★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Any game as deep and fun as critter crunch?

12-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Any game as deep and fun as critter crunch?

I just got this game a few days ago, and am amazed at how deep it turned out to be. I really like the fact you unlock the extra modes as you play.

I have $5 left on my account and was wondering if there were any other games like this for that much?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
12-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
I just got this game a few days ago, and am amazed at how deep it turned out to be. I really like the fact you unlock the extra modes as you play.

I have $5 left on my account and was wondering if there were any other games like this for that much?

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Hm, haven't tried it yet, but a new game just came out for ipod/iphone called Bonsai Blast: Appstore Link

A bubble matching game that has over 90 levels, multiple game modes, multiple gameplay features, and very polished graphics/gameplay/audio.

12-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by l33j0hn View Post
Hm, haven't tried it yet, but a new game just came out for ipod/iphone called Bonsai Blast: Appstore Link

A bubble matching game that has over 90 levels, multiple game modes, multiple gameplay features, and very polished graphics/gameplay/audio.
2 things...
1. Nice name...
2. Blackbeards assault is half the price of this and looks a bit more polished...

But I haven't tried it, and probably won't get it at the price it's currently @
but let me know how it is.
12-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I want to try Bonsai Blast, but I already have Blackbeards Assault...

90 levels does sound tempting though.
12-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
Yeah, I want to try Bonsai Blast, but I already have Blackbeards Assault...

90 levels does sound tempting though.
I played this on my friend's G1 and it was actually really polished. Even though the concept of the game isn't quite the same as critter crunch, the style/gameplay reminded me of the polish of CC. I actually enjoyed Bonsai Blast more than I did Blackbeard's Assault as I have that game also.

BB does have a bit more variety than Blackbeard's though, that's one thing I noticed, such as bouncing balls off walls, using chutes for placing marbles, and more than 4x the amount of levels as Blackbeard's. Has 2 more game play modes than Blackbeard's too, and has generally equal amounts of in-game powerups.
12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Yea I do wish Blackbeards assault had more levels...
Well if this drops in price, and there is a colorblind mode like blackbeard I will most likely pick it up...
12-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337brian View Post
Yea I do wish Blackbeards assault had more levels...
Well if this drops in price, and there is a colorblind mode like blackbeard I will most likely pick it up...
Yea, the price is kinda up there, even more than what Blackbeard's debuted for (2.99). Also I don't think it'd be that challenging adding in colorblind mode in the near future, so I can expect that to be implemented without a hassle.

I also noticed its kinda hard to distinguish between red and pink looking at the screenshots, even for a non-colorblind person. I can imagine when things get a bit more hectic, mistakes would be made quite frequently.
12-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Can anyone comment on Bubble Bash? Some questions I have are:

1) How long do the 100 levels last and do they get boring over time?
2) How is Endless Mode?
3) Is there any kind of chain system when you clear objects?
12-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Im not sure if this is exactly relevent but i had gamelofts bubbebash for the ipod video 5.5g and it is pretty fun and i enjoyed playing it for about a week or so, but it might just be me but it might not, i think it has a low replay value. I enjoy playing critter crunch alot more its unique polished and deep