01-14-2013, 09:23 PM
#11
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 5,229
This wouldn't even garner any attention if Apple weren't such emulator-nazis.
01-14-2013, 09:51 PM
#12
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
This wouldn't even garner any attention if Apple weren't such emulator-nazis.
hahahahahahaha...

01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
#13
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Minneapolis, USA
Posts: 3,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
This wouldn't even garner any attention if Apple weren't such emulator-nazis.
Truly a quote for the ages. And +1 to your sentiments. That is gospel, sir.
01-14-2013, 11:38 PM
#14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarKitty View Post
Truly a quote for the ages. And +1 to your sentiments. That is gospel, sir.
+2 to that bonus then... I'd love to emulate a ton of old PC games (and RPG's like this) if I could!
01-15-2013, 12:30 AM
#15
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,263
hmmm.. I should try the DOSEmu that was in the store a long time ago... since I have an Ipad3 now and not a 1 I'm assuming Windows 95 will run faster lol... then I can play some good old games... hahaha
01-15-2013, 12:59 AM
#16
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by pka4916 View Post
My condolences lol
No need for condolences. This is actually a pretty deep and well thought out RPG/dungeon crawler in the Dungeon Master/Wizardry 8 tradition. From the developer website, it's clear that it's a PC port, and not a bad one. It does require a healthy dose of patience, since little is explained within the game, and even the online "tutorials" are pretty skimpy. You can figure things out, if you give it time.

The game is also pretty freaking brutal. I have yet to complete the first battle: I got killed twice, then ran out of battery just as I was getting a handle on things.

One really cool thing is that the game is first person, but you play your 2 characters individually, switching viewpoints at will. Combat is highly tactical, with position, action points, and distance making a big difference. You can fry your ally with area spells, for example, if you are not careful. At first the set up seems pretty awkward, but once you get used to it, it feels natural. You can even set one of the characters to follow automatically, and sharing equipment is very easy and intuitive.

And yes, the translation (from Russian, it seems) is pretty bad. Again, anyone picking this up should approach it with a ton of patience.

Sorry if this post is a bit incoherent. I need to go to sleep -- I'll try to spend more time with the game tomorrow and post further.
01-15-2013, 06:38 AM
#17
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 263
I hate that when I see a game like this I'm immediately skeptical of a scam or a rush job. I can't wait until the quality and reputation of ios games are never in question.
01-15-2013, 08:09 AM
#18
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttocs View Post
I hate that when I see a game like this I'm immediately skeptical of a scam or a rush job. I can't wait until the quality and reputation of ios games are never in question.
The game is neither. To be clear, I have barely scratched the surface (in fact, I haven't even finished the first battle) but so far it seems very much like a real game, even if it's not terribly polished -- especially in the localization department.
01-15-2013, 08:21 AM
#19
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
This is actually a pretty deep and well thought out RPG/dungeon crawler in the Dungeon Master/Wizardry 8 tradition.
This was the vibe I got from the screenshots. Thanks for impressions. Between the lack of a video though, the likelihood of an imminent price drop, and the discrepancy between your general tolerance for...imperfections and mine, I guess I'm still on the fence.
01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
#20
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Salem, Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 10,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
This was the vibe I got from the screenshots. Thanks for impressions. Between the lack of a video though, the likelihood of an imminent price drop, and the discrepancy between your general tolerance for...imperfections and mine, I guess I'm still on the fence.
I don't blame you. And I certainly want to spend more time with the game before I actually recommended it. For now all I can say is that it's essentially what it looks to be.