★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-12-2013, 03:16 PM
The Growpedia is coming in a future update, for sure. It's one of many surprising wonderments already underway. Right now though, we're locked in a life-or-death struggle with the onslaught of so many players! So our priority is just boring tech first, because we're getting WAY more players than we expected!

As for buying items with gems, start buying those seed packs! That's both the slot machine you're looking for, and the way you can buy almost every item in the game (albeit randomly).
01-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Can doors be linked to other doors in different worlds?

01-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTYthebold View Post
Can doors be linked to other doors in different worlds?
Yes.

Doors can be given IDs, and doors can link to other doors via their IDs in both the same and other worlds.

Let's say you place a door in WORLD1 and give it the ID "ABC".

If you put another door in WORLD1 and put its destination as ":ABC" it will link to the previous door.

Now if you go to WORLD2 and put a door and link it to "WORLD1:ABC" it will link to the first door too.

Don't forget to give doors descriptions! Otherwise the destination becomes their description and this can give it away and allow others to link to doors without that being your intention.

You don't want people seeing the ID of a door they shouldn't have access to, afterall.
01-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seil View Post
yes.

Doors can be given ids, and doors can link to other doors via their ids in both the same and other worlds.

Let's say you place a door in world1 and give it the id "abc".

If you put another door in world1 and put its destination as ":abc" it will link to the previous door.

Now if you go to world2 and put a door and link it to "world1:abc" it will link to the first door too.

Don't forget to give doors descriptions! Otherwise the destination becomes their description and this can give it away and allow others to link to doors without that being your intention.

You don't want people seeing the id of a door they shouldn't have access to, afterall.
thank you thank you thank you thank you
01-12-2013, 09:53 PM
I've never played anything like Growtopia before, and I'm liking it. The only criticism is that the UI interferes with construction near the map edges, but that's not a big deal. I'm not a fan of on screen controls in general, though. Other than that, This is pretty addicting.
01-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Cappuccino View Post
I've never played anything like Growtopia before, and I'm liking it. The only criticism is that the UI interferes with construction near the map edges, but that's not a big deal. I'm not a fan of on screen controls in general, though. Other than that, This is pretty addicting.
It does have its moments like that. I'm rarely in those situations, but I do find myself having to tweak zoom for that purpose from time to time.
01-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Is there a way to protect my creations from myself? Perhaps a toggle-punches option? Could be handy in other people's worlds as well, for when you actually don't want to destroy their unprotected efforts for a seed or two.
01-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Is there a way to protect my creations from myself? Perhaps a toggle-punches option? Could be handy in other people's worlds as well, for when you actually don't want to destroy their unprotected efforts for a seed or two.
One option(and what I do when I'm trying to be careful) is to toggle to the wrench(tapping the punch button in the hotbar when it's selected will toggle, or you could select the item from your bag).

It doesn't disable your straight punch button, but it does keep you from accidentally punching things via normal tapping.
01-13-2013, 12:51 AM
That's a great idea. Who would've thought tile work and wallpapering, landscaping and the like would be so fun. I've done nothing but work and Growtopia all day. And, with the business we had at work today, I pretty much just played Growtopia.
01-13-2013, 01:10 AM
Quote:
That's a great idea. Who would've thought tile work and wallpapering, landscaping and the like would be so fun. I've done nothing but work and Growtopia all day. And, with the business we had at work today, I pretty much just played Growtopia.
Haha, I'm a fan of Minecraft, so I generally like this "genre" in both 3D and 2D. I played Terraria a lot awhile back too. And truthfully, they're so much more fun online. So an MMO that can be played on the go is a pretty interesting take on the concept.

I'm also quite fond of the splicing aspect of the game. I've barely built anything so far, though - most of my time has been spent growing and splicing lol. Waiting for a big idea to hit me(aside from my SEEDIARY project anyway).

Although I do have another idea, a trading world to help people make at least slightly more secure trades. But I really need another world lock before I can put that into action, and I'm saving my gems for further bag upgrades x.x

Anyway, if you have any questions, I try to keep an eye on this thread.