★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualBoyFreak View Post
I don't know, but possibly more than we imagine. I'm trying to continue a bit more. In my game I get 3 crystals every time I find a crystal rock. I'm not sure if this is because I updated the portal once. My portal is purple now. I really like the control scheme of this game. That's why I resist to stop, but I won't buy crystals. I'm anti-consumable IAPs.
Yeah I get three per block in my game too. But unless you spend all your time mining you won't accrue more than 30 or 40 before you realise you're wasting time looking f
01-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Quote:
I don't know, but possibly more than we imagine. I'm trying to continue a bit more. In my game I get 3 crystals every time I find a crystal rock. I'm not sure if this is because I updated the portal once. My portal is purple now. I really like the control scheme of this game. That's why I resist to stop, but I won't buy crystals. I'm anti-consumable IAPs.
Yeah I get three per block in my game too. But unless you spend all your time mining you won't accrue more than 30 or 40 before you realise you're wasting time looking for them instead of playing the game above the surface. So sad that people who want to play it properly have to rent their time in the game with IAPs.

01-13-2013, 09:44 AM
I have been playing this religiously for a week and haven't bought crystals or even bothered mining them. When I que up my blockheads to do something that takes time I do so on my iPad then go through Flipboard, Reddit, etc on my iPhone. I did get the $2.99 to cut the crafting time in half.

While I love Junk Jack I did not expect to get into Blockheads so much but I am truly hooked on it. It's got a fresh take and I love exploring, building camps along the way and finding new stuff.
01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
I respect mr ed209's decision, because after thinking about the issue - as well as watching gameplay footage of Minecraft on YouTube (Xbox 360 edition) - I agree with his position and would rather the dev (majicdave) took one of the following payment options:
1. Freemium with time constraints and one-off permanent IAP to remove them (think of the free version as a demo)
2. Up-front charge and no time constraints

Providing that options 1 and 2 are the same cost, I'd be happy with option 1: draws in players, allows them to experience game and controls, and then they can purchase the one-off permanent IAP to remove time constraints.

I will continue as I've only paid for the one-off halve crafting time IAP, but am anti-consumable IAP.

If majicdave wanted an additional revenue stream, I'd rather that he explore one of the payment options above and allowed players optional IAP for existing items e.g. tools, materials, etc, for those players who are too impatient and/or want specific items without wishing to find them / craft them.

As it is, I'm in the same position as mr ed209 and VirtualBoyFreak. Really like the slant on the Minecraftesque sandbox creation / exploration, especially the controls but loathe the artificial time restrictions.

Once I finish Mass Effect, as well as a couple of games on my iPad, I'll buy Minecraft on the Xbox 360 and that will be that as far as The Blockheads is concerned.
01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Such protest over optional IAP. It's really not necessary to play or enjoy unless its existence is what bothers you so.
01-13-2013, 10:42 AM
He has to make money some how.
01-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfrozen View Post
Such protest over optional IAP. It's really not necessary to play or enjoy unless its existence is what bothers you so.
It's necessary if you want some of the best tools and get more blockheads in your world. I have an extra blockhead (100 crystals) and another blockhead costs 200 crystals.

I agree that he has to make a living (hey, I bought the half-time IAP), but I find unfair that after buying the half-time IAP, some of the things will take a lot of time to get if you grind for crystals. Sure, 2.69 is much less than a full 3DS game which costs 30, but I never said I wouldn't pay 30 for a one-time IAP which removes the crystals... It's just that I don't like the consumable-IAP philosophy.

Anyway, now that I know how it works, it's not that bad, it'll just take more time to find crystals. I have spent 120 crystals (20 on updating the portal and 100 on a second blockhead) and I have 15 crystals now. It's just planning & mining.

Last edited by VirtualBoyFreak; 01-13-2013 at 11:13 AM.
01-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Quote:
It's necessary if you want some of the best tools and get more blockheads in your world. I have an extra blockhead (100 crystals) and another blockhead costs 200 crystals.

I agree that he has to make a living (hey, I bought the half-time IAP), but I find unfair that after buying the half-time IAP, some of the things will take a lot of time to get if you grind for crystals. Sure, 2.69 is much less than a full 3DS game which costs 30, but I never said I wouldn't pay 30 for a one-time IAP which removes the crystals... It's just that I don't like the consumable-IAP philosophy.

Anyway, now that I know how it works, it's not that bad, it'll just take more time to find crystals. I have spent 120 crystals (20 on updating the portal and 100 on a second blockhead) and I have 15 crystals now. It's just planning & mining.
I haven't found myself in need of another blockhead in the same world but I could see it being fun.

I am still working on circling the world with camps at all points of interest or rest stops.
01-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Friend me for multiplayer
Game Center: demon8126
01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfrozen View Post
It's the decision to impose an artificial time limit, driving the 'optional' IAP which grates. As mr ed209 observed, at first you put up with it, but once the honeymoon period wears off (12 hours for me!) it becomes more and more irritable - so much so that I have yet to play again after the honeymoon period. Note: now deleted.

No point beating this dead donkey any further because the necessary information to allow people to make an informed decision is contained within this thread. I'll still keep an eye on the game's progress in terms of updates and whether majicdave changes the payment method (doubtful).

Last edited by Riotgirl; 01-13-2013 at 12:28 PM.