figure out how to "read" the scroll, because any documentation for the game appears to be non-existant.

But it is Dungeon Master. And it is, objectively, one of the best and most influential video games ever made. And it is very difficult for a poor interface and an unnecessarily steep learning curve (initially) to eclipse that. The creepy footsteps and the various dungeon noises that echo close and far away throughout your descent, the exemplary level design that guides you to familiarise yourself with your surroundings instead of relying on an automap, the bond that you begin to feel with your characters as they progress in their abilities and in their journey, the puzzles, the loot, the challenge, the narrow victories, defeats, and escapes, all of that appears to be here and intact. It's a compelling, absorbing, rare experience, that may have lost the initial "wow" factor of being the first of its kind when first released, but overwhelmingly has retained the qualities which always stand the test of time, if ever present.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:37 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
It's Dungeon Master. It works.
But it's not Dungeon Master...is it? What's with the "s" at the end?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 AM

I have to try this.

I still remember buying this game - the smell of the shop, the magical moment when I loaded and ran it.

... and it's crazy that I still remember the spell 'Zo Kath Ra' - ridiculous!!!

I'm just afraid that it won't seem any good any more - everything's moved on so much!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM

Ripping off classics. Way to go.
Won't get my money.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
But it's not Dungeon Master...is it? What's with the "s" at the end?
A rose by any other name...

But yes, the "s" irks me a little too. As do the possible legalities of the whole release as well as not knowing exactly who is behind it.

On the other hand, the original game has been available to download for free for some time from various sources and on various platforms as far as I'm aware. And some effort has apparently been made to update the graphics for this release - again though, would really like to know who is behind it and what their possible plans are.

But bottom line: it's Dungeon Master, the "s" notwithstanding. (And if it makes you feel any better, "Dungeon" is all it says below the icon.)