Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Yeah back in the 80's you had games on tape (i mean you dont even get music on tape now !), so in the 8 bit years of the 80's, in the UK you had the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad and in the US the Commodore 64 ruled supreme.

As games were on tape you had to load them up and they took about 4 minutes minimum, some famous games took 8 minutes ! You kinda got used to it though, its like when i used the internet in the mid 90's on a 28.8k modem and had to wait a minute for a page to load up

So you got used to loading a game, you would start the tape up, then go off and do something else and come back to it.

One 'good' thing was you tended to play games much more, if you loaded up a game after 7 minutes you wouldnt switch games a few minutes later. Even if a game was quite rubbish you would perservere much more. Nowadays you simply exit and load up another one in a nanosecond.

As kids in the 80's you didnt get much pocket money, many games averaged 7.95 (about 12 dollars), you had a cheap budget range at 1.99 (say 4 dollars) which were often rubbish but you could afford one a week or so. So thats why i get a bit stressed when people moan about the price of some app all these years later at 2 dollars and i'm sure they get a lot of pocket money nowadays !!

Anyway as games were on tape the best xmas present you could ever get was a tape-to-tape player, so you could easily tape games from your friends. Home taping was huge in the 80's as like i say kids didnt have enough money to buy all these new exciting games. You thought copying was bad now, back in the 80's a bunch of blank C90 tapes full of games taped was common place in every kids bedroom !

Tomorrows history lesson talks about having only 4 channels for most of my childhood until satellite arrived in the UK in 1990. Imagine tv without cable !
Some interesting stuff there mate. 4/8 minute loading time seems insane. I get worked up over anything more than 30 seconds!

Also, you mention copying from tape-to-tape. Is that not some form of piracy?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Yeah back in the 80's you had games on tape (i mean you dont even get music on tape now !), so in the 8 bit years of the 80's, in the UK you had the ZX Spectrum, Amstrad and in the US the Commodore 64 ruled supreme.

As games were on tape you had to load them up and they took about 4 minutes minimum, some famous games took 8 minutes ! You kinda got used to it though, its like when i used the internet in the mid 90's on a 28.8k modem and had to wait a minute for a page to load up

So you got used to loading a game, you would start the tape up, then go off and do something else and come back to it.

One 'good' thing was you tended to play games much more, if you loaded up a game after 7 minutes you wouldnt switch games a few minutes later. Even if a game was quite rubbish you would perservere much more. Nowadays you simply exit and load up another one in a nanosecond.

As kids in the 80's you didnt get much pocket money, many games averaged 7.95 (about 12 dollars), you had a cheap budget range at 1.99 (say 4 dollars) which were often rubbish but you could afford one a week or so. So thats why i get a bit stressed when people moan about the price of some app all these years later at 2 dollars and i'm sure they get a lot of pocket money nowadays !!

Anyway as games were on tape the best xmas present you could ever get was a tape-to-tape player, so you could easily tape games from your friends. Home taping was huge in the 80's as like i say kids didnt have enough money to buy all these new exciting games. You thought copying was bad now, back in the 80's a bunch of blank C90 tapes full of games taped was common place in every kids bedroom !

Tomorrows history lesson talks about having only 4 channels for most of my childhood until satellite arrived in the UK in 1990. Imagine tv without cable !
Are you sure you didn't grow up on Mars?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Dial up Internet was the greatest. The sound you got to listen to... absolutely priceless. Should make it my ringtone.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:09 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
There was another GameSalad game that was a world exploration focused "rpg" with a red robot that had a sword.
Okay, I'm intrigued. Now you must find the name of this game.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard_dabinski View Post
Also, you mention copying from tape-to-tape. Is that not some form of piracy?
Totally, as a kid i would buy as many games as i could but with so many games coming out and with friends having those you did tend to use up your C90's.

That was 30 years ago so i dont feel too bad talking about it now !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Are you sure you didn't grow up on Mars?
Ha ha you wait ! In 20 years time when your kids ask you stuff i'm sure they'll think you grew up on mars as well !

Believe it or not there was a life before the internet and 1000 cable channels
Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Loading times killed both of those games with me I had to delete them.
I see this brought up often as a knock on GameSalad and I don't understand it because Unity and Unreal both have longer load times than GS and they are considered the best out there. The loading time on Chaos Rings is huge. Anyone care to elaborate?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetSeven View Post
I see this brought up often as a knock on GameSalad and I don't understand it because Unity and Unreal both have longer load times than GS and they are considered the best out there. The loading time on Chaos Rings is huge. Anyone care to elaborate?
I never thought Unity had very long loading times at all. Or UE3 for that matter, even on my ancient iPod 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platyrrhine View Post
Dial up Internet was the greatest. The sound you got to listen to... absolutely priceless. Should make it my ringtone.
Ahh, now this I can relate to for once. I was born in the 90s and remember dial up...we used Juno (I know, you've never heard of it...well I haven't heard of it since we stopped using it) and the thing took forever to connect, disconnected when a call was received (which was a real pet peeve of mine when I was trying to download one of those god-awful game demos from download.com back then, on a sub 256kb/s connection if I recall correctly!) and didn't even connect half the time.

Quote:
Ha ha you wait ! In 20 years time when your kids ask you stuff i'm sure they'll think you grew up on mars as well !

Believe it or not there was a life before the internet and 1000 cable channels
Hard to believe. You wonder where we'll be in 20 years at the rate things are progressing. Amazing times to live in. Just think about living 1000s of years ago, the great inventions were the wheel and the printing press, those only occurred every few centuries! Now we're having breakthroughs seemingly daily.

Last edited by JBRUU; 01-15-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
I never thought Unity had very long loading times at all. Or UE3 for that matter, even on my ancient iPod 4.
Don't know about load times, but I do know the I used to DREAD the Unity logo. That's no longer the case, first off because I like their new logo, and second because the engine has greatly matured and now Unity games are some of the best on the App Store.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 PM

Send a message via MSN to JoshCM

Quote:
You youngsters (gets out the violin) back in my day we had to wait 5 minutes for a game to load ! Now a game takes 10 secs and people delete them !

Agree about BeyondDead, had tons of potential but didnt enjoy that as much as i thought i would. Mazes and monsters isnt too slow, theres lots of premier priced games which take a while to load up and between levels
when I got my first computer you had to load a game program from a cassette tape, usually it would take about 10-20 minutes. Sometimes it just wouldn't load at all. You had to watch a screen of crazy black bars for a long time before anything would happen.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Games...were on cassettes? How much could you store on those things?