Support our Sponsors:

Old 01-19-2013, 05:39 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Best case scenario is to have an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. This way you have best of both worlds when you need portability vs. more screen real estate. If I could have only one, probably iPhone 5. Portable on the go, and stick to a console at home.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:18 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I don't understand why so many people use an iPad with just an ordinary case for protection and hold it in their hands to play games, read, surf the web etc., when there's cases with in-build stand on the market like this one:

I've used this case and similar cases since I got my first iPad first generation way back, and still use one now for my iPad 3.

I sit with it on my lap in the bus, on a couch, in bed - anywhere, and I only ever occasionally need to support it with a finger or two.

That way there's no issues with weight or awkward controls as can be the case in some games when you're holding the iPad with both hands.

I've looked at the iPad mini, but it's too small for my uses, I play games, read books, read comics, write on it, makes music on it and surf the web, and the smaller screen just don't cut it for me when reading comics and writing when having the keyboard up covers too much screen real estate on the small iPad mini.

Granted, you can't easily drop the iPad in a pocket, but I've always carried a bag anyway, before the iPad I always carried a book in a bag, now all my books are in the cloud, always readily accessible from my iPad, which is a godsend when you have a long commute to work like I do.

I can't fathom why people would choose the iPad mini, even if its a bit cheaper - you get so much more power and screen for a bit more.
Some games also have small fonts, which I sometimes struggle a bit with on the iPad, and on the mini it would be unbearable for me. (I'm looking at you Baldurs Gate:EE)...

Of course, if you have a limited budget and/or refuse to carry a light shoulder bag, the iPad mini might be the right choice for you.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:04 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushMyNoseOff View Post
Best case scenario is to have an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. This way you have best of both worlds when you need portability vs. more screen real estate. If I could have only one, probably iPhone 5. Portable on the go, and stick to a console at home.
Yeah, I'd go with this. Unfortunately for me I'm down a bit as I have an iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4 and iPad 3 so none of them are exactly at the top of their game, but I don't have any notable performance problems with current games so I'm in no rush to upgrade just yet. The end of the year may be a different story.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytebrain View Post
I don't understand why so many people use an iPad with just an ordinary case for protection and hold it in their hands to play games, read, surf the web etc., when there's cases with in-build stand on the market like this one:

Of course, if you have a limited budget and/or refuse to carry a light shoulder bag, the iPad mini might be the right choice for you.
Yeah, I agree with you, I hate cases. I use tripods, two of them are shown in this picture along with a sleeve when I put it into my backpack in the laptop compartment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (335.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Default The Mini is just plain awesome for gaming.

I actually own an Ipad Mini and I absolutely LOVE it!
I also have the Ipad 4 which I primarily use for business. I use my Mini almost exclusively for gaming and it has made my Vita look almost like old tech.

The thing about the Mini is that it is much lighter and easier to hold when playing games. And, the difference is striking when compared to the larger ipad.
The only gripe, which is a non-gripe for me, would be the absence of the retina screen. But, in truth when I did side by side comparison with my ipad 4 using the game, Infinity Blade 2, the difference was very small.

The mini is just plain more fun to play when it comes to games.
Even the more hardcore games like Modern Combat 4 and Shadowgun, I find myself turning to the mini every time. And, the battery life is ridiculously good. I average between 12-15 hours with the brightness at 75% and headphones.

If you are on the fence, get down from there and pick one up.
I have had no regrets yet.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:31 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Yeah, I agree with you, I hate cases. I use tripods, two of them are shown in this picture along with a sleeve when I put it into my backpack in the laptop compartment.
Well, mine is a case, but it have an build-in stand.
The one you're using would be a lot harder to use in the bus for instance, or just sitting comfortable with the iPad on your lap...
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Ok... thanks for the great inputs guys. So far, as I piece your posts out, the thing holding the iPad mini back is the lack of retina screen. My brother in law has an ipad2, and it does look a little bit blurry since my eyes are well trained on looking at hi-res in between my 4S and iPad3.

My question is... Since the ipad mini is essentially an ipad2 scaled down, and in effect increase the DPI, how GOOD is it then compared to the ipad2?

I really like the size and weight of the ipad mini on my hands when i tested it in the local istore yesterday, but i dont want to buy something i might regret later on if the lack of retina res becomes a bother.

Also, do we have an estimate when an ipad mini 2 would be available? Rumors maybe?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:40 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Ok... thanks for the great inputs guys. So far, as I piece your posts out, the thing holding the iPad mini back is the lack of retina screen. My brother in law has an ipad2, and it does look a little bit blurry since my eyes are well trained on looking at hi-res in between my 4S and iPad3.

My question is... Since the ipad mini is essentially an ipad2 scaled down, and in effect increase the DPI, how GOOD is it then compared to the ipad2?

I really like the size and weight of the ipad mini on my hands when i tested it in the local istore yesterday, but i dont want to buy something i might regret later on if the lack of retina res becomes a bother.

Also, do we have an estimate when an ipad mini 2 would be available? Rumors maybe?
There are rumors of an ipad event in march that would showcase both the Ipad mini 2 and a new ipad 5. I'd wait at least until then to see if it's true. Otherwise it would be logical to see it unveiled at the end of the year.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

The mini looks better than an ipad 2, but its not a huge difference. The mini for games looks ok, but its text and web that I find hard with it. So better, but not anything close to your new ipad though.

You can read the ipad 4/mini thread in the ipad gaming forum for info on release of the ipad mini 2, but it's basically up in the air.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:53 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytebrain View Post
Well, mine is a case, but it have an build-in stand.
The one you're using would be a lot harder to use in the bus for instance, or just sitting comfortable with the iPad on your lap...
I thought you were using apple's smart cover until I took a closer look at it now. I don't like cases cause they get in the way many times when one is gaming like in tilt games.

For the bus and lap, I would actually recommend an ipad mini. In a bus setting, the new ipads are way to heavy. Especially if you are standing up. Even sitting down, an ipad mini is easier to use cause of wait. I usually put my ipad on my sleeve as a cushion when I put it on my lap or when sleeping, put my sleeve on my chest and put my ipad on top of it until I fall asleep.

But weight wise, the mini is great for gaming on the go like on the bus or train. In those settings, I don't like to use my ipad cause of the weight and just use my iphone only. An ipad mini probably would be perfect in those conditions.