Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post
Wow! At 1.8 GB, you'll need to free up 3.6+ GB just to install the game!!

--DotComCTO
Yeah, just found out... The IPA is 1.8 GB and installed its 1.9, so you'll need 3.7GB to install if downloading straight to your device.

And Riven is the sequel to Myst. A point n click puzzle/adventurer. Definitely a classic. There's vids all over YouTube if you wanna know more.

I don't know anyone who isn't familiar with Myst... But if you've never heard of it, even if you aren't into p&c games,I'd recommend checking it out.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:33 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I have Myst installed on my iPad but still haven't played it... I suppose it would be a good idea to start with that before diving in here?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
I don't know anyone who isn't familiar with Myst... But if you've never heard of it, even if you aren't into p&c games,I'd recommend checking it out.
Bear in mind that if you haven't played any of the Myst series before, the puzzles are little less straightforward, less forgiving and less linear than a lot of adventure games. This isn't a bad thing if you have patience and like working stuff out on your own, but I've known quite a few people who have made a beeline for walkthroughs after less than half an hour in some of the games in this series.

This, for example, would not be out be out of place in the Myst series:

You walk into a room with a bunch of dials, levers, and buttons, all of which - with the exception of one button - seem to change something in the room around you. You hit the button a couple of times, but still nothing happens. Eventually you head off and a couple of minutes later, on the other side of the island, your keen eye notices that a random tree beside the path seems to have rotated 180 degrees since you last saw it.

Now, if you're lucky and the developers were kind, there'll be a some kind of icon or image nearby that will link the tree rotation to the button you pushed, but if they weren't, you'll be expected to figure out on your own that the rotation of a tree is linked to a nondescript button located a mile away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
I have Myst installed on my iPad but still haven't played it... I suppose it would be a good idea to start with that before diving in here?
You don't need to play through the series in order, but it is best to do so as each game builds on the previous ones story-wise.

Last edited by Appletini; 01-16-2013 at 08:32 PM..
Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

This making of Riven video is a nice taster for those unfamiliar with the game. (the video quality is pretty poor, unfortunately)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

The walkthough system, do you need the internet for that (lik in Myst)
Cause that was really annoying, and reason for me to quit that one.
Since I am at places with no internet sometimes..
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candykiller View Post
This making of Riven video is a nice taster for those unfamiliar with the game. (the video quality is pretty poor, unfortunately)

YouTube: video
That was fascinating. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candykiller View Post
Oh man, that was the video that came as a bonus on a CD when you pre-ordered Riven...
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

I am tempted.... :-/
Worth it?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Can you move around freely on this and realmyst? I downloaded the free iPhone version of realmyst and it had horrible graphics and you clicked where you wanted to go, I think it would be much more interesting if you had virtual joystick controls, I don't want to pay 5 if I don't know what the game is like to play.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexsIpad View Post
Can you move around freely on this and realmyst? I downloaded the free iPhone version of realmyst and it had horrible graphics and you clicked where you wanted to go, I think it would be much more interesting if you had virtual joystick controls, I don't want to pay 5 if I don't know what the game is like to play.
Well realMyst is ipad-only, so you must have downloaded the regular myst for iPhone, which doesn't have free movement.

And this isn't realRiven, so you won't have free movement here either.