★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What happens to your savegames?

07-02-2009, 03:21 AM
What happens to your savegames?

Hi guys,

what happens if you change your iphone or you want to reinstall your iPhone OS or you jailbreak ist or unjailbreake it?

Are all the saves lost? It would be very demotivating if your losing the gameprogress in long games like zenonia, the quest, mecho wars or realracing.
07-02-2009, 03:25 AM
if you update the OS from iTunes the savegames will stay, but there's no way to transfer them to a different device

07-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the lion View Post
if you update the OS from iTunes the savegames will stay, but there's no way to transfer them to a different device
Yes there is.

iTunes creates a backup of all your saved data. You can install that data on any device. And you won't lose any saved data in any of those situations Kintaro360

Twitter: @Zincous
07-02-2009, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincous View Post
Yes there is.

iTunes creates a backup of all your saved data. You can install that data on any device. And you won't lose any saved data in any of those situations Kintaro360
That's true, but I'm afraid this process will create some issues if you, for instance, restore a backup taken from an iPhone 3G jailbroken to an iphone 3Gs not jailbroken.

Some system files from the jailbroken OS will pass to the new device and it will likely make a mess.

You can safely restore a backup from a different device only if it was taken with no jailbreak on the device. Otherwise mayhem may show up
07-02-2009, 05:12 AM
Do backups really include savegames? because there is a lot of people on the forums complaining about losing savegames if they delete a game, so I assumed they weren't included. Then you could simply make a backup on the computer before deleting the app from the device. Does it work that way?
07-02-2009, 05:26 AM
What Iīm doing is this. I access the iPhone via SSH (WinSCP e.g.) open the application folders I want to save from and copy the savegames to my pc. So if something is not working out I can copy them back on the iPhone and have my savegames back. The only problem is, that there seems to be no consistent system for saving. Often the save file lies in the documents folder inside the app folder. But not always. You have to look for it and if I find nothing I copy the whole app folder to my pc. For me, thatīs how it works.

Important to say, the iPhone has to be jailbroken to use this method.
07-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam the lion View Post
Do backups really include savegames? because there is a lot of people on the forums complaining about losing savegames if they delete a game, so I assumed they weren't included. Then you could simply make a backup on the computer before deleting the app from the device. Does it work that way?
i don't believe so.
I think it only backs up save games for those games installed on the device at the time of the backup.
as soon as you take the game off i believe the savegame data is removed and therefore cannot be backed up

07-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Nothing is going to work.

I change from 2G to 3GS and I lost everything.

I tried all that was said plus all the stuff that I read on the Internet.

There is no way to do it.

I do not know about jailbroken, because I didn't try.

The standard resources that we have are not enough to back up your saved games. All the other stuff (even the Safari history and icon arrangement, for example) will be restored.
07-02-2009, 09:51 AM
That's very harsh and stupid....
Hope that iPhone OS 4.0 stops this mess!
10-07-2009, 06:21 AM
What are the savegames

I guess, extracting the files via jailbreak and ssh is still the only option to backup game saves. Sometimes the savegame is located in the documents folder of the app. But lately there a lot games where i canīt tell what the specific file is that stores the savegame data. E.g. Monkey Island or Sandstorm. Does anyone know which file I need to copy to my mac? Games that big take forever to save completely on the hdd.

I still donīt understand why apple wonīt solve that special problem. Thatīs the least you could expect from a wannabe gaming platform.