Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 10-27-2014, 04:49 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Default Interesting stats from Unite

From the keynote "97% of active mobile users never pay for a game" that is purchase or inApp purchase.

Makes use of ads look more and more appealing.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:42 PM

Thanks. Might help explain our latest paid game release. I'm aware people like not seeing ads or IAP but the market seems very heavily skewed in the other direction...
Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
From the keynote "97% of active mobile users never pay for a game" that is purchase or inApp purchase.

Makes use of ads look more and more appealing.
Very true. But trying to jump in the free to play market these days without strong cross promotion is very difficult. ASO doesn't have as much a pull as it used to, at least until you break into higher download charts. It's hard to break a couple hundred downloads / day now w/ a free app unless it's received a feature, lots of promo etc. And ad revenue on iOS is way better than on Android. If you're just starting out in this market your best bet is to spend time creating a very high quality product and try and approach a respectable publisher that has a huge network for cross promo. Speaking from experience if you can do this your app can generate a few hundred $$ / day from Ads alone. But you need to be doing 2k-5k / downloads a day w/ decent retention rate. All in all, I think both paid and free models still have a market but your approach and of course product quality are 2 very important factors to consider. If you are making a quality RPG game that doesn't have mass appeal trying to go free to play w/o publisher or cross promo support doesn't make much sense. Why not try and cater to a smaller audience and justify your product with a good price? But if you're making the 50,000th flappy bird clone... first... please don't.... but if you gotta go free to play.

It's a tough market indeed but there are ways to break through.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:58 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I just posted cause the number was higher than I expected. Some people from microsoft hinted that the android and apple stores inapp purchases were main way people made a purchase unlike the microsoft which has a comparable stronger paid (although inapp purchase is still more).
Old 10-27-2014, 06:44 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
I just posted cause the number was higher than I expected. Some people from microsoft hinted that the android and apple stores inapp purchases were main way people made a purchase unlike the microsoft which has a comparable stronger paid (although inapp purchase is still more).
Ah gotcha. Anyhow, ya it's true what they say that 3% of people purchase something. But 3% is still a lot if you have a product that works for them. I mean 3% of how many users? 1 billion smartphone users? Don't quote me on that but that'd be my guess. I'm ok with 30 million potential buyers hehe... as long as you can reach them.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:56 AM
Developer
iPad Air

In a week of returning to the App Store, I have sold ZERO copies from two apps. Yesterday was the first free downloads - thanks to Twitter I guess - of f-i-v-e. I develop for fun but this is a piss take tbh.

As for *publishers*, we developers should disown the ignorant lot of them!

I will carry on coding forever, so maybe when I am 100 someone will say "what's that dot?"

Last edited by Xammond; 10-28-2014 at 02:00 AM..
Old 10-28-2014, 02:52 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xammond View Post
In a week of returning to the App Store, I have sold ZERO copies from two apps. Yesterday was the first free downloads - thanks to Twitter I guess - of f-i-v-e. I develop for fun but this is a piss take tbh.

I will carry on coding forever, so maybe when I am 100 someone will say "what's that dot?"
what are your apps?
Old 10-28-2014, 04:41 AM
Developer
iPad Air

Quote:
what are your apps?
My released apps automatically returned to the store when I renewed the old developer account on the AppStore HERE and HERE

Just the free one has an iOS8 issue when the game returns to the opening screen after playing, where touch fails both for the game and multi-tasking. The other app is fully compatible.

...Though I'm now thinking that an update is not worth it and I might as well focus on this new IAP Store instead. This week's refactoring of my new game just turned in to creating a new folder instead, I shall make something less.

Edit: hopefully fixed developer store-link to two app links instead.

Last edited by Xammond; 10-28-2014 at 05:17 AM..
Old 10-28-2014, 07:14 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xammond View Post

i think you need to look at your products a bit rather than blame the app store.

I don't see why publishers are arrogant. I know some and they all great. Just because they didn't want your product doesn't make then ignorant. Publishers are just looking for products they think they can make money on because that is there business. You should go to some gamedev conferences and listen, talk and network.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Developer
iPad Air

I coded that stuff 3 years ago, it just came back by itself! I renewed the account to prepare for a new launch, many prototypes and unfinished games since the above links were made.

The OP pointing out how little people pay had me 'flip' my attitude and finally join them in terms of monetisation method.

Yes conferences would have prevented this catching-up situ.