★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Developers shouldn't bother with 3D games on the iPhone

06-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Developers shouldn't bother with 3D games on the iPhone

By 3D graphics I mean stuff like, Assassin's Creed, Real Racing, Doom Resurrection etc. And this is my opinion, I'm not saying it's fact.

Firstly, it looks ugly. No matter how technically impressive it is for the iPhone, it will always have jaggy edges, muddy textures and fairly bad animations. You'll never be able to make a truly good looking game in 3D, the best the iPhone can manage is servicable graphics that let you see what you're doing. They also tend to run quite poorly, with low framerates and the like.

Also, 3D graphics generally make for bad games. There are a few good ones, like Real Racing and Assassins Creed, but in general they tend to be let down by poor graphics and stability. Controlling the game in 3 dimensions is a lot harder with the iPhone's touch screen, and I personally find an on-screen analogue stick quite unweildly to control.

In short, 3D games on the iPhone are more expensive, look ugly, don't run so well and are awkward to control. Why bother with them when you can make genuinely nice looking, fun games like Rolando, or Plushed. It baffles me, quite honestly, and I'd love to see more cheap and excellent 2D games on the iPhone, replacing the 'hit or miss' 3D ventures.
06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twazzock View Post
By 3D graphics I mean stuff like, Assassin's Creed, Real Racing, Doom Resurrection etc. And this is my opinion, I'm not saying it's fact.

Firstly, it looks ugly. No matter how technically impressive it is for the iPhone, it will always have jaggy edges, muddy textures and fairly bad animations. You'll never be able to make a truly good looking game in 3D, the best the iPhone can manage is servicable graphics that let you see what you're doing. They also tend to run quite poorly, with low framerates and the like.

Also, 3D graphics generally make for bad games. There are a few good ones, like Real Racing and Assassins Creed, but in general they tend to be let down by poor graphics and stability. Controlling the game in 3 dimensions is a lot harder with the iPhone's touch screen, and I personally find an on-screen analogue stick quite unweildly to control.

In short, 3D games on the iPhone are more expensive, look ugly, don't run so well and are awkward to control. Why bother with them when you can make genuinely nice looking, fun games like Rolando, or Plushed. It baffles me, quite honestly, and I'd love to see more cheap and excellent 2D games on the iPhone, replacing the 'hit or miss' 3D ventures.
Have you played sway and star defense? They both look great in 3d.

06-30-2009, 07:46 PM
GOF and tiger woods are great too. So are touch ski and x2 football

LiamWUL Games Development
Gamecenter: walsh06
06-30-2009, 07:46 PM
But some games wouldn't even work in 2D. I'd like to see a 2D version of something like Zen Bound- it wouldn't work.
06-30-2009, 07:52 PM
a 2D livefire/killtest wouldnt work either. Nor a 2D F.A.S.T.
06-30-2009, 07:53 PM
Tell that to Nintendo DS. iPhone especially 3GS exceeds DS in every aspect. Telling iPhone developers not to make 3D games is like telling the same thing to DS game developers
06-30-2009, 07:55 PM
I tend to agree; iPhone 3D graphics are several generations behind current, somewhere around mid to late 90's. It's no wonder the iPhone is such a magnet for retro games eh?
06-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckard View Post
I tend to agree; iPhone 3D graphics are several generations behind current, somewhere around mid to late 90's. It's no wonder the iPhone is such a magnet for retro games eh?

You call that in the 90's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomdude View Post
...I vink you fail good sir. I don't vink vat yo get ze jok.
Proud Member of SAB
SAB Intelligence Officer
06-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Guess you didn't get the memo, but the 3GS has more processing and graphics muscle than the PSP. Look it up.
06-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah, actually. It looks late 90's PC.