Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-07-2009, 01:27 PM

Default Reiner Knizia's Poison Card Game

Reiner Knizia's Poison $2.99 quick filler light strategy card game with a good bit of luck mixed in.

On your turn toss your colored cards (Red, Blue, Yellow) that are either 1, 2, 4, 5, or a 7. Poison cards are green and always a 4.

4 players each player dealt 12 cards, play 4 rounds
5 players each player dealt 10 cards, play 5 rounds
6 players each player dealt 8 cards, play 6 rounds

On your turn you must toss one into one of the three cauldrons. If a yellow cauldron exists then you must throw yellow into yellow you can't start a new one. Poison cards (green 4's) are wild and can be thrown into any colored cauldron. If you cause the cauldron's sum to exceed 13 you must take all cards from the cauldron and leave your card you just played. At the end of a round each card you have is -1 point and each Poison card (green 4's) are -2 points. Poison cards will always be -2 points, however, if you have the MOST yellow cards, or MOST red cards, or MOST blue cards amongst the players you can discard them and they don't count against you. At the end of each round it'll show you the scoreboard. After playing 4, 5, or 6 rounds the game ends and the one with the lowest overall score wins.

So how does this differ than the real card game?

- Well I've only ever played 4 players poison. I've never played 5 or 6 players so glad I was able to give this a spin. 5 and 6 players does add a tad more tension to it if your able to horde all the cards from a particular color or not. Also seems to add more of a screwage factor compared to 4 players. So think I'll do that next time I got 5 or 6 people in real life.

- Has yellow cards and in the real version the third color is purple not yellow.

- Keeps track of amount of colored cards each player collects. However, this can be toggled off by clicking the circled i which will display each of the computer AI's names. In a real life game you'd have to memorize this information.

- You can mute the eerie music if you wish

- game resumes precisely where you left off if you exit game.

- iphone version costs $3 and real Poison card game cost $14 however, with the real life version you can play with humanoids.

- No shuffling required after each round and automated scoring.

edit: I have to say I'm a freakin genuis and rock at this game....proof below.

Last edited by mrbass; 04-07-2009 at 02:02 PM..
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM

Haven't played the game yet, but Reiner Knizia is the genius behind many of my favorite board games, including Lost Cities, Blue Moon, Lord of the Rings, and Lord of the Rings: Confrontation. I recommend all of these to anyone
Old 04-09-2009, 02:09 PM

No one who likes strategy card games has tried this yet? Hmmm tough crowd. I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought. True it's a lite strategy card game and not as good as Lost Cities or High Society (games by Knizia) for instance but still good perhaps $3 too high a price point for those who don't have the original Poison card game. So perhaps just for lovers of German Board Gamers like myself who knows.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Haven't got this yet, the price is a bit much as there's a lot of great games at the same or lower sum (and being chronically out of slots on my phone does not help). Poison is unknown to me but feels a little simplistic to maintain interest. Light games have a certain social aspect (screwage or "take that") that works better vs. humans.

Probably will buy this later anyway, just to encourage the publishers and Dr.Knizia.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:29 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I never played Poison until the I bought the app but its quite good! I'm definitely going to buy the board game as well now.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Huge Reiner Knizia fan, but for the price I really wished this let us play online against others. Minimal information sent back and forth should make this pretty easy to do, and I worry that I might get bored of playing the computer after too long.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Banned
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Mrbass, the knights of charlemagne is out! I know you would like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbass View Post
No one who likes strategy card games has tried this yet? Hmmm tough crowd. I'm actually enjoying it more than I thought. True it's a lite strategy card game and not as good as Lost Cities or High Society (games by Knizia) for instance but still good perhaps $3 too high a price point for those who don't have the original Poison card game. So perhaps just for lovers of German Board Gamers like myself who knows.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 AM

yea playing it now ...thanks for the tip 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 ...now go recommend that Chocolatier at $2...what a steal.

Regarding poison...so far logged about 5 hours into playing it. Still hard to say if it'll get old. Don't like it as much as Guan but there's as torn decisions to make in all of his games which I love about it.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:04 PM
iPad

A post from the developer in another thread is here:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpo...4&postcount=11

"In a bit of serendipity, our studio adapted Reiner Knizia's card game Poison to the iPhone shortly before he issued that announcement. It's in the AppStore now. If you're a fan of the original, I feel it translates well to the platform-- it's easy to learn and a nice game to load up if you have a few minutes to kill. It's a single-player game with 3-5 AI opponents."
Old 04-19-2009, 08:42 PM

I picked this game up a couple days ago, and just had the chance to sit down with it today. It took a few rounds to fully catch on to the rules and strategies involved. But I really like it. Obviously, I hadn't heard of the card game before this.

Other than the gameplay, which I really like (and which mrbass already explained in depth above), this game is very nicely made. The load time is perfectly tolerable (not instantaneous, but better than most), and your game saves when you exit, loading immediately when you return (without the introduction screens). Sounds are nicely implemented, and whether you're playing a 4, 5 or 6 player game, the screen never looks cluttered.

This is the kind of nice surprise I like to get when buying on impulse.