Monopoly Here & Now - Does the AI cheat?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by conman_16, Jul 2, 2009.

1. conman_16

conman_16 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Roseville, CA, USA
    Alright I'm thinking about getting this game... One thing is holding me back though. Reviews (on the AppStore and the Internet) seem to differ on the AI. I've seen some reviews that say the dice are "rigged" and that the computer will almost never land on your properties and that you will land on there properties and taxes and such constantly.
    People who have this game: is this true? Does the AI cheat? Are the dice rigged?

Thanks

2. Happy Noodle Boy

Happy Noodle Boy Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    #2 Happy Noodle Boy, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
    There is no AI. The difficulty simply fixes the CPU's odds to always land where it wants and never land anywhere bad. In some ways, it's absolutely hilarious watching the AI get the most amazing rolls while you're still trying to get out of jail for the fourth time in a row.

So yes, the AI "cheats" and the dice are "rigged" because that's how they decided to increase difficulty. It ruins the game from any true randomness. Easy and Normal are way too easy to win and hard is just an exercise in frustration. I would love a true "random" mode and an AI that's actually smart and thinking of itself when trading.

Speaking of trading, in hard one player will immediately become the winner and the other CPU players will often make incredibly one-sided trades with it in order to make him win faster.

3. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Yes, I have noticed this too, and I've played many rounds. The Ai will definitely favor itself at times, but then again, it's also incredibly stupid when trading. It has no real long-term goals, so sometimes you'll be able to acquire more expensive lots and earn monopolies on them by trading low-grade properties. Any real player would be smart enough to not allow you to gain a monopoly, but the AI is stupid in this regard.

4. FearlessFreep

FearlessFreep Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Yes, definitely in terms of dice rolling it's 'rigged.' You can have an entire side or corner staked out with hoteled properties and it'll get the exact number to avoid landing on any of them - multiple times in a row. I dunno about making it more 'difficult' - really all it does is frustrate the player. I just laugh now at some of the unbelievable rolls it comes up with.

5. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    The posters above probably know more then me but I've never had any trouble with it. I usually win every time, but I never blow them out, even on easy. It's challenging, but my opponents seem to land on my squares just as much as I land on theirs. Again, I never noticed it, but if the others did I'm sure they know more then me.

It's a pretty good game though.

6. Twazzock

Twazzock Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Easy is ridiculously easy, they'll accept the worst trades and stuff. Only thing I didn't like about the game is that it goes through the whole process of animating the AIs turns. That said, it's still a lot faster than monopoly with real people who dawdle and spend ages counting money >_>

It's servicable as a monopoly game, could be better but it could be worse.

7. conman_16

conman_16 Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Roseville, CA, USA
    Could someone with the ability add a poll? Like vote for "computer cheats" or "computer doesn't cheat"? Because I want to see everyones opinion on this

8. smassiah67

smassiah67 New Member

May 18, 2015
    Yes it cheats

I've played the AI in Hard mode several times. In fact I often now play against 3 AIs. It definitely cheats. In fact I've noticed that, as the game hots up, with many houses and hotels on the board,...
    a) the AI frequently gets sent to jail, thus giving it reprieve from landing on your property
    b) I land on the AIs property way more than it lands on mine

In my latest game I had houses on the Mayfair set, the Old Kent Rd set and the ever popular Vine St set. Over about 6 rounds of the board it landed only on Old Kent Road, once!!! I couldn't believe it. This does take the fun out a bit, I have to say.

9. uhjeh

uhjeh New Member

May 22, 2015
    hahaha

Yea, I noticed it cheats... that's a ridiculous idea... As soon as I realized this I ditched the game. I mean for me it seems an insane thing to do. I will avoid any games from them in the future.

10. DaveSco

DaveSco New Member

Sep 14, 2016
    There do not seem to be any difficulty settings where the dice rolls are truly random. The Easy setting obviously favors the player. The Hard setting obviously favors the AI, and punishes the player for overly-aggressive decisions. The game is still very winnable if the player has a sound strategy. Every now and then the AI will steal a game by giving the AI opponents ridiculously good rolls and the human ridiculously bad rolls. It's very frustrating when that happens, but it doesn't happen often. I play on the Hard setting and win about 75% of the time (Overall Record: 123/175).