1414 Apps - Million Dollar homepage, for Apps

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by rikschennink, Jan 23, 2013.

1. rikschennink

rikschennink Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    #1 rikschennink, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    Hi Devs,

I just bought me an app spot on Norman Rozentals 1414 website, it's something like the million dollar homepage but for apps, it looks nice and might just maybe get a little bigger.

Cheap spots on top will move to the bottom once all slots are taken, so for now, you can buy some 'exposure' relatively cheap.

I guess it's kind of a gamble, I'm just curious if he can make a million dollars with this concept. :)

http://only1414apps.com/

By the way, I am in no way connected to this initiative (apart from the fact that I bought a space) and will not make a single dime of this, just thought some of you might be interested. :)

2. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Interesting concept. There's a built-in disincentive to buy though as the blocks get more populated since the price increases for less-visible positions. I don't think people will pay over $1000 to count on the board flip that makes the lowest positioned names into the highest ones. It's likely the earliest buyers stand to make the most of their purchases.

I hope it turns into a success for all involved.

3. rikschennink

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    Yes, I think you've got a valid point. Maybe he could, instead of flipping the entire grid when it's full, move the most expensive slots to the front once bought immediately.

4. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I found the site to work very poorly on my iPad, I'm not really sure who would want to go to a website full of adverts?

The million dollar page idea worked once 10 years ago. While this one does look neater than the usuall pixel mess they turn out to be I'm still not convinced

Can you track how many time people clicked on your game riksc?

Would love to know how you get on with it.

5. #5 DungeonPlunder, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    Very sluggish.. and which consumer would go to a bloated page of contentless advertising without any incentive? I see only one winner there and it's the page's owner.

Pass.

6. Didn't someone have a page once where they sold a pixel for $1 so people could advertise on it once ?

7. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    I don't understand.

Someone buys a block, they get a slot filled with their icon for all to see. But how is that website getting advertised to the public in the first place? How are those apps getting exposure if they're contained solely within that website that no one but the developers and the creator know about? By typing only1414apps.com? Word of mouth?

For example, I would've NEVER stumbled upon that site had I not read about it in this thread.

freeappaday and sites like it are famous because they use words that everyone googles: "free" and "apps". But what are the chances of someone typing "1414" and "apps" in the same sentence and stumbling upon the site?

I just paid a visit to Million Dollar Homepage and just looking at it made me cringe. To think all the garbage, pop ups, malware and adware Adblocker hides from me is condensed in a single website....*shudders*.

I apologize once more, I just simply don't understand how that benefits anyone aside from that Norman guy. If I have misinterpreted the point of the website I welcome some clarification. :)

8. rikschennink

Oct 12, 2011
    Webdeveloper
    Netherlands
    That would be the Million Dollar Homepage :)

9. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I like the money counter on 1414apps. It's good to see a constant reminder of how rich somebody else is getting for doing no work.

10. djskinner

djskinner Well-Known Member

I saw this thread a few days back and I thought exactly the same - just some website with no visibility that no one is ever going to see.

Is all to easy to spend your money poorly when it comes to marketing indie games. I've not yet come across something I consider to be a safe, reliable and valuable marketing opportunity that's not free. Are there any?