★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best anti-crack solution?

07-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Best anti-crack solution?

I am looking at this developer's product

http://www.drobnik.com/touch/anticrack/

Can anyone share their 1st hand experience with this one? is this effective?
07-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I would be interested to know if anyone has experience with this as well. My app is very quickly cracked every update.

DURAK, the best card game, is available on the iPhone, iPad and now Mac!

07-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I can tell you this: All it will do is slow down the crackers, not stop them.

Right now all someone has to do is run a simple script which makes a downloaded app "cracked". That works for the vast majority of apps available at the App Store. Numerous apps use tricks like Anticrack in the link above, but all it does is delay the inevitable. The crackers see that the script didn't work, so they go into the program and look for "self aware" code (which is what Anticrack is) and manually remove it. Then they upload the modified app to the hacker websites and bittorrent.

Software piracy has been around as long as there have been commercial programs. It's just something you have to accept as a developer. Just remember that the majority of iPhone/iTouch users do not jailbreak, and even among those who *do* jailbreak, not all of them are pirates.

My suggestion: Use self-aware code if you like, but don't make it cripple the app if it detects that it's been cracked. Just write it so that if it is cracked, it puts a little reminder on the loading screen, asking the user to purchase the app. Don't make it intrusive (otherwise the cracker will just remove your nag screen). It shouldn't interfere with the game in any way. At least some people will decide to go ahead and buy it.
07-02-2009, 05:36 PM
i found this on ipodtouchfans forum maybe in your app you could include a search for this file
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=210203
07-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewy666 View Post
i found this on ipodtouchfans forum maybe in your app you could include a search for this file...
That would only tell you if the device is jailbroken, not that it had been pirated. My phone is jailbroken, but I still buy games.
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 can't crack any games with numerals or oddball characters in them like %, or @, so that would be a cheap solution. Although they could still manually crack it, but there is not many people that can do that method.
07-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalcadegames View Post
I am looking at this developer's product

http://www.drobnik.com/touch/anticrack/

Can anyone share their 1st hand experience with this one? is this effective?
Oh also I checked some of his apps on 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 and they are already cracked so I doubt his method is very good.
07-03-2009, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy18 View Post
Oh also I checked some of his apps on 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 and they are already cracked so I doubt his method is very good.
Greeeat! I pirate contributing to a thread dedicated to stop his actions.
07-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcup1100 View Post
Greeeat! I pirate contributing to a thread dedicated to stop his actions.
who said he was a pirate, anybody could have checked that site without downloading anything. O look, I just went on the site, am I now a pirate that should be hunted down? I hate it when people jump to conclusions

Beta tested: Parallelus, Galactic Gunner, Crazy Snowboard, IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPodder View Post
What? They make games for the iPhone/iPod Touch?
lmao
07-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy18 View Post
💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩 can't crack any games with numerals or oddball characters in them like %, or @, so that would be a cheap solution. Although they could still manually crack it, but there is not many people that can do that method.
actually there are a lot. it's a very easy practice to learn. i am not encouraging anyone to start, but the fact that you are willing or asking about paying someone for their protection which may delay your application from being cracked by a few hours, is a total rip off. it has become a cat and mouse game, everytime some kind of "new" protection comes out, they have a fix for it. real racing and toki tori had an amazing protection on them, better than what you can buy from a person, and they were eventually cracked. apple needs to step up and find a better way to curb their drm protection because the way it is now is a joke.

Boiler Up!
*Hated By Many, Loved By Few*