Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM

Definitely will check this out
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Anyone know if the different wheels add anything statistically, or are they purely cosmetic?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Alrighty... I really didn't think that I'd be getting this, or getting into it, since it's a Chillingo title, and they've really been going downhill - but I figured, what the heck, I've got an extra buck... why not.

So far, I'm really enjoying it. The level layouts are great, especially once you get through the first easy group, and can really get into beating your times and getting gold (or whatever it is above gold) medals for each stage.

I do not like how expensive the 'cheats' are - but since they are so expensive, I'm guessing that they're permanent, which should be a plus.

You can also purchase a currency doubler for a buck, or watch video ads for 100 orb whatevers, though every time I've tried, it's said that no videos are available at the moment.

While going through each stage, tapping on the screen will send your character up into the air, and you can keep tapping to hover. He does, however, have a certain amount of fuel that he can use before he craps out and falls back to the ground. Luckily, you're able to refill your fuel completely by collecting the red orbs scattered through each stage. These also give you a little boost, helping to lower your completion time. There are also 3 batteries in each stage which you'll need to try and snag (kind of like stars) to 3 'star' the levels.

There are some typical level mechanics, like springs and the like, but what really makes me go back to it is trying to beat times, and move up on the leaderboard, though I'm not sure I get the set up for the leaderboard... it's not based on time, and actually - I'm not too sure what it is based on - unless GC just takes a while to update, and it's based on batteries collected, I'm not sure.

Anyway - it's a nice little casual auto-running one-tap 'platformer' - developed well, polished, physics are great...

just hope that the 'coming soon' stuff actually comes - based on Chillingo's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if it never does - but it's only a buck... so...

I still feel that if developers don't REALLY plan on making more content unless they sell a certain number of copies, they should not put 'coming soon' levels in the game, giving players false hope... those 'coming soon' worlds should be reserved for developers who are SERIOUSLY going to add that content no matter what.

Just... My opinion though...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
Is this a infinite runner or platformer cause people have said its both?
It's a level based auto runner... I wouldn't really call it a platformer, as there's not any real platforms. Just holes in the ground that you need to hover over.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
It's a level based auto runner... I wouldn't really call it a platformer, as there's not any real platforms. Just holes in the ground that you need to hover over.
I got a major question, how is the store inapp structure? Does it look like a freemium conversion in one month? Is it next to impossible to buy the better upgrades without buying more coins like many current Chillingo games?

This game doesn't look all that impressive, but I did buy Catch the ark, and while that game too has a huge freemium feel to it (the more expensive boats are impossible to get unless you buy coins), the game is one of the best tv playing games, so I bought a coin doubler in that game for 99 cents. Well worth a try on tv, SV, if you got your hdmi tv working ok with stretch mode.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I got a major question, how is the store inapp structure? Does it look like a freemium conversion in one month? Is it next to impossible to buy the better upgrades without buying more coins like many current Chillingo games?

This game doesn't look all that impressive, but I did buy Catch the ark, and while that game too has a huge freemium feel to it (the more expensive boats are impossible to get unless you buy coins), the game is one of the best tv playing games, so I bought a coin doubler in that game for 99 cents. Well worth a try on tv, SV, if you got your hdmi tv working ok with stretch mode.
I would have to say that yes... It does look structured the same way most freemium games are, and that other Chillingo games that have gone free soon after release are structured.

Pretty much everything worth getting is 5,000 coins and more, while I've played through the first world's 15 levels at least 3 times each, and only have 1,000 coins... That's on top of liking their FB page, following them on twitter and sharing the game on FB and twitter which gives you about 350 coins.

Really, I'll be surprised if it doesn't go free in the next or so.

Even if I bought the coin doubler, I wouldn't have 2000 coins yet.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Thanks, try catch the ark if you have the urge. Best chillingo game of late, but it may go free soon due to the inapp structure, but it is a fun game. Also, alien crusher pro got an update so it is a lot better, even though they didn't fix the music looping problem. Also vritra is an ok side scrolling shmup.