Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
MasterChief3624 MasterChief3624 is offline
In Time-Out
iPad 2, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,529
Default Is my hatred of GameSalad still justified?

Okay, so long story short, back when I was a regular here and was here every day for like a year and a half, I obviously came across many apps and games. Well through these discoveries, I had a revelation: GameSalad was absolutely atrocious, and it was a scientific fact that if the game was made with GameSalad, it would suck immensely.

There was one exception. It was a 2D sidescrolling shooter with 8-bit graphics. I'm not sure what the name is anymore, but that was a good one. Actually, wait, I think a name just popped up: Max Vector? Who knows if that holds any significance.

Aaaaanyways, I was wondering if my hatred of GameSalad still holds true and is still justified nowadays. Or are there more apps coming out that demonstrate GameSalad in a more positive and competent light?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 AM
Tannorexic Tannorexic is offline
Senior Member
iPad mini, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somewhere in the spiritual realm
Posts: 598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Okay, so long story short, back when I was a regular here and was here every day for like a year and a half, I obviously came across many apps and games. Well through these discoveries, I had a revelation: GameSalad was absolutely atrocious, and it was a scientific fact that if the game was made with GameSalad, it would suck immensely.

There was one exception. It was a 2D sidescrolling shooter with 8-bit graphics. I'm not sure what the name is anymore, but that was a good one. Actually, wait, I think a name just popped up: Max Vector? Who knows if that holds any significance.

Aaaaanyways, I was wondering if my hatred of GameSalad still holds true and is still justified nowadays. Or are there more apps coming out that demonstrate GameSalad in a more positive and competent light?
Your first instinct is usually correct.
I steer clear from anything labeled gamesalad. I used to make games when I was like 13 with this engine called game maker.. I'd make the most pathetic "games" things like penises having to collect tacos. Gamesalad reminds me of that. Your not a developer if you have to use gamesalad, end of story. And there's only so many templates, doesn't matter what is released by who, it's all the same template, just with different sprites.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 AM
lord-sam lord-sam is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,485
Default

I haven't seen a GameSalad game in aaaages. Pretty sure they only lasted a year or so, in the first wave of iPhone games. Then came all the big boys like a more serious EA, and Gameloft, and blew it out of the water. Good riddence!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 AM
psj3809 psj3809 is offline
Moderator
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 8,193
Default

Just replied in that other thread

I used to dislike Gamesalad games, BUT they must have upgraded the Gamesalad software as theres been a few games (have to find the names of them) of games i enjoyed and i couldnt believe they were gamesalad games (as to me they all looked roughly the same, same basic gameplay etc).

I'm not as negative about GS games as i used to be
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Primoz Primoz is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord-sam View Post
I haven't seen a GameSalad game in aaaages. Pretty sure they only lasted a year or so, in the first wave of iPhone games. Then came all the big boys like a more serious EA, and Gameloft, and blew it out of the water. Good riddence!
Gamesalad is a game engine, not a developer.

And as pj said, gamesalad has been updated and if a game is made well, you won't even notice it's made with gamesalad anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 AM
undeadcow undeadcow is online now
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Mazes and monster ran on game salad engine didn't it not. Now there's another game that might have the engine ill look up the name
The developer of Mazes and Monsters, Monster Robot Studios, has done some masterful stuff with GameSalad like BeyondDead. I think there are still some limitations (awkward loading time) due to GameSalad but hatred is such a strong word.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM
psj3809 psj3809 is offline
Moderator
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Loading times killed both of those games with me I had to delete them.
You youngsters (gets out the violin) back in my day we had to wait 5 minutes for a game to load ! Now a game takes 10 secs and people delete them !

Agree about BeyondDead, had tons of potential but didnt enjoy that as much as i thought i would. Mazes and monsters isnt too slow, theres lots of premier priced games which take a while to load up and between levels
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 AM
JBRUU JBRUU is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
You youngsters (gets out the violin) back in my day we had to wait 5 minutes for a game to load ! Now a game takes 10 secs and people delete them !

Agree about BeyondDead, had tons of potential but didnt enjoy that as much as i thought i would. Mazes and monsters isnt too slow, theres lots of premier priced games which take a while to load up and between levels
Five minutes? You're serious?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM
psj3809 psj3809 is offline
Moderator
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 8,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Five minutes? You're serious?
Yeah back in the 80's you had games on tape (i mean you dont even get music on tape now !), so in the 8 bit years of the 80's, in the UK you had the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad and in the US the Commodore 64 ruled supreme.

As games were on tape you had to load them up and they took about 4 minutes minimum, some famous games took 8 minutes ! You kinda got used to it though, its like when i used the internet in the mid 90's on a 28.8k modem and had to wait a minute for a page to load up

So you got used to loading a game, you would start the tape up, then go off and do something else and come back to it.

One 'good' thing was you tended to play games much more, if you loaded up a game after 7 minutes you wouldnt switch games a few minutes later. Even if a game was quite rubbish you would perservere much more. Nowadays you simply exit and load up another one in a nanosecond.

As kids in the 80's you didnt get much pocket money, many games averaged 7.95 (about 12 dollars), you had a cheap budget range at 1.99 (say 4 dollars) which were often rubbish but you could afford one a week or so. So thats why i get a bit stressed when people moan about the price of some app all these years later at 2 dollars and i'm sure they get a lot of pocket money nowadays !!

Anyway as games were on tape the best xmas present you could ever get was a tape-to-tape player, so you could easily tape games from your friends. Home taping was huge in the 80's as like i say kids didnt have enough money to buy all these new exciting games. You thought copying was bad now, back in the 80's a bunch of blank C90 tapes full of games taped was common place in every kids bedroom !

Tomorrows history lesson talks about having only 4 channels for most of my childhood until satellite arrived in the UK in 1990. Imagine tv without cable !
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 AM
undeadcow undeadcow is online now
Senior Member
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,777
Default

There was another GameSalad game that was a world exploration focused "rpg" with a red robot that had a sword. I never got around to playing it but I remember it getting some positive feedback. Either the game or the developer was called Psi-Bot or something.

The GameSalad discussion is sort of a moot point because the Game Salad engine is relatively unpopular among developers so there are not many iOS games deveoped with it.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent