★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Just about 10-15 minutes ago, I was scammed of my Jetpack and my Pickaxe! One of the scammers was "iTiGG". The other I can't remember. But please, if the dev of Growtopia would please ban iTiGG and give me back a jetpack and a pickaxe I would be more than happy.
01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropod View Post
Just about 10-15 minutes ago, I was scammed of my Jetpack and my Pickaxe! One of the scammers was "iTiGG". The other I can't remember. But please, if the dev of Growtopia would please ban iTiGG and give me back a jetpack and a pickaxe I would be more than happy.
We don't ban for scamming, it isn't even against the rules. Players participating in drop trading have to accept the risk of doing so. This game is built heavily on choice, so stealing and scamming is not disallowed. If something isn't locked up, it is fair game. And a scam, at the end of the day, is just lying. Banning for lying would be crazy, haha.

When a scammer is caught red handed(seen by a mod/admin) they can, and often are, punished in some way, though.

People are aware that scamming happens and the best advice to be given is just be cautious and only trade with people you trust.

A trading system will likely be implemented in the future, but it probably won't be for at least a few weeks at the earliest.

01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Jordanrracer
Honestly I'd suggest not making a trading feature! Scamming is a way for players to keep on playing. It makes people smart.

I remember I used to scam people on Habbo Hotel, and boy did it prepare me for the real world.

Scamming is an important aspect to MMO's as it provides fun, excitement, loot, and you get to meet friends in the game to interact with to help you.

It also gives people a choice weither their mates are really trustworthy or not.

Trust me on this.
01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanrracer View Post
Honestly I'd suggest not making a trading feature! Scamming is a way for players to keep on playing. It makes people smart.

I remember I used to scam people on Habbo Hotel, and boy did it prepare me for the real world.

Scamming is an important aspect to MMO's as it provides fun, excitement, loot, and you get to meet friends in the game to interact with to help you.

It also gives people a choice weither their mates are really trustworthy or not.

Trust me on this.
I am in total agreement with this. Trading the way it is already is ESSENTIAL to the gameplay of Growtopia. It is a matter of trust, just as in reality! A trading system would almost be a game breaker. The only interest then would be growing and mixing seeds, and, that alone, is simply boring. It's a popular game and players love it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - Unknown. Keep it as is. Although a few players will complain, people complain about RL theft as well and don't get deported from a country for it! I advise against, I beg Seth. He had it right from the start on this subject. We will see what happens.

To all players: As it was stated before, only trade with someone you absolutely trust. This doesn't mean someone who was nice to you in game for one day; this means someone who you've known in game for weeks and would be willing to share anything with them, even if they didn't trade back. Because that's the risk you take anyway. Just be smart. And check the official Growtopia forums for known scammers and trusted people alike. Good luck to you all!
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
I was on the same side. And still am to an extent. But, a large number of players are pro-trading system, even the ones that accept having been scammed.

You also have to think from the point of view of the devs. Most people that get scammed are players who have spent money and are willing to spend money. This is required for the game to continue on. Giving those people less reason to play and socialize isn't going to help anything.

In the end, despite the game being built so heavily around player choice, and scamming being part of that, it makes the game a lot less fun for a huge portion of the player base.

Right now, it's easy to assume that far more than half of trade offers are scams. People want to be able to trade. But they can't, because generally they just lose their items. This just causes a whole lot of problems in the social aspect of the game.
01-28-2013, 10:37 PM
If you want to know scammers, then go onto the Growtopia forums or go on Mewoko's world Scammers...nowadays on the game, I like to overlook different trades in the game, seeing if any of the people in the trade is a scammer...I might get an account on the Growtopia forums to help get attention of different scammers
01-29-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seil View Post
I was on the same side. And still am to an extent. But, a large number of players are pro-trading system, even the ones that accept having been scammed.

You also have to think from the point of view of the devs. Most people that get scammed are players who have spent money and are willing to spend money. This is required for the game to continue on. Giving those people less reason to play and socialize isn't going to help anything.

In the end, despite the game being built so heavily around player choice, and scamming being part of that, it makes the game a lot less fun for a huge portion of the player base.

Right now, it's easy to assume that far more than half of trade offers are scams. People want to be able to trade. But they can't, because generally they just lose their items. This just causes a whole lot of problems in the social aspect of the game.
This opinion is valid (everyone's is) and I also must agree with this. But in MY opinion, if a trade system IS added, something else must be added to balance it out, you know? So that Iap consumers may be fairly paid amd still have the game be a fantastic freemium. There are plenty of ways to go about it, but it all depends upon what the devs decide upon, and we are all eager to find out what that is! I know I definitely am!! We shall see!

Last edited by repapermunky; 01-29-2013 at 12:34 AM.
01-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by repapermunky View Post
This opinion is valid (everyone's is) and I also must agree with this. But in MY opinion, if a trade system IS added, something else must be added to balance it out, you know? So that Iap consumers may be fairly paid amd still have the game be a fantastic freemium. There are plenty of ways to go about it, but it all depends upon what the devs decide upon, and we are all eager to find out what that is! I know I definitely am!! We shall see!
It's not as though scamming is the only way to get good items without paying. I farm almost all of my items myself, and I've only ever traded a couple of times.

I have received some donations, but those go toward researching for the Seediary.

I've spent $10, but that went toward inventory space instead of items, haha.

And once people get in the groove with farming, earning gems becomes extremely easy - as does obtaining more seeds for higher items.

Adding a trading system isn't going to break the great free model the game has.
01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
I guess Growtopia just isn't a game I can fully enjoy I guess... Thank you both for replying though. I do hope some sort of trade system is being developed.
01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropod View Post
I guess Growtopia just isn't a game I can fully enjoy I guess... Thank you both for replying though. I do hope some sort of trade system is being developed.
As of last night, the news popup begins with:

"Ok, it's now official, we are adding an in-game trading system. Until then, remember, only trade with people you trust. We do not ban scammers or replace items, it's considered part of the game.

But scammers beware, @HeroMan appears when least expected, and man, he brings the pain. So scam at your own risk."