★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Iron Frost $1.99 -> Free

01-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Iron Frost $1.99 -> Free

I tried this game tonight. It's a pretty solid platformer with some chasing and bomb placing thrown in. Movement of the character is through touch swiping and bombs are placed left or right by the on screen buttons. Graphics are minimal yet still pretty cool. No IAP that I've seen. It does have GameCenter leaderboards though.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iron-frost/id578139929?mt=8

01-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Hmm. Thanks for the heads up!

01-15-2013, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
Hmm. Thanks for the heads up!
Your welcome.

It's nice this is one of the rare games I try because it looked cool to me and its actually decent enough to recommend to others.

In my time with it so far, no Ads either. So a lot of pluses right off the bat.
01-15-2013, 01:51 AM
NEVER tap on "Language" in the options because you'll never find back. Had to deinstall/install again.

But nice to watch and to play.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
01-15-2013, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
NEVER tap on "Language" in the options because you'll never find back. Had to deinstall/install again.

But nice to watch and to play.
Thanks for the heads-up about that; just grabbed it, and will not tap that thing.
01-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarKitty View Post
Thanks for the heads-up about that; just grabbed it, and will not tap that thing.
Yes. Unless you know Russian language. But there should be no problem because the default language is English. I just tried it in the hope there would be German inside.

01-15-2013, 03:11 AM
This game is very strange and hard to figure out. Even the other controls are strange. Oh well.
01-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
This game is very strange and hard to figure out.
Love the puzzle elements in this platformer. Needed six attempts to pass level #3. Try to figure out and read the tutorial. It's fun and not so difficult. Watch the self-running game in the menu screen for a while.

Switch all the "parking meters" from green to red. Then a special highlighted chain will appear at the top where you should climb up to solve the level. You'll be rewarded with a fine destructive animation.

Mines are time-limited. Lay some mines/bombs on different terrains and watch how the ground behaves. You can always jump down from bridges that look like horizontal ladders. There are blue tiles where you can't put mines. You'll always fall through red tiles. To reach certain parkometers put a mine in the platform above, make a hole (time-limited as well) and jump down.

Quote:
Even the other controls are strange.
They are working fine here on iPad 4. For me the default controls are okay but there are five alternatives in the options and "run always with multi freeze" or "run till touch with single freeze". ;-) Love the atmosphere and the animated clockwork background. After solving the puzzles try to beat your time. Good AI of the enemies btw.

Last edited by Habakuk; 01-15-2013 at 07:40 AM.
01-15-2013, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Love the atmosphere and the animated clockwork background. After solving the puzzles try to beat your time. Good AI of the enemies btw.
Yeah that got to me too. I love all the gears spinning and stuff.

In many ways the game reminds me of Donkey Kong & Donkey Kong Jr... though more in level designs and stuff. Maybe a little N+ mixed in too... but not for the abilities of the main character but just the way each level is a puzzle and you have to trigger all the crosshair looking things (I take it we're placing bombs on the targets).

I did burrow through the menu today and after the first 50 levels there is an option to IAP another 50 level pack. So, it has IAP, but I don't purchase IAP so the first 50 levels will have to be enough.

Also for anyone having issues with what to do in the game just start it up and then touch anywhere in the game play area of the screen and you'll get to see it demo a bunch of levels. Just watch the dude in the black suit.
02-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Free again. It had an update hit tonight. I'm downloading it now and can post about it if anyone is interested.