★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Why is my game Sumdoit not a hit?

06-01-2015, 09:33 AM
Why is my game Sumdoit not a hit?

I love math and created a game called Sumdoit which I think is original and a great math puzzle. It uses very simple math with no answer greater than 20 so that players don't need a calculator. My son who is 10 can do all of the levels for the 2x2 and I play the 1st level of the 3 x 3 to get a bit of a workout nearly everyday. But it has not caught on. Can any of you give me a reason why?
06-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Easy. People hate math.

06-01-2015, 11:06 AM
If you have a game in development its worth letting people here test the beta so you can get honest feedback. From that you might get to see what people like/dislike about the game

I'm sure your son will say the games great whatever!
06-01-2015, 04:07 PM
provide a link so people can give better feedback.

Casual math games isn't exactly a big market with of course the outlier or two that have broken into mainsteam.

Please follow me on twitter @JamesDestined I post lots of development from both my game creation and professional development.
Time to measure - Brain challenge https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/time...820864672?mt=8
The light box, can you solve it (free) (on google play too)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...6300?ls=1&mt=8
06-01-2015, 04:30 PM
Because most people is stupid - that's why. Only trash games prevail - that's how Market going last few years and that's the reason why CoC and other F2P farms/runners are on top.

Using Tapatalk
06-01-2015, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyacheslav_V. View Post
Because most people is stupid - that's why. Only trash games prevail - that's how Market going last few years and that's the reason why CoC and other F2P farms/runners are on top.
Yeah, right!! Oh, by the way, it's ' people ARE stupid', not IS! (LOL! Rather ironic isn't it?)
Anyway, one poster got it right. Math is just not fun! It's work! Really surprised it's not a hit? Man, if I had a nickel for every dev who thought that I'd be a rich man indeed!
06-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Sorry here is the link
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sumdoit/id933510213?mt=8

Yes you might be right that math is work. I think math can be fun and is great to exercise your natural problem solving skills. Does that hold true for puzzles like cross word games, do people feel they are work and not fun?
06-03-2015, 03:56 AM
Maths isnt fun. Games are fun. With a huge huge range of games out there which are fun i just dont see a maths game being a huge hit for young kids.
06-03-2015, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Maths isnt fun. Games are fun. With a huge huge range of games out there which are fun i just dont see a maths game being a huge hit for young kids.
It seems you are right. There are consistent players but no real growth. I think is is a good app but that don't mean much.
06-03-2015, 06:07 AM
Math is lots of fun, people love Math but most people don't like the academic way of doing it because that way is not designed for fun but for precision and interoperability so if a person has not much training in the academic way of doing math, these symbols and numbers don't mean anything to them. As a result, a Math game turns into "apply the formula" job.

For an example, if your game was not about reaching the target numbers but about filling cups with water much more people would have had fun. Essentially it's the same but when you say it like "fill this cup without drowning the bug that is at certain hight inside the cup" and cups are being filled with water from water balloons in different sizes, much more people will have fun to calculate that 6 drops + 9 drops is exactly at the level of the bug that is at 15th store/level.

However, this will only make your game more fun and approachable, you will need marketing to make it a hit.